Road names/USA :: Additions, upcoming changes

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Road names/USA :: Additions, upcoming changes

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri May 02, 2014 2:48 am

I see what you mean. The BUSINESS, ALT, SPUR, etc. are probably less important in the shield on the map display than in the actual navigation, especially if you have to choose a turn based on a route's main line vs one of its loops or spurs. The letter suffixes in NY are a tougher call though, because the letter suffix appears natively in the shield after the number on the same sign piece.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Fri May 02, 2014 12:49 am

Not sure what you mean by "support"—you mean for shields? If so, yes, and that's what makes it such a difficult undertaking in the US.

The way shield rules are apparently written means they're flexible for numbers but not letters, so we'd have to define not only US-n, US-nn, US-nnn but also US-nnA, US-nnE, US-nnW... for US highways.

We want to support every system, but also we don't want to waste any space or energy on redundancies. We can put every type of SR-nnn ALT or whatever to cover each type of road, but I don't think Waze would appreciate us sending them a list with SR-nnn ALT, SR-nnn Alt, SR-nnn Alternate... on it.

To that end, I'd like to see some sort of standardization. If we use BUS, we should also use ALT, SPUR, CONN, BYP. If we want to use Alt, Spur, Byp then we have to use Business and Connector. Mixing all caps and initial caps looks bad.

That would apply to the US system and any state system that uses those designations. Other methods exist, and we'd write shields in for them too, but A at the end is always just gonna be A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri May 02, 2014 12:10 am

In New Jersey, BUSINESS is used for surface loop roads that parallel a nearby freeway with the same route number. ALT is used for other alternate loops, and SPUR is used for route branches that do not loop back to the main line. The word business is spelled out on all non-legacy signs to avoid confusion with the vehicle that carries lots of passengers, especially since some urban highways have dedicated bus lanes. New York, on the other hand, marks route loops and spurs with a letter suffix; it could be any letter and there doesn't seem to be any methodical reason to what letter is chosen.

I think we need to support all 4 means of non-mainline route designations to most-accurately reflect what people will see along the highway.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:57 pm

I think we should be consistent though — at least, if we're going to use it on some ramps, we should use it on all ramps.

As for the roads themselves, I was hoping for the possibility of getting shields for bannered routes, like one for "US-xx BUS" and one for "US-xx ALT" and so forth, so it wouldn't matter so much.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:54 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Although for this case, IMO, the first definition of BUS is a vehicle that carries people and could be a BUS route, BUS lane, etc. The abbreviation for "Business" is a secondary thought for most people especially without the period.

I get it. I think perhaps (maybe better in another thread), that we prefer spelling out business, but in the case of long segment names, or ramps with multiple wayfinder bits of information, we allow for use of the abbreviation for the sake of screen space.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:36 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
CBenson wrote:I don't like "BUS." Its a word.
I prefer "ALT" ...

I don't think we should not use something as an abbreviation just because it is a word. "Alt" is also a word, not only an abbreviation.

I agree we should not make blanket statements like that.

Although for this case, IMO, the first definition of BUS is a vehicle that carries people and could be a BUS route, BUS lane, etc. The abbreviation for "Business" is a secondary thought for most people especially without the period.

ALT is less likely considered by its definition of "high" than it would be its abbreviation of Alternate when put on a navigation application.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:44 pm

CBenson wrote:I don't like "BUS." Its a word.
I prefer "ALT" ...

I don't think we should not use something as an abbreviation just because it is a word. "Alt" is also a word, not only an abbreviation.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 am

This section should be reversed to show what is preferred first, not last:
Wiki wrote:== Official sources of mapping information ==

Being in the Waze community of editors means sharing information you discover and learning from the discoveries of others! You can see some of the (old) [http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=13695 official sources of mapping information (US only) provided in the forum] or check out the (new) [[Mapping resources/USA|mapping resources]] wiki page (preferred).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:15 pm

I don't like "BUS." Its a word. This is a case where I would use "Business."

Note that the FHWA seems to be pushing "Express" for variable toll lanes. Thus, you should be seeing more Local/Thru lane signage where there are no variable toll lanes.

I don't see an advantage to the Spur/Loop distinction. Is there a place where there is an I-XX Business Spur and a nearby I-XX Business Loop that could be confused for each other?

I prefer "ALT" "Alternate" "Spur" "Truck" and "By-Pass" I've not seen as sign for a connector route that I can remember so have no opinion on that one.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: abbreviations that are all-uppercase words

Postby dbraughlr » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:03 am

"Conn", "La", and "Penn" are examples of names.
dbraughlr

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion