Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sketch
DwarfLord wrote: But what a shock. I always assumed that the addresses stored in the app had some kind of time-to-live. If they do, however, it is apparently longer than six months.
Think of it not as an "address stored in the app" and rather as a "previous destination". It will take you to the same place it took you to the last time it took you to it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Oh... good points. I wasn't very precise when answering that question, it turns out. The perils of attempted multitasking. Technically speaking, my answers to the questions would have been "no" (and to the last, I would have said "yes", but been wrong).

Right, you don't need to delete the old listing, you just shouldn't use it anymore. A new search will work even with the old result in the list. And as I said, you aren't guaranteed to get the Waze number.

I wasn't aware that it was still possible to manually select a Google address result even with a matched Waze result, though. As far as I know, the Instant results (which are all Google) do go through the Waze matching process. I could be wrong here as well, but I hope not.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Regarding 1: while it's not necessary to remove the listing from your previous destinations, it may still be advisable, for the reasons you listed.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
jdeyoung wrote:... they've all been mass-imported (like little toy soldiers all lined up) and placed too close to the alley.
This makes me want to state a blanket clarification, for the sake of any beginning editors who may read this. My apologies to any who may be bored by it.

Unlike the way it handles Google markers, Waze routing Does Not Care where the Number portion of a House Number sits. The important routing work is done by the Stop Point. The Number bubble is just a placeholder, visually cuing us humans to which building the Stop Point with that address, ties.

What Waze does care about, is that the Number has been confirmed by it being handled, even if it's placed right back in the very same spot it started. This movement indicates that a human has reviewed the imported info and says it is correct. Simply highlighting a House Number without moving it does nothing toward increasing its confidence/trust level. (You can verify this by returning after a Save and seeing that the Last Edited by indicator does not show up after only looking at a given HN.)

Generally, any time I open House Numbers and see all the "soldiers lined up", they're nearly always in the correct order, but rarely in the correct position, indicating that the Stop Points will be in the wrong position also. I will spot check a number of addresses in Street View, or pull up GIS, and proceed to center the Numbers on the buildings they belong with, further adjusting any stop points as needed. Unless, as Alan indicated, that would present issues with buildings not located directly along their street. My pet peeve is that the houses at the end of dead-ends/cul-de-sacs are always left off, and require some sort of followup, but it's all part of the game.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion. :)
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
Last edited by tonestertm on Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by tonestertm
krikketdoug wrote:This business was in a strip mall with a complex parking lot. I was routed to the stop point, and then Waze quickly recalculated how to get into the lot and to the door of the business...

The way around this would be to be able to move the end point to the correct part of the parking lot road, but from the previous example of where I live, it seems like Waze is unable to do that.
This is the purpose of the "(Stop) Point" in the new Places system. If the parking lot is correctly mapped, and the Place is correctly mapped, with the Point placed on/near the closest parking lot segment, as long as you're navigating to the Place and not the Address (as described by Sketch, above) navigation should be flawless, no matter which direction you're coming from.

That is, of course, assuming you've chosen the Waze search result.... :D

(Might be nice if there were something in the auto-complete results showing from which provider each result came... off to the beta forum I go.... :) )
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
ARC for SW Region, USA
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by tonestertm
krikketdoug wrote:Ok. Thanks for the explination. The follow-up question is that is it better to submit a google map change to fit our model, or just advise the end-user of the reason for the error?
First, check for a House Number.
If none, add one.
If one exists and is in the correct place, check to see if it has been "touched" yet (last edited by... in upper left corner when HN has been selected) -- if not yet touched, move HN to center of correct building location, place stop point at correct stop point. Important: even if it's already correctly placed, but not touched, pick it up and move it back to the proper location -- this increases the "Waze confidence" in the HN.

Save.

Go to Google maps/mapmaker; adjust marker closer to street than alley, but no farther (Google's routing uses a different technique than Waze's: this won't hurt their routing.)

Explain to reporter that an incompatibility between Waze and Google sometimes causes this, and that you've taken steps to improve the routing for next time, including the speech about deleting old search.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
ARC for SW Region, USA

Post by tonestertm
While it is not necessary to delete the previous destination result, it is advantageous, because of the likelihood of the average user accidentally selecting the old result when doing a new search. It's much easier to just do away with the bad data than to have to dance around it.

When doing a search; (refer to the image below)
  • Matching Favorites, if any, will top the list, with a star icon at the left.
  • Previous results come next, and in the absence of a matching favorite, will almost always populate the top of the list, with a light blue "clock" icon on the left.
  • The immediately following result in autofills display a magnifying glass on the left and will take you directly to the full search results for those words without having to scroll to the bottom. Note that there may be multiple suggestions, depending on the entry.
  • New results follow, and use a "map pin" icon.
Tapping the diagonally upward pointing arrow at the right will populate the autofill search box with the result words shown in that given box without going to the full result page.

So in this case, the first item on the list is the Trader Joe's listing in my favorites, followed by a previously searched result for a different location, which in turn is followed by a suggestion for a full search based on the letters I've entered so far which, if tapped, will go to the full results search using that entry as the search term.
SearchExample2.jpg
(14.78 KiB) Downloaded 3569 times
and we can see the new results at the bottom of the list, indicated by a map marker.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
DwarfLord wrote:I would start by asking them to remove any instances of the address from their recents and/or favorites list. Then I would ask them to search for the address from scratch. A list will pop up as they type with various icons and text. But I am still not sure what to tell them next to maximize the likelihood that their routing problem will be solved.
First thing is to try a few variations yourself, in the app, and see what happens. If it works fine, all you need to do is guide them according to what you've observed. Barring that, tell them to click the result with the magnifying/search glass icon, and use the result from the Waze tab--once you've verified that it routes properly in livemap or the app.
CBenson wrote:I agree with what you are saying and the screenshoot is a good example of the various icons. However, I would note that POI and address searches are conducted differently. So the waze house numbers will not effect a search for "Trader Joe's."
I knew that was going to come up, and meant to say something about it, but I was half-asleep when I posted. :) Yes, mainly I was just trying to illustrate the different icons. Searching directly for an address can behave a little differently. Another point I wanted to make was that, since the Favorite and the previous results show at the top of the list, where users are most likely to tap, it's much easier to just have the user delete them first, than try to tell them not to use results with "a star or a clock" each time.
CBenson wrote:My current test case is 2172 Mulberry Hill Rd, Annapolis, MD. I'd be happy for anyone to check to see what results they get for this address. Some users seem to get different results than I do.
In autofill I get "2172 Mulberry Hill Road" with map marker as soon as I get to the "h" in Hill. Popping that result up to the search box and going full search (more results...) with it, it doesn't come up in the Waze listings, and nothing in the Google listings, either. (Possibly due to my being on the other coast.) If I go back and shorten Road to Rd, I get an autofill result, "2172 Mulberry Hill Rd" with a map marker. Both of the autofill results show me a point on Mulberry Hill Road which would appear to be the correct spot, but I can't tell for sure, because there's no HN in WME, and no Street View there. ;)

After adding "annapolis" to either "Road" or "Rd" and doing a full search, I then get a Waze result for, seemingly randomly, "2172 Mulberry Hill Rd" " 2172 Mulberry Hill Rd" (note the space in front of the number) but no Google result. It also alternately tells me it's either 2304 or 2421 miles away (no connection to the space/no space result), but when tapping the result, it shows the pin in the correct spot every time. Let me know if I didn't say any of this clearly, or if you'd like further experimentation.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
CBenson wrote:Where does the pin show if you select the autofill result?
The second image. Sorry, I thought that specifying on Mulberry Hill Rd would be enough... :)
There is a HN in WME:
Holy carp, Batman! I didn't zoom out far enough to see that one. :(
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message