Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by qwaletee
tonestertm wrote:...
  • Matching Favorites, if any, will top the list, with a star icon at the left.
  • Previous results come next ... with a light blue "clock" icon on the left.
  • The immediately following result in autofills display a magnifying glass on the left and will take you directly to the full search results for those words without having to scroll to the bottom. Note that there may be multiple suggestions, depending on the entry.
  • New results follow, and use a "map pin" icon.
Tapping the diagonally upward pointing arrow at the right will populate the autofill search box with the result words shown in that given box without going to the full result page.
You are an awesome human being. I never examined this foundational piece of the UI that closely before.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Seems reasonable. Do we need more guidance about the use of private roads?
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Google is very much still in the picture, entering a search that gets you a Waze result is still hit or miss. Last I heard the autosearch still relies entirely on Google, though a couple of earlier comments lead me to believe that at least some editors think otherwise.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
The idea is that we'll only actually edit or add house numbers if we know them to be correct. So a user-added or user-confirmed Waze house number is generally the most trustworthy point of information we have.

For now we can "solve" it, more or less, by telling editors not to add house numbers for business with parking lot roads or for houses with shared driveways.

Automating the confirmation of Waze house numbers, or allowing the use of non-confirmed imported house numbers, will cause enormous problems not only because it will disallow us from making that assessment but also because some of the house number data imported into Waze is truly, truly awful.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
jdeyoung wrote:As I indicated, that leaves us at a bit of an impasse. I've lived in/around Chicago all of my life, and can look at addresses on a street and know they've all been mass-imported (like little toy soldiers all lined up) and placed too close to the alley. I'm not suggesting waze itself have this knowledge and do so automatically nor does it make sense to wait for each and every resident along the street to report a UR that their address is incorrectly too close to the alley. Should we wait for the hundreds of thousands of these to be reported? A better approach to solving these ad-hoc after a user reports a wrong location for the umpteenth time would be to solve these for entire streets at a time with a proper tool. It was a massive effort to mobilize editors in the area to attack the problem of alleys created from basemap as streets. Now multiply that by 40-50 addresses per block of all the residential streets and you get an idea of the amount of effort needed.
I don't think we have to be an an impasse, though, necessarily.

A single process that would make some users' lives a lot easier but that would also mess things up really badly for other users simply cannot be employed.

I'm not against a tool that would allow an editor, upon verifying that the house numbers on a particular street are correct, to confirm a large series of address points with one click. That would make your lives a lot easier without confirming a bunch of bad imported data.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
krikketdoug wrote:So when I do a search for "Sushi House", what point is Waze going to route me to, if there is a conflict between the street address it finds and the landmark. (Shouldn't happen, but I'm thinking about resolving future problems.)
The Place. House numbers are only used if you search for an address (and if it is matched with a Google address).

Say you add a Place named Sushi House with the address 3333 Jefferson Hwy, and also a 3333 house number point on Jefferson Hwy. Searching and routing to Sushi House will take you to the Place. Searching and routing to 3333 Jefferson Hwy will take you to the house number stop point (if the Google-Waze match works properly).

They don't work with each other. So if you have only added the 3333 house number, searching for Sushi House will take you to the Google/Foursquare/whatever point for Sushi House, while searching for 3333 Jefferson Hwy will take you to the Waze address point (assuming it works properly). On the other hand, if you have only added the Place for Sushi House with the 3333 Jefferson Hwy address — but not a 3333 house number — and search for Sushi House, you will get the Place in the Waze tab; but if you search for 3333 Jefferson Hwy, you'll get the Google address marker location.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
The endpoint can't be moved to another street by anyone.

I would just delete your house number from Waze and let Google take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
mdavidsonjr wrote:How about when you add new house numbers, does it use this new information for the navigation and override the external sources.
Yes (if the system is working as intended). Waze house numbers are used when manually added or edited in the Waze editor.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I mean, "actively working on" can mean different things, I suppose. I don't see any harm in removing house numbers that will cause problems for the foreseeable future, especially where using the Google result will lead to accurate navigation. Maybe it's not perfectly elegant, but it works now, and for my money I would prefer Waze work on things that make a big difference, like road closures.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
DwarfLord wrote:
  • Is it necessary to remove the address from the nav list and favorites under these conditions, when the Google pin has not changed but is rather being superseded entirely?
  • If the reporter removes the address from the nav list and favorites, then searches for the address again, are they guaranteed to get the Waze House Number provided it's been "touched" and the tiles have updated?
  • If so, does the Google position then become completely unused by and irrelevant to Waze (except for users who haven't cleared the stale address from cache)?
I'm guessing yes, yes, and yes... :?
So long as the matching process actually works properly, then you've answered your own questions. Favorites and history may retain some extra data for display, but for navigation, all that's saved is a lat and lon. No new search or match is done. So, I suppose, for the second question, I wouldn't guarantee anything, especially with respect to addresses on streets with a lot of abbreviations/modifiers or maybe possibly different spelling/wording (e.g., Google might support either "1234 Veterans Blvd" or "1234 Veterans Memorial Blvd", but Waze has the street only as "Veterans Memorial Blvd", so the former may not match). Also, the effect city names have on the matching process is unknown. So, no guarantees, but if everything works properly and as expected, then yes, you are correct.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message