Road Types (USA) – Airports and Surrounding Area

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Road Types (USA) – Airports and Surrounding Area

Postby voludu2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:05 am

Back in October, there was no objection. Probably Could have been done then.
- the runway designation will usually be visible on any paved runway, unless a cloud or plane gets in the way. Any editor interested in naming runways is probably interested in finding out what they are called. Actually, anyone that interested probably doesn't need to be told where to find airport information.
- it is acceptable to name a runway according to this guideline. But is it necessary? Is "Runway" better than no name at all? Or are both "Runway" and none acceptable?
If there is agreement in that final point, I'll hit the edit link and start typing.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:52 am

voludu2 wrote:See: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1055650

The most important point is to use the code as wrtten on the runway or the FAA airport diagram./ Understanding the meaning of the codes is secondary -- that information should be available from a reliable source.

Who will make the change? The wiki article section appears unchanged so far.

I don't have strong feelings about this, except that I'd urge the text allow a generic default for those who really don't want to be bothered to find the FAA's (or equivalent foreign organization's) airport diagram.

This would provide symmetry with railroads, where we say "Railroad' is the default (unless you really want to research the owner of the track and take responsibility for changing it should the owner change names).

So, I'd suggest the revision provide a default name for any runway of "Runway".
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby voludu2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:20 pm

See: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1055650

The most important point is to use the code as wrtten on the runway or the FAA airport diagram./ Understanding the meaning of the codes is secondary -- that information should be available from a reliable source.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby sketch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:48 pm

voludu2 wrote:I have amended the above for clarity.

USA Runway names should follow the standard names used on the runways by the airports. These are found on FAA airport diagrams for all major airports. This can be recognized as ##[LCR]/##[LCR], but the important and simple thing is to just use the runway code actually used by the airport.

Examples which could occur at the same airport include "03L/21R", "03C/21C", "03R/21L"

Good. They are also found on the ground at the airport. You will see a number on the runway at either end of it. Put the lower number first. As a sanity check, the numbers will always be 18 apart.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby voludu2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:24 pm

I have amended the above for clarity.

USA Runway names should follow the standard names used on the runways by the airports. These are found on FAA airport diagrams for all major airports. This can be recognized as ##[LCR]/##[LCR], but the important and simple thing is to just use the runway code actually used by the airport.

Examples which could occur at the same airport include "03L/21R", "03C/21C", "03R/21L"
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby PesachZ » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:47 pm

voludu2 wrote:Consensus seems to be:
* Naming of runways remains optional
* If runways are named, then the guideline must be: choose a name that will not confuse wazers
** this means NO airport name (search on airport name might retrieve runway, which is a very bad destination for driving.)

It sounded like the consensus was IF you decide to name the runway, then you should follow the standard name of "##/##( [LCR])" (two digits, slash, two digits, then a space and single letter if appropriate.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby voludu2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Consensus seems to be:
* Naming of runways remains optional
* If runways are named, then the guideline must be: use "Runway", followed by the standard runway identifier used by the airport.
** NO airport name or code
** Runway codes are found on FAA runway maps and written on the runways themselves. They follow the pattern ##[LCR]/##[LCR]. The second two-digit number will always be 18 + the first two-digit number. L, C, R are used in some runway codes, but not in all.
** Examples: "Runway 10/28", "Runway 9L/27R", "Runway 03C/21C", "Runway 03L/21R", "Runway 03R/21L"

Amended for clarity.
reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway
Last edited by voludu2 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby sketch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:32 am

tonestertm wrote:If we're going to name them at all, I agree that we should definitely remove the airport ID, and convert to slashes (confirmed with an Air Traffic Controller that slashes are standard naming).

AFAIK there is consensus that runway naming is optional, the same as railroad naming. I'm fine with that.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tonestertm » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:10 pm

If we're going to name them at all, I agree that we should definitely remove the airport ID, and convert to slashes (confirmed with an Air Traffic Controller that slashes are standard naming).
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby qwaletee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 pm

I'm OK with the proposal. I honestly don't care whether we name the runways at all.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion