[New Page] WME Chat

Post by vectorspace
I think it's time to create a new page on WME Chat. It's been around long enough to see some good things and some challenges. I have a few ideas inspired by various editors and users of WME Chat. I'll just through out some ideas and perhaps we can create this soon and expand as needed.

WME Chat
  • Description/Background
  • Etiquette
    • Politeness issues
    • Language
    • Do not offer advice in other states of which you are not familiar, rules in other states may be different than your own (link)
  • How to use WME Chat
  • Beneficial Uses (describe each)
    • Rapid, real-time interaction while you edit
  • Drawbacks
    • Many voices can be confusing.
    • You may obtain wrong information, be careful who you trust.
  • Frustrations you may experience
    • You may not have a response to your request (reasons why)
    • Reloading your page will loose prior chat history
    • etc.
  • Alternatives to WME Chat
    • Text Chat (benefits, drawbacks)
      • Google Hangouts
      • etc.
    • Voice Chat (benefits, drawbacks)
      • Telephone
      • C3
    • etc.
vectorspace

POSTER_ID:4612247

Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Fri May 30, 2014 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Wiki link for convenience
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
Fredo-p wrote:How do we fit in that, unlike the forums, the conversations are "private" and don't include the rest of the editing community? Therefor, non-private communications that could benefit other members who choose not to participate in other means of communication except the forums will be "left in the dark" so to speak.

It should be noted that many still find the forums as the go to place for communication in general and that not every one chooses to use social media or external chat options as a means to communicate.

One more thing, don't forget that Facebook is also being used for communications. Some groups have created their groups in Facebook vs Google+.
Really good points...

(1) The ethereal nature of WME Chat is already mentioned in the current article. That's an OK thing. I would suggest that it says something like "If useful insight is shared in WME Chat that does not exist in the Forum or Wiki, please help others by posting that insight in the Forum or suggest it be added to the Wiki for others to access as needed." Existing mention is in the Disadvantages section. I will add this there, but it could be added in other places in the article.

(2) I will add something about social media, please edit as needed.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
Thanks PsachZ,

You know, I have to remember too many markup languages to remember the internal link syntax and assumed some good soul would change it for me. I was right! These all look good.

I didn't see Hangouts Pro changes on the article. Did you forget to add that? What is it? I was going to add other items to that list, and will when I get a chance.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
I did some significant editing and content addition last night and finished up just now. I know that it has to be adjusted more and others may want to add additional items given what I have entered. Please make changes as needed. If you need more from me, please let me know.

By the way, this is a really good team editing effort on a Wiki page... I wish that happened in more places!
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
OK, I will go look and add some ideas you can adjust as needed.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
Kent, PesachZ, Fredo-p,

Thanks for creating this base page. If you don't mind, I will add some content that you're free to edit, move, or delete as needed. If you prefer I provide ideas here for you to insert -- let me know.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
HavanaDay wrote:I do not agree with the absolute Do Not offer advice outside your area. I have seen other low level editors help each other out with great success. But it usually starts out with this is how we do it here so please check your local rules.

To expand on my thought. I think there should be something like that in there just not the absolute "Do Not".
I completely agree with you... I was rushed when I wrote this. My thought was more like this:

"Be careful offering advice outside of your local area. Regional and state differences exists (show a link or two to the state resources or forums) and your advice may be inaccurate in that area. Outdated areal images may be deceiving if locals are editing new construction areas. Providing advice on simple or common topics should be fine."
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Agreed. The page has been reviewed many times and is very well put together. I removed the construction box and put the link to this forum on the Talk page for quick reference.

That makes me think it might be good to have a template like {{PrivateMessage}} called {{ForumLink}}. It would be a message box designed to be placed at the bottom of a page that is directly linked to a discussion page already. It would simplify getting users with questions or concerns into the right place in the forum.
isn't that the purpose of the talk page? but it's a good idea nonetheless

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
Maybe use the forum template on the talk page. I agree we could make better use of the talk pages.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by qwaletee
Nah, o construction sign needed. Everything is always under construction. This one will receive a little more than usual lifecycle tweaks, but it is fairly stable.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
One other note. The add-on info in https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Waze_Map_Editor/Chat should really be shared with the add-ons wiki page via templating.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues