Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote:It was recently brought to my attention (HT: ottonomy) that there seemed to have been a recent change in the Waze routing Best Continuation algorithm to now also consider alt names. I ran a group of tests and the results we have so far, is if there is no primary name match at a fork in the road, the next check is for a alternate name match, followed by a segment type match if the alt names don't match.

The test results ↓:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09 ... 1ce3a3.jpg
I got results on testing alternate name effect on best continuation. √=instruction, X=Best Continuation, Green=No match, Orange=Primary match, yellow=alt match, purple= the alt of one segment match primary of the other segment.
If primary names match it's BC, if alt names match it's BC (NEW), if a primary matches one segment and an alt matches another - the primary match is BC, if a primary cross matches an alt it is not BC. So the BC algorithm should be modified to show order of preference; Primary name match, Alt name match, type match.

I propose to add this step (do alt names match?) Into the best continuation algorithm.

Any comments?

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
I think Otto was going to conduct some further tests to see the implications as relate to type-based best continuations as well. We've seen some evidence that the combination of type and alt-name continuity might override primary-name-only continuity.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
PesachZ wrote: From what we've proven so far Tentatively we can say the algorithm looks for a match in order of preference, 1) alt name* + type
2) primary name
3) alt name*
4) type
*alts are only considered if s-in has an alt name.

It has yet to be determined the priory of a primary <> alt cross match, though its likely higher than type, and lower than primary. This is being tested now.

I'm also testing; if there's a preference when cross matching of the primary name being matched is on s-in or s-out. If s-out must have an alt name for a cross match to occur.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
"Primary + type" is higher still than "alt + type", though. So maybe 2 should be rephrased as "primary name but not type" and 3 likewise "alt name but not type" (because alt name + type is encompassed by 1), and "primary + type" added at "0", just for now. Right now, it reads like alt + type is higher than a primary + type match, which we know not to be true because of the same-type testing you've already done.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Is there full confirmation from Waze that this is operating as designed? I think this is a bug.
I don't think any GC has yet brought this up in the appropriate forum. I've wanted to, but I don't have time these days to do it justice.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Alan, would you mind bringing this to DA? If not I can try to carve out some time.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I cannot wait until we get the Junction Box so we can remove wayfinder segments completely.
I hope Junction Box is even what we think it's going to be. Some offhand comments by staff lead me to believe there's a chance that, while it'll allow native handling of U turns at divided-roadway intersections etc., it might not allow for some of the other things we have been expecting it to (viz., manual control of the particular instruction given and of the best continuation). I've also seen it referred to as "Big Junction" which seems to imply its function is handling large junctions (i.e., junctions between divided roadways).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Permalink? Your image is broken on my end, btw.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Ah, that may be the deciding factor then? From what I understand, disconnected routing is not per se "supported" and may lead to some weird stuff... I don't really know anything more than that, though. It does seem odd that this would give a turn instruction in any case.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:I don't recall us previously restricting turns 24x7 when they are allowed part of the day. Perhaps there were exceptions, or my memory could be faulty.
That was before scheduled restrictions were "a thing".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by subs5
PesachZ wrote:
subs5 wrote:Can this page have a link to the interactive algorithm page since better angle descriptions including u-turns? Thanks in advance. V/r subs5
It does already right above the table of contents, if I'm understanding you correctly.
A simplified easy to understand interactive version of this page is available here.
Hi PesachZ,
I do not see where the >170 degree turn is announced as a U turn. The three circular diagrams for angles does not show a wedge at the 6 o'clock position that is 20 degrees wide that says "u-turn". Here is a crude picture of the wedge.

This is the portion that I would like on your page "Is the Turn angle from the origin to the the destination greater than 170°? [then] YES => Make a U-turn"

I do not see that mentioned on your page. Most of the other information is there but nada about u-turns. V/r subs5
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message