Post by kentsmith9
The Waze Wiki team is still trying to resolve the above problems that come from the new WYSIWYG editor, but in the mean time users are making changes to the Wiki pages and don't realize that new editor is making a mess of pages they edit.

As of today I am requesting all Wiki editors to change their user preferences to not use the WYSIWYG editor until it can be fixed.
  1. Go to User Preferences for Editing
  2. In the Editor section uncheck Show edit toolbar. Consider enabling the other settings shown here for other improved experiences while editing:
    Preferences-Edit.png
    (26.16 KiB) Downloaded 673 times
  3. For a more visually helpful editing experience in the Wiki, consider adding the WikEd plugin. It comes with a very extensive set of toolbar options, color coding Wikimarkup content, and a partial WYSIWYG interface with no side effects. This is not mandatory of course.
  4. As I find pages showing the ill effects of the WYSIWYG editor, I will notify the user of the problem and ask them to stop using it. Failure to stop using the WYSIWYG editor will result in a short term block of the Wiki to protect it. Continued failure to comply will force a permanent block.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
edsonajj wrote:Additionally I would add the request to include the new VisualEditor developed by MediaWiki that is both native to the software and in my opinion more user friendly than any other option.
It has officially not yet been released but it is already being used on some of the Wikimedia Foundation's wikis because it is very stable. If they find it suitable for their huge amount of traffic and edits then it should be for Waze too.
Yes we have been considering add that as well.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Fredo-p wrote:Does enabling/disabling Rich Text Editor also cause any issues or is it just to the "edit toolbar" option?
The Rich Text Editor is the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor. The link to enable it is somewhat masked with the option I noted above. There are toolbars for editing associated with that editor, but frankly the toolbars with the WikEd plugin I mention is much better from my experience and has no drawbacks for making changes and edits unknown to the user.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Fredo-p wrote:In regards to the WikiEd, where can I find some detailed instructions to install it in Chrome using Tapermonkey? Keep getting an Update redirect every time I go to any wiki site. If need be, I can create a separate topic to ask about this so as not to bog down this topic with unneeded discussion.
I know a few people have loaded it into Chrome (I have not yet as I am still FF).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I just received word from Waze management that they have disabled the problematic Rich Text Editor from the server side for now. The settings to disable it are not required. The original editor is the default (and only built-in) editor currently.

The WikEd plugin is still available and a good choice for anyone doing significant edits.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I just added it to Chrome through Tampermonkey and did see the update warning. I have not seen it since, so maybe it only pops up once each day?

I am going to see if we can get it added as a gadget to our Wiki so it can be used without having the extension in the browser.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I just noticed I am getting the same repeated update notice on Greasemonkey in Firefox that I had not noticed before. I will likely disable the update check as well.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Fredo-p wrote:Awesome. I've had WikiEd installed for some time now. I'll make sure to remove any things selected in the RTE.

In regards to the WikiEd, where can I find some detailed instructions to install it in Chrome using Tapermonkey? Keep getting an Update redirect every time I go to any wiki site. If need be, I can create a separate topic to ask about this so as not to bog down this topic with unneeded discussion.
I had the same problem with WikEd installed in Tampermonkey. I haven't tried it installed directly into Chrome yet.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!