Post by subs5
The chart diagrams with the U-turn angles are still not visible. They disappeared again.

With all our new webinar editors it would be great to get this visual cue working again. Thanks
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I'm still struggling to get my head around these rules. Maybe they would be easier to understand if written the other way around, detail which combination of segments would produce instructions?

In particular, I'm looking for the simplest configuration which doesn't disrupt the detour avoidance algorithm and, if possible, doesn't require stubs. I've found a couple solutions that do work with stubs, but none without. I thought some of the rules on the alt name spreadsheet would allow at least one combination (rule #14 onwards).

My tests can be found here. See point places for notes, the two parks (green) are the ones that work.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
I appreciate we only have reverse engineered rules so far, so look I forward to hearing what the devs say...

In my tests, I'm trying to generate 'keep right' instructions for drivers staying on the Freeway, plus 'keep left' for those exiting it (left-hand drive country). I'd like to find a simple recipe that will work for all our junctions, while at the same time preventing any off-and-on-again detours. This means keeping the primary name continuous on the Freeway. (Yes, I know I can use cross-matching alt name on a wayfinder, but that's a hack on top of a hack which I'd like to avoid).

I generally dislike using stubs, as they either look ugly or fall below Waze's 5m minimum. However, it seems that the only way to get keep left/right instructions is to use stubs, unless there's a configuration I've missed in my testing?

I think the reason I find the wiki page hard to follow is that it's all about how Best Continuation is determined, while I'm looking for the inverse; when Keep Instructions are generated.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
The primary scenario is quite simple: one of the lanes on the freeway turns into an exit ramp, so drivers need to pull out of that lane if they wish to stay on the freeway. A 'keep right' instruction is needed at this point (though the community is divided on this). The freeway continues with the same name, and we don't use wayfinders to generate longer instructions.

The ramp may or may not be named, depending on if it splits further along, but that doesn't seem to matter for purposes of the KI.

The test bed I linked to previously is for this scenario. The one working solution I've found so far is to use Freeway stubs, and the same alt name in all 3 segments (see Test B). This leaves the primary names unchanged, so if the rules change then the detour avoidance will still work, and the map hacks are not visible.

Getting rid of stubs would be a bonus, but not essential. I just wondered if I'd missed something.

PS: of course, what we really want is to do away with all these hacks, and have some boxes to tick in the editor that control the instructions (a la junction box)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I think I could live with that. What would you suggest instead? Wouldn't ramp stubs result in an exit instruction to stay on the Freeway?
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by tonestertm
SO glad this is happening. I actually wrote up a draft of a discussion starter for this page about a week and a half ago, but shied away from posting. :( That whole "angle between s-in and s-out" thing (among others) has been bugging me for a long time.

If anyone wants to get technical crazy in describing the angle (perhaps with an illustration) used when "veering" to the right, between s-out and a virtual continuation of s-in, it is called the supplementary angle of the included angle between s-in and s-out, and there is a good illustration here.
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by vectorspace
I could use some expert help in a related (or same subject). I looked around and didn't find anything quickly.

Topic: TTS announcing continuation routes (or whatever they are called).

Example 1:

When two separately-named roads (A and B) are joined at a point, for instance at 90 degrees, and there is no other turn option other than to turn right or left (depending on which way you're going), Waze will not announce "Turn right on B"... it seems to assume you must turn right/left so announces nothing.

Example 2:

Same as in Example 1; however, there is a nearby (such as 50 feet or so further on the path) left turn one must take (on road C) after making the mandatory turn. Before one reaches the mandatory turn at A/B, Waze will announce the subsequent left turn on C.

Example 1 is slightly confusing (due to omission) because it makes no announcement that there is a turn. This is somewhat passable.

Example 2 is rather confusing because let's say you must make a right turn from A to B (mandatory) and then left on C. Before you ever turn right while on A, Waze is telling you to turn left a bit down the road. It would be better if it said "turn right on A then left on C."

Example 3 could be that two roads, A and B are joined at near 180 degrees. Waze will not state "continue straight on B" as one transitions from A to B without turn.

Tgfathergoose was having an issue with MPs on this topic and I know I have heard some discussion on these things. Can anyone shed light on current knowledge. I didn't find it in the Wiki either.

Thanks!
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by voludu2
I made a small correction to a caption on this page.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... ldid=95732

I changed "37 degrees" to "less than 45 degrees". The use of "37" misled many readers into looking for the significance of the number 37 in this context. The number of interest in this context is 45.

If this change is not OK, please use the "undo" link in the page history.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I think it is a good idea to put in-depth technical information in technical reference pages and keep the guidance and summaries more simple in "Style Guide" type pages.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I do not see this problem. Very puzzling.
voludu2
Send a message