Wiki Update - April 2014

Post by kentsmith9
The Wiki version has been recently updated to better support our work for our upcoming translations.

One of the most visible updates is a new editor interface that appears as your default setting. You can change back to the original setting by going to your preferences page on editing and you can either:

Check the Show WikiTextEditor

or

Uncheck the Show edit toolbar

You can also use these same settings to enable the WikEd plugin.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
That rich text editor annoyed me from Day 1 but I cut my typesetting teeth on (Plain!) TeX :ugeek: :ugeek: and still prefer it to Word so that's hardly surprising. Most of the time I turned it off but I didn't realize there was a preference to turn it off permanently. Thanks!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by edsonajj
Ha! So I'm not crazy in having disabled it because I didn't like the wiki markup that was coming from using the new editor. :geek:

I would suggest for the staff to disable the newly added editor so that those who don't read this forum don't continue to mess things up.

Additionally I would add the request to include the new VisualEditor developed by MediaWiki that is both native to the software and in my opinion more user friendly than any other option.
It has officially not yet been released but it is already being used on some of the Wikimedia Foundation's wikis because it is very stable. If they find it suitable for their huge amount of traffic and edits then it should be for Waze too.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by Fredo-p
Does enabling/disabling Rich Text Editor also cause any issues or is it just to the "edit toolbar" option?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
Awesome. I've had WikiEd installed for some time now. I'll make sure to remove any things selected in the RTE.

In regards to the WikiEd, where can I find some detailed instructions to install it in Chrome using Tapermonkey? Keep getting an Update redirect every time I go to any wiki site. If need be, I can create a separate topic to ask about this so as not to bog down this topic with unneeded discussion.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
sketch wrote: I had the same problem with WikEd installed in Tampermonkey. I haven't tried it installed directly into Chrome yet.
I had a hell of a time trying to get it installed without it, let alone tapermonkey to load it. Ended up having to rename the file wikied.user.js

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote:I just added it to Chrome through Tampermonkey and did see the update warning. I have not seen it since, so maybe it only pops up once each day?

I am going to see if we can get it added as a gadget to our Wiki so it can be used without having the extension in the browser.
Awesome. Cause I felt like the fool for trying to install it in my user/config profile, not knowing that it had to be installed on the admins side. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sadly, for me, I get the update warning every time I re-open chrome. A few times a day at least.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Newer features in this latest set of updates:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
It appears the new editor is doing some additional modifications to pages without telling users about the change. We will investigate if this can be avoided, or what action we would like to take from here.

In particular we have found:
  • Wikilinks are being capitalized when unnecessary causing some Wikilinks to affect sentence structure when not using the alternate text format. Meaning this is OK [[Article name|what you want to appear on the page]], but this gets capitalized unnecessarily [[article name]] (example).
  • Line break "<br/>" characters are being added to the text when not necessary, causing unnecessary clutter in the Wiki page code. (example)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Thu May 15, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding Examples

Post by kentsmith9
Additional unintended changes identified:
  • Line Break (<br/>) characters being added between Category types unnecessarily. (example)
  • Category Types getting sort keys added unnecessarily. (example)
  • No Break Spaces being added where not necessary. (example)
  • Bold notation being reset from ''' to <b>. (example)
I will see if the Waze Wiki expert can check into these elements to stop them.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Fri May 16, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Adding Examples; added bold