Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by kentsmith9
I added nearly all the thoughts from the thread into the outline and comments on the page. I left them visible (not hidden editor comments) to remind us we need to write out the content.

Since I don't use chat, I am not comfortable driving this page, but I am happy to provide Wiki editor feedback if someone wants to give it a shot.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
As a construction page, I think we are fine to make changes directly on the page or people can propose section changes here.

I am minimally proposing that someone step forward who who uses Chat and feels comfortable "leading" the initial editing changes. That person would convert contributions in this forum thread and paste into the current construction page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
(EDIT: I did not submit my page until later and I see you already got them up. :mrgreen: )

Those look great.

PNG is preferred for the Wiki.

Wiki Upload Page

Look at another page with an image to see the typical formatting of the Image file. Just get it linked to the page in the section you talk about it and I can tweak it from there once you are done.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Looking really good.

I agree with Vectorspace on the table for the visibility and unread messages.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I did not fix the centering yet. I will do that in a few hours after I return.

I added an alternate table format. The original is in comments on the page if we hate the new table. I think the new table make it easier to tell what is related to what.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
vectorspace wrote:
  • The rapid-pace, real-time nature of WME Chat may sometimes cause those few participating there to make decisions on specific edits and editing policy that are not shared or socialized with others as they normally would be in the Forum and Wiki. There is no record of WME Chat available to the general editor population. While this can be good to make things move fast, it can also lead to conflict with others who may feel a need to know about what you've done or decided.
    • Each time something significant occurs in WME Chat that could breach Wiki or Forum Etiquette, make sure to follow up later by posting in the Forum, suggesting a change to the Wiki, or sending Private Messages (PMs) to other editors that may have interest.
Great points. I would further suggest that we also add something to say:
No decision should be implemented that goes against the current recommendations and guidelines in the Wiki or Forum until that decision is brought up in the forums for further review. Then if that decision is supported, the Wiki and appropriate Forum entry should be updated to reflect the change in recommendation or guidance.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
DwarfLord wrote:That latter point may be better off placed in the WME requests area but if Live Users really does default to off every time that's worth putting in the wiki. Unless it's there and I missed it...
Not sure I follow what you mean. At what point do you believe it is disabled by default? How do you get to that point?

When I am on WME and I select a permalink or refresh, if I had "live users" layer on, it stays on for me.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
In the troubleshooting section I propose we consider shorter section headings for the issues. Simpler headings are easier to scan and link from other places. We can move the detailed question into the answer below the heading. I might propose:

=== WME Chat does not exist in my editor window ===
>>>>>>> Missing Chat display

=== A specific editor does not respond to me in WME Chat ===
>>>>>>> Specific editor not responding

=== I lost my chat history. Why? ===
>>>>>>> Chat history lost

=== Chat was working fine, now I don't see any messages? ===
>>>>>>> No chat messages

=== When I post a comment, it shows up multiple times in the chat window. ===
>>>>>>> Duplicated chat responses

Alterations invited if I am missing some key points
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
vectorspace wrote:I can see your point, but it is also a style difference, trading a more familiar style of writing to something more dry and technical. Your style might also translate better to other languages. I get the issue about linking and easier to scan in the index. I really don't care which way it goes as long as it is consistent, so change it as needed as far as I am concerned. I only have a few caveats...

-- Make sure the content of the body doesn't have to change given change to the title.

-- I don't think "Duplicated chat responses" quite captures the issue. It is not really responses but the own user's entry. Perhaps there are different words. Even "Duplicated chat messages" makes more sense to me.
I think I understand point one, so after I make the change check what I did to be sure.

I understand your second point. I could live with "Duplicated chat messages".
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message