[Updated] House Numbers in WME

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Updated] House Numbers in WME

Postby krikketdoug » Mon May 05, 2014 12:23 am

Bigbear, there is nothing wrong with the location of where the places marker for Bistro Wasabi is. The address was throwing off results, if searching that way. I was using it as an example between the end point for a places marker versus address.

As a side-note, I loathe the system Google has with street-view. But that's just my not-so-humble-opinion. For some reason the senior Google staffers haven't consulted me on the matter... 8^)

I have another few comments to make, this time regarding another location some of us have been working on, but it probably belongs in the Waze App thread, as it's about the application implementation about places, not the editing. I'll post a reference thread if people want to follow, as it's related to what we've been talking about.. In the mean-time I have screen-shots I need to edit down to size.

And finally, since I'm a level 2 editor, could someone please delete the "house" marker at 3001 Finley Rd, Downers Grove, IL. From all the discussion here, it appears that it's best to just let the now-correctly placed Google marker for that Red Lobster handle things.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the help!

Krikket
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
Chicago Speed and Traffic Cameras
http://webapps1.cityofchicago.org/traffic/
krikketdoug

Postby krikketdoug » Mon May 05, 2014 1:55 am

Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
krikketdoug

Postby DwarfLord » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:46 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:What may need more discussion/clarification is this new statement: "If an address is on an unnamed private roads and the marker is a long way from the actual house location, it is advisable to delete the Waze house number and properly adjust only the Google Maps address marker."

After encountering a UR that may be due to this effect, I found my way to this entry in the wiki and thence to this thread.

Is this really our best current guidance? Delete problem house numbers when Waze won't let us place their associated stop points on roads other than the address road?

I had hoped that Waze was still actively developing this implementation. As discussed in this thread there are many cases where it doesn't work, primarily malls and rural areas with long driveways and private roads, but also occasional corner residences with access from the "wrong" street.

If not...OK...I can grit my teeth and delete Waze house numbers when they simply can't be fixed under the current implementation. I thought that was a bad, bad thing to do...can I say "the wiki made me do it"? :mrgreen:
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:49 pm

I mean, "actively working on" can mean different things, I suppose. I don't see any harm in removing house numbers that will cause problems for the foreseeable future, especially where using the Google result will lead to accurate navigation. Maybe it's not perfectly elegant, but it works now, and for my money I would prefer Waze work on things that make a big difference, like road closures.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Agreed. I think guidance should be at this point that where the stop point should not be on the named street, the house number should not be in the waze data.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby krikketdoug » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:33 pm

Some new unexpected behavior, that I'd like confirmation as to what's happening, instead of just making an educated guess and acting on it. :) (And I'm throwing it in this thread rather than starting a new one because they are related topics...)

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 960&zoom=5

For some reason Waze was routing me through an alley for a significant distance, crossing 5 streets in the process. The alley is properly marked a parking lot road.

The destination is UniMart in Chicago on Clark. (5845 N Clark) The start was near Clark and Argyle. Yes, I used the Google search engine, so I understand why the end-point was in the alley. But shouldn't it have switched to a regular street when the parking lot road crossed it?

To fix the problem, I suppose the location marker for UniMart could be adjusted on Google Maps, but is that actually the correct thing to do in this case, since the UniMart marker is correct for Google Maps' purposes?

Thanks in advance!
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
krikketdoug

Postby CBenson » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:25 pm

krikketdoug wrote:But shouldn't it have switched to a regular street when the parking lot road crossed it?

No waze applies a penalty to leave a parking lot road for another street type. Since going from alley to alley at the junctions where the streets cross do not require leaving the parking lot road type, there is no penalty. Once on the parking lot road, waze will try to stay on the parking lot road to the destination if possible.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby krikketdoug » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Ok. Thanks for the explination. The follow-up question is that is it better to submit a google map change to fit our model, or just advise the end-user of the reason for the error?
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
krikketdoug

Postby tonestertm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 am

krikketdoug wrote:Ok. Thanks for the explination. The follow-up question is that is it better to submit a google map change to fit our model, or just advise the end-user of the reason for the error?
First, check for a House Number.
If none, add one.
If one exists and is in the correct place, check to see if it has been "touched" yet (last edited by... in upper left corner when HN has been selected) -- if not yet touched, move HN to center of correct building location, place stop point at correct stop point. Important: even if it's already correctly placed, but not touched, pick it up and move it back to the proper location -- this increases the "Waze confidence" in the HN.

Save.

Go to Google maps/mapmaker; adjust marker closer to street than alley, but no farther (Google's routing uses a different technique than Waze's: this won't hurt their routing.)

Explain to reporter that an incompatibility between Waze and Google sometimes causes this, and that you've taken steps to improve the routing for next time, including the speech about deleting old search.
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:17 pm

tonestertm wrote:...including the speech about deleting old search.

I've just responded to a UR from a large estate. The Google pin is on the main house, as usual. But the driveway gate is NOT located at the closest part of the address street. It's much further away.

Naturally, Waze+Google positioning routes this reporter to the part of the street closest to the house, bypassing the gate by a long shot.

I don't plan to move the Google pin because I'd have to move it quite far from the house and that's not how Google likes to do things. I also don't want to add a private driveway because it will mess up routing for the neighbor.

So -- perfect application for a Waze House Number! I adjusted the house number as per instructions and moved the stop point to the driveway gate. I made sure to tweak a bit of road nearby to wake up a tile change. But, how does Waze deal with an old Google position and a new Waze house number?

• Is it necessary to remove the address from the nav list and favorites under these conditions, when the Google pin has not changed but is rather being superseded entirely?
  • If the reporter removes the address from the nav list and favorites, then searches for the address again, are they guaranteed to get the Waze House Number provided it's been "touched" and the tiles have updated?
  • If so, does the Google position then become completely unused by and irrelevant to Waze (except for users who haven't cleared the stale address from cache)?

I'm guessing yes, yes, and yes... :?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion