[Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuvers

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby sketch » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:37 pm

PesachZ wrote:I added a note to the page that no-name agreements are treated as a unique name, and not as the name they inherit.

Excellent. That is very good information.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:40 pm

sketch wrote:
PesachZ wrote:I added a note to the page that no-name agreements are treated as a unique name, and not as the name they inherit.

Excellent. That is very good information.

:D thank you for clarifying it to me.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:26 pm

It was recently brought to my attention (HT: ottonomy) that there seemed to have been a recent change in the Waze routing Best Continuation algorithm to now also consider alt names. I ran a group of tests and the results we have so far, is if there is no primary name match at a fork in the road, the next check is for a alternate name match, followed by a segment type match if the alt names don't match.

The test results ↓:

[ img ]
I got results on testing alternate name effect on best continuation. √=instruction, X=Best Continuation, Green=No match, Orange=Primary match, yellow=alt match, purple= the alt of one segment match primary of the other segment.
If primary names match it's BC, if alt names match it's BC (NEW), if a primary matches one segment and an alt matches another - the primary match is BC, if a primary cross matches an alt it is not BC. So the BC algorithm should be modified to show order of preference; Primary name match, Alt name match, type match.

I propose to add this step (do alt names match?) Into the best continuation algorithm.

Any comments?

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:02 pm

PesachZ wrote:It was recently brought to my attention (HT: ottonomy) that there seemed to have been a recent change in the Waze routing Best Continuation algorithm to now also consider alt names. I ran a group of tests and the results we have so far, is if there is no primary name match at a fork in the road, the next check is for a alternate name match, followed by a segment type match if the alt names don't match.

The test results ↓:

[ img ]
I got results on testing alternate name effect on best continuation. √=instruction, X=Best Continuation, Green=No match, Orange=Primary match, yellow=alt match, purple= the alt of one segment match primary of the other segment.
If primary names match it's BC, if alt names match it's BC (NEW), if a primary matches one segment and an alt matches another - the primary match is BC, if a primary cross matches an alt it is not BC. So the BC algorithm should be modified to show order of preference; Primary name match, Alt name match, type match.

I propose to add this step (do alt names match?) Into the best continuation algorithm.

Any comments?

I think Otto was going to conduct some further tests to see the implications as relate to type-based best continuations as well. We've seen some evidence that the combination of type and alt-name continuity might override primary-name-only continuity.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:56 am

I've done some more tests and have found that the order of the alt names does not affect matching.

It is possible to have a alt <=> primary name cross match, but it requires there at least be one alt name on the s-in (even if it is no the matching alt). If s-in doesn't have an alt name, then even if the s-out alt matches s-in, it isn't used. It is yet to be tested what the results would be if only s-in has an alt name which matches the primary name of s-out.

City names don't seem to affect this algorithm as was demonstrated by an intersection in Miami Fl.

The Miami junction proved that an alt name match (even with a city mismatch in those alts), and a segment type match together on one side, trumped the primary name match on the other side.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:06 am

PesachZ wrote:City names don't seem to affect this algorithm as was demonstrated by an intersection in Miami Fl.

Thanks for reverse engineering this. Does this mean that the primary names must have the same city for the alt matches to work? Or does this mean that city matching is no longer a requirement?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby PesachZ » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:18 am

CBenson wrote:
PesachZ wrote:City names don't seem to affect this algorithm as was demonstrated by an intersection in Miami Fl.

Thanks for reverse engineering this. Does this mean that the primary names must have the same city for the alt matches to work? Or does this mean that city matching is no longer a requirement?

As far as we (Myself, ottonomy, sketch, ...) can tell, City names were never part of this algorithm, and that hasn't changed. (If they were part of this algorithm before, I am not aware of it, please enlighten me, so I can use it for further testing.)
For example:
s-in is primary="Southern Fwy, Chicago"
s-out is primary="Southern Fwy, Other City"
s-2 is primary="to Highland Pk, Chicago"
s-out would still be the BC

What we found yesterday to prove this was:
s-in is primary="SW 3rd Ave, Miami", alt="SR-972, No city", type=mH
s-out is primary="SW 22nd St, Miami", alt="SR-972, Miami", type=mH
s-2 is primary="SW 3rd Ave, Miami", type=PS
s-2 used to be the BC, but since this change s-out is now BC even though the cities on the alts don't match.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 am

Makes sense. Thanks.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby PesachZ » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:32 pm

sketch wrote:I think Otto was going to conduct some further tests to see the implications as relate to type-based best continuations as well. We've seen some evidence that the combination of type and alt-name continuity might override primary-name-only continuity.

Indeed.

His first results show that alt name match is preferred over a type match.

Confirmed that an alt name AND type match is preferred over just primary name match.

From what we've proven so far Tentatively we can say the algorithm looks for a match in order of preference;
1) Primary Name + Type
2) Alt Name* + Type
3) Primary Name only
4) Alt Name* only
5) Type only
*alts are only considered if s-in has an alt name.

If each of the OUT segments meets a condition listed above;
If they all meet the same condition, there is no Best Continuation.
If they each meet a different condition, the one with highest priority condition becomes the BC.

It has yet to be determined the priory of a primary <> alt cross match, though its likely higher than type, and lower than primary. This is being tested now.

I'm also testing;
If there's a preference when cross matching, if the primary name being matched is on s-in or s-out.
If s-out must have an alt name for a cross match to occur.

EDITED for clarity
Last edited by PesachZ on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby sketch » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:10 pm

PesachZ wrote:From what we've proven so far Tentatively we can say the algorithm looks for a match in order of preference, 1) alt name* + type
2) primary name
3) alt name*
4) type
*alts are only considered if s-in has an alt name.

It has yet to be determined the priory of a primary <> alt cross match, though its likely higher than type, and lower than primary. This is being tested now.

I'm also testing; if there's a preference when cross matching of the primary name being matched is on s-in or s-out. If s-out must have an alt name for a cross match to occur.

"Primary + type" is higher still than "alt + type", though. So maybe 2 should be rephrased as "primary name but not type" and 3 likewise "alt name but not type" (because alt name + type is encompassed by 1), and "primary + type" added at "0", just for now. Right now, it reads like alt + type is higher than a primary + type match, which we know not to be true because of the same-type testing you've already done.
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion