Road Types (USA) – Airports and Surrounding Area

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Road Types (USA) – Airports and Surrounding Area

Postby pumrum » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:41 pm

sketch wrote:I agree on runways except that there's no reason to include any airport identifier, so "Runway 4R/22L".

I'm ambivalent on this one. I went with what's on the Revised Road Types (USA) to start, and tweaked it to be FAA instead of ICAO. I do think having the airport code in there could clutter up the map. I can also see very very slight value in having it there if it displays in the app. I do lean towards agreeing with you though - leave the identifier off and just call it "Runway 16-34" or "Runway 16/34" whatever the standard is

sketch wrote:I agree on leaving restricted-access roads off the map, and this was a significant part of that former discussion. The community agrees on this, I believe.

Excellent. Once we have a chance to codify it in the wiki, I will start reaching out to AMs and suggesting they clean up some of the on-airport roads

sketch wrote:I think some of this is in the Wiki already, I'm just not sure where. Agreed some of it should be in the Road types article.

Agreed. When the dust settles from the public roadway changes, we can pick this one up.

I think something that AMs should be doing ASAP is checking their airport Places to make sure the stop point is in the right place now that they're supported. I've run into a couple issues lately where Waze routed me around the back side of a very large airport - of course when I'm late for a flight :oops:
pumrum
State Manager
State Manager

Re: airport identifiers

Postby pumrum » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:25 pm

dbraughlr wrote:How about using the IATA for airports which have have one and FAA identifier for the rest?

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Where an airport code is required use IATA and fall back on FAA if IATA doesn't exist. I do agree with sketch though that we should probably leave the identifier off of the runway segments
pumrum
State Manager
State Manager

Re: runways

Postby pumrum » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:15 pm

dbraughlr wrote:Having the airport identifier in the runway name immediately identifies the airport.

That's assuming road names will be displayed on non-driveable segments (have we confirmed this)? That also assumes you would be near an airport, know enough to use it as a reference, but some how not know which one it is and have to look at the IATA identifier just to make sure you're not at the wrong airport ;)
pumrum
State Manager
State Manager

Postby pumrum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 pm

sketch wrote:Yes. They've been there at MSY for almost a year, not causing any problems.

To supplement this, a non-driveable segment such as a runway should never be connected to the driveable segment network, so the routing engine would not be able to route you onto a runway - even if a landmark/place marker stop point was physically on top of the runway. it will route you to the nearest driveable segment
pumrum
State Manager
State Manager

Postby pumrum » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:27 pm

along the same lines of this conversation -- can someone with contacts at WazeHQ ask them what their advice is on the recent changes to Google Maps regarding airports? We have a lot of major airports where when you search for the airport name, the auto-complete result gets you to the google pin which is located at the geographic center of the google airport landmark -- directing the driver to go to a very wrong part of the airport, sometimes putting them in a place where there are no signs (charlotte) or can cause a lot of extra driving (nashville).

Waze has maintained that we shouldn't "hack" together solutions to make up for shortcomings in the software, but in some airports CMs/AMs are having to put in dummy roads that go out into the middle of the airport just to get drivers to the right place.

I understand the guidance to recommend that users manually select the "Waze" tab, but this is not a good option. If this is the recommendation, then the auto-complete should default only to show Waze results. I said it before and I'll say it again -- the fastest way to lose users is to get them lost on the way to the airport.
pumrum
State Manager
State Manager

Road Types (USA) – Airports and Surrounding Area

Postby pumrum » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Not to resurrect what should be a very dead horse -- but as of 3.9, runways are now returned in search results (can't say for certain that they weren't before, but they definitely are now). If we continue with our current naming standard (ABC Runway 18-36), and someone searches for the airport identifier, all of the runways turn up in the search results. In my opinion, this is not desirable.

Given this, unless the search engine is modified to omit runway segments from the result, I think we should backtrack slightly and name the runways simply "Runway 18-36" and omit the identifier.

pumrum
State Manager
State Manager

Postby pumrum » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:00 pm

voludu2 wrote:i agree with sketch and pumrum. The policy should be to leave the airport name off the runways. Waze is for cars. We don't want drivers coming up with that in search.

any objections to updating the wiki guidance to reflect this?
pumrum
State Manager
State Manager

Postby qwaletee » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Should this topic remain open and separate from
https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=85397
NYC Metro | Mentor | USA Country Manager | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby qwaletee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 pm

I'm OK with the proposal. I honestly don't care whether we name the runways at all.
qwaletee
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby qwaletee » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:19 am

They should never see the sign, though. And we're probably getting pedantic.
qwaletee
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion