Road Types (USA) – Airports and Surrounding Area

Moderator: Unholy

Re: dual-use taxiways

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:41 am

dbraughlr wrote:
sketch wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by a "dual use taxiway"; if it really is a taxiway also used as a public road, or as a small airport's parking lot, then that's fine.

Dual-use roadways in Cameron Park, California.

Good example. I added a link to the area and an image to the Road Types/USA page.

sketch wrote:Runways are displayed in 3.8.0 in the default day scheme only.

Confirmed. Although I noticed that many of the airports around me in the bay area have huge sections of the runways not displaying as if the names of the Places layer is obscuring it by about the size of a map tile. SFO is highly broken up as an example. Makes it pretty much useless as a navigation aide for a driver. :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Road Types (USA) – Airports and Surrounding Area

Postby pumrum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:27 pm

along the same lines of this conversation -- can someone with contacts at WazeHQ ask them what their advice is on the recent changes to Google Maps regarding airports? We have a lot of major airports where when you search for the airport name, the auto-complete result gets you to the google pin which is located at the geographic center of the google airport landmark -- directing the driver to go to a very wrong part of the airport, sometimes putting them in a place where there are no signs (charlotte) or can cause a lot of extra driving (nashville).

Waze has maintained that we shouldn't "hack" together solutions to make up for shortcomings in the software, but in some airports CMs/AMs are having to put in dummy roads that go out into the middle of the airport just to get drivers to the right place.

I understand the guidance to recommend that users manually select the "Waze" tab, but this is not a good option. If this is the recommendation, then the auto-complete should default only to show Waze results. I said it before and I'll say it again -- the fastest way to lose users is to get them lost on the way to the airport.
pumrum

Road Types (USA) – Airports and Surrounding Area

Postby pumrum » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Not to resurrect what should be a very dead horse -- but as of 3.9, runways are now returned in search results (can't say for certain that they weren't before, but they definitely are now). If we continue with our current naming standard (ABC Runway 18-36), and someone searches for the airport identifier, all of the runways turn up in the search results. In my opinion, this is not desirable.

Given this, unless the search engine is modified to omit runway segments from the result, I think we should backtrack slightly and name the runways simply "Runway 18-36" and omit the identifier.

pumrum

Postby sketch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:21 am

pumrum wrote:Given this, unless the search engine is modified to omit runway segments from the result, I think we should backtrack slightly and name the runways simply "Runway 18-36" and omit the identifier.

As I've said before, I think we should do this regardless of search. The IATA (or whatever) code is already visible on the airport's area place. Incorporation thereof onto runways is always redundant.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm going to resurrect this again. We brought up arguments but never made a change. I do not believe it is proper to include the airport code within the runway name. Also, the numbers in a runway number are, everywhere I've seen them, separated by a slash, not a hyphen.

I propose a change from, e.g., "MSY Runway 10-28", first introduced here and never changed, to, e.g., "Runway 10/28".
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:26 pm

sketch wrote:I'm going to resurrect this again. We brought up arguments but never made a change. I do not believe it is proper to include the airport code within the runway name. Also, the numbers in a runway number are, everywhere I've seen them, separated by a slash, not a hyphen.

I propose a change from, e.g., "MSY Runway 10-28", first introduced here and never changed, to, e.g., "Runway 10/28".

I agree,
The only benefit to including the airport name in the runway would be for search. Considering anyone looking at the nap will see the airport area name. And since we should never be searching for a runway as a destination - wazing whole flying is BAD - I see no reason to include the airport name in the runway name.

And I do agree we should map runways, they are a universal landmark.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
ImageImageImageImageNYImageImageImageImageImageImage
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby orbitc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:46 pm

sketch wrote:I'm going to resurrect this again. We brought up arguments but never made a change. I do not believe it is proper to include the airport code within the runway name. Also, the numbers in a runway number are, everywhere I've seen them, separated by a slash, not a hyphen.

I agree with Marc on this. I'm OK with mapping mapping runways, but no need name them with the airport name. That will only confuse someone searching an airport. We can name them "Runway 1L/19R" etc and not the Airport name
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby voludu2 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:52 pm

i agree with sketch and pumrum. The policy should be to leave the airport name off the runways. Waze is for cars. We don't want drivers coming up with that in search.

ImageState Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby pumrum » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:00 pm

voludu2 wrote:i agree with sketch and pumrum. The policy should be to leave the airport name off the runways. Waze is for cars. We don't want drivers coming up with that in search.

any objections to updating the wiki guidance to reflect this?
pumrum

Postby qwaletee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 pm

I'm OK with the proposal. I honestly don't care whether we name the runways at all.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion