[New Page Proposal] Water and Land Layer

Post by nhanway
After doing some searches I wasnt able to find anything about the water layer in the wiki. Of corse editors cant see the water layer unless they look in the live map or the waze app. But allot of lakes and rivers are missing, causing some UR's here in washington state. Also some lakes and rivers are incorectly named in the live map.

It would be nice to have a Wiki page called "Water Layer" to provide some information on how the Water layer works. like:

How to edit the live map water layer and how to edit the names.
Why some rivers are visible in waze and why some are missing.
Also when to add rivers and lakes and when not too.
Link to the WME street to river Pluin.
Links to state recource pages that include GIS/Parcel links that would have water layer in them.

Any information on how water layer works would be helpful.
nhanway

POSTER_ID:3160930

Send a message
Last edited by nhanway on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Since it's water/land, I think the page title could read with both, but have redirects for 'water layer' and other water-type items.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by davielde
nhanway wrote:Is there any way for us editors to edit the water layer?
Or
Is there any way for us editors to send a request to waze staff to update the water layer?
There is no way as an editor to edit the layer, but a good starting point would be to determine what Waze is using as a source for the layer. Perhaps the Champs already know, or they could ask if Waze would be willing to share the information. They may be relying on shapefiles outside of their control, where we would not be able to request customized changes.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
kentsmith9 wrote:Prior discussions have asked for access or the ability to edit it. We have never gotten beyond a basic conversation. It would need to be a custom setup and they have always been convinced it is not critical enough to put those people (able to do that kind of thing inside Waze) on the project.
Outside of asking for changes, could a Champ ask where it is coming from and if it is ever refreshed? Did Waze just use a standard hydro layer from TIGER or another source, and are they still using the original layer from 2009 or are they keeping it updated as the source updates it?

From a resource perspective, I agree with Waze that it's a low priority. I would much rather see resources devoted to editing the City layer. Besides, a "Sea/Lake/Pool" and "River/Stream" Place will render the same color as water. Even when the Big One hits and California sinks into the ocean, we could easily create a massive Area Place temporarily as a workaround.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by jdeyoung
Agreed that an explicit page is warranted for the water layer, but to say that there is nothing on the wiki is not quite right:
viewtopic.php?f=129&t=38934
I've not seen any water with "native" waze labels in my area, tho I experimented with placing a named water area over water I knew to be on the live map. Eventually the name shows up. Getting a name to show over water doesn't require any intricate mapping, since the blue blob is provided by the live map. Looking closely at my rectangle overlaying the water, I actually overshot the water. Looking at my client map, I noticed a gray corner of the rectangle that actually wasn't blue - which I thought to be odd.
Either way, it would be nice to know what the waze plan is for the water layer info they currently have - at least with respect to names. Then we can add guidance for water which should be mapped which isn't currently on the live map.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Sounds like a good idea. If we can collect some raw notes in this thread, we can create a page from that material. I have not spent any time on the water layer as most of my direct area is good.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Prior discussions have asked for access or the ability to edit it. We have never gotten beyond a basic conversation. It would need to be a custom setup and they have always been convinced it is not critical enough to put those people (able to do that kind of thing inside Waze) on the project.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I have no data on that. I was not deep in that conversation since my area had no significant water layer issues. Hopefully others can chime in.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:... perhaps relying on the 10% update process to get it done over a 10-day period.
(For the record in future searches of this data,) I was told recently that the update process is not so perfectly aligned to the "10%x10d" method we initially heard. That would be the best case scenario and could easily be a longer overall duration.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:I've heard the same as well. But to be honest, is that really a problem? If it actually takes a month to update the entire water layer, it's better than not updating the water layer at all.
No problem at all. I think it would be fine if it took a year; at least it would get updated eventually. :mrgreen:

I didn't mean to confuse the proposal. I just know these forums get quoted for Wiki entries all the time and wanted the details of the layer changes to have the best details as we know them. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message