[Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuvers

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby PesachZ » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:36 pm

I made a few more explanatory edits to the page and flowchart. I added an introduction to the flowchart.
[ img ]

I believe these pages are now functional, and although the interactive algorithm will need more images to be fully complete, it can be used accurately in its current form.

I propose to move them into the main wiki, unless anyone objects. And I thank you all for your input.

I suggest we can preserve the original information from staff, make it very easy to locate, while still removing the erroneous information from the current wiki. I would replace the current page with the new page, and add a link at the top that goes directly to the historical archive of the original wiki content of this page. Alternatively it could link to the current version as it stands now. It will read like this:
The original text provided by Waze staff which is the foundation of this page (and may be slightly inaccurate) is preserved in the history.

This should satisfy both opinions which have been expressed in this thread.

Does anyone object, or have any further suggestions?
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:51 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Agreed with Sketch. Fully understanding the history view requires some knowledge of the Wiki back end. Making it easy for the average user to get there is likely to cause confusion. Do not include the history link. We can just overwrite the page with the new and accurate information.

Note: I have alerted Waze to these two pending pages and asked them to review and comment.

Thank you, how long does it usually take you to get a reply?
Should I wait to move it until after they reply?

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:06 am

jondrush wrote:Is there a reason you chose "primary road" instead of something like "highway type road" I continually read it as Primary Street when looking at the chart.

I didn't choose it, that was the original text from the staff. I left it because it may refer to some actual code using that term . I did make sure to describe it in the definition section at the top as a highway and not a primary Street.
Primary road: refers to a highway segment ( Freeway , Major Highway , or Minor Highway ), not a Primary Street .

In the interactive algorithm page I actually use the term highway to make it more simple, but I left this page as close to the original as possible, in terms of terminology, in case it is quoting the actual terms from the code.

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:05 pm

PesachZ wrote:
CBenson wrote:[*]"Is the only other unrestricted sN <45° overlapping s-out?"
PesachZ wrote:[quote="CBenson"]
Do you know if overlapping segments suppress the instruction if there is no best continuation? In other words if both segments would give keep left/keep left instructions if not overlapped, are the instructions suppressed if overlapped?

No it doesn't, they both get announced. But if the left branch is overlapped it gets a keep right instruction instead of keep left.

I had thought this meant that even if an sN overlapped s-out that under the right circumstances you could still get an instruction.

I misunderstood you in that original post. I assumed you asked, and I tested for a standard two branch fork (s1, s2) with no Best Continuation, and then one of those branches is overlapped by an s3. I never tested an overlap with only 2 branches which overlap each other, and are both not Best Continuation. I set up a test for that now, and will know with the next tile update (hopefully in less than 1 1/2 weeks). [/quote]

the results are in, if s-out is overlapped by the ONLY other sN, regardless of any best continuations or not, both sides get no instruction. when a second sN, (a 3rd branch) is thrown in the mix, everything gets an instruction. left or right then depends on which one is overlapped.
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:24 pm

CBenson wrote:I have some comments on the page.

We need to label and define the critical angle. Something along the lines of "Turn Angle - the turn angle of sN is the angle between continuing straight on s-in through the junction and the departure direction of sN from the junction. The angle between the linear segment between the last geometry node of s-in and the junction and the linear segment between the junction and the first geometry node of sN is the supplementary angle to the turn angle of sN."

would this suffice with an image?
Code: Select all
The turn angle is the angle from the origin to the destination. A perfectly straight road with a junction in the middle would have a turn angle is 0°. The angle then gets wider as you turn to either side. A perfect left or right turn would be 90°. A U-turn at a junction between two segments would represent a 180° turn.

insert turn angle diagram, and illustrations (after determining the absolute threshold between keep and turn instructions in testing now)

CBenson wrote:The Best Continuation concept still retains many of the flaws of the original page.
  • "One of the segments leaving the junction will be considered the 'Best Continuation'. I think this is misleading, I would change it to "may be considered."
  • If would define Best Continuation as follows: "If s-out has a turn angle of less than 45 degrees then it will be considered the best continuation unless another sN has better segment name and segment type match with s-in as compared to s-out. Segment name is more important than segment type."
  • The chart for Best Continuation carries forward some of the flaws of the original page. Basically, the requirements for Best Continuation are does s-out have a turn angle less than 45 degrees followed by this section of the flow chart:
    Best Continuation.png

For the list of conditions I would change 1 as follows:
1) If the junction has only 2 segments, the instruction is "CONTINUE".

I'd leave out the T junction information and the discussion of the original text's discussion of the behavior of locked nodes.

In the flow chart I'd add the U-turn instruction to the normal roundabout instructions:
RoundU.png
I'll fix this in the page shortly and repost
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:47 am

PesachZ wrote:

We need to label and define the critical angle. Something along the lines of "Turn Angle - the turn angle of sN is the angle between continuing straight on s-in through the junction and the departure direction of sN from the junction. The angle between the linear segment between the last geometry node of s-in and the junction and the linear segment between the junction and the first geometry node of sN is the supplementary angle to the turn angle of sN."

would this suffice with an image?
Code: Select all
The turn angle is the angle from the origin to the destination. A perfectly straight road with a junction in the middle would have a turn angle is 0°. The angle then gets wider as you turn to either side. A perfect left or right turn would be 90°. A U-turn at a junction between two segments would represent a 180° turn.

insert turn angle diagram, and illustrations (after determining the absolute threshold between keep and turn instructions in testing now)

CBenson wrote:The Best Continuation concept still retains many of the flaws of the original page.
  • "One of the segments leaving the junction will be considered the 'Best Continuation'. I think this is misleading, I would change it to "may be considered."
  • If would define Best Continuation as follows: "If s-out has a turn angle of less than 45 degrees then it will be considered the best continuation unless another sN has better segment name and segment type match with s-in as compared to s-out. Segment name is more important than segment type."
  • The chart for Best Continuation carries forward some of the flaws of the original page. Basically, the requirements for Best Continuation are does s-out have a turn angle less than 45 degrees followed by this section of the flow chart:
    Best Continuation.png

I'd leave out the T junction information and the discussion of the original text's discussion of the behavior of locked nodes.

In the flow chart I'd add the U-turn instruction to the normal roundabout instructions:
RoundU.png
I'll fix this in the page shortly and repost

I updated the page, please take another look.
Thanks
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:01 am

The Best Continuation concept still retains many of the flaws of the original page.
    Best Continuation.png

RoundU.png

I uploaded a new chart
[ img ]
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:22 am

added a graphic
[ img ]
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:48 pm

CBenson wrote:I like the changes. For the angle definition, I'd remove "turn" in the last line of the "in techinical terms" paragraph.

I like the turn graphic, but the first question I usually get when trying to explain this is "What happens if the roads aren't straight?" I'd be inclined to show what is E 5th St in the graphic as a curved road, maybe even with the blue selection highlighting showing the geometry nodes.

In the best continuation chart, you have S-out is Best Continuation and S-out is Not Best Continuation reversed from what I was showing. (Although If the angle is not <45 is correctly going to S-out is Not Best Continuation.)

Done, though I had copied your quote originally.

I added another 2 graphics.
[ img ]
[ img ]

The chart is fixed.
[ img ]
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:31 pm

PesachZ
Wiki Master