[Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuvers

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Now, the question is, for remote areas with patchy cell coverage, should editing practice be any different?

In the stated example, for instance, if it were aligned as a perfect 180/90/90 right-angle intersection, would in-app routing perform better? I would assume so. But if so, is perfect 180/90/90 necessary, or can it be a few degrees off? How many degrees off?

My area suffers from large zones with zero coverage, so it would be useful to know. If nobody has looked into this, I can do a bit of experimentation easily enough. It won't be hard to distance myself from cell coverage that's for sure.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:01 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California USA
Has thanked: 1063 times
Been thanked: 1428 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby qwaletee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:24 pm

I would think we would not change things much.

For someone routing into the area, it won't matter at all, if they are sticking to route. For someone driving out or driving locally, I guess it could matter. Hopefully, they'll learn that Waze doesn't provide fantastic routing unless they start on Wi-Fi.

Many "lack of routing server" features wouldn't matter anyway. No traffic data? Can't change editing to account for it. Lack of TBTR? Before we had TBTR, we still mapped those turns, and got a UR once in awhile about restricted hours. And so on.

If you can think of a lost feature that might make you want to map differently, bring it up and we'll have a lively discussion.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 1134 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby PesachZ » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:58 am

qwaletee wrote:I would think we would not change things much.

For someone routing into the area, it won't matter at all, if they are sticking to route. For someone driving out or driving locally, I guess it could matter. Hopefully, they'll learn that Waze doesn't provide fantastic routing unless they start on Wi-Fi.

Many "lack of routing server" features wouldn't matter anyway. No traffic data? Can't change editing to account for it. Lack of TBTR? Before we had TBTR, we still mapped those turns, and got a UR once in awhile about restricted hours. And so on.

If you can think of a lost feature that might make you want to map differently, bring it up and we'll have a lively discussion.

Before TBTR the guidance was to restrict those turns entirely so we never routed an illegal turn. I wouldn't do that in port coverage areas though as it would affect all routes started with connection to the server.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby qwaletee » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:03 am

I don't recall us previously restricting turns 24x7 when they are allowed part of the day. Perhaps there were exceptions, or my memory could be faulty.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 1134 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby sketch » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:33 am

qwaletee wrote:I don't recall us previously restricting turns 24x7 when they are allowed part of the day. Perhaps there were exceptions, or my memory could be faulty.

That was before scheduled restrictions were "a thing".
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 6400
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Nouvelle-Orléans, Louisiane, États-Unis
Has thanked: 1985 times
Been thanked: 2488 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby voludu2 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:11 pm

I made a small correction to a caption on this page.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... ldid=95732

I changed "37 degrees" to "less than 45 degrees". The use of "37" misled many readers into looking for the significance of the number 37 in this context. The number of interest in this context is 45.

If this change is not OK, please use the "undo" link in the page history.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 3001
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm
Location: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 768 times
Been thanked: 1183 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby SeZAKxing » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:55 pm

Is there a minimum ramp length to generate an "Exit Right"?
Permalink

S-in is Major Highway "US-250 E, Charlottesville, Virginia"
S-1/best continuation is "US-250 E, Charlottesville, Virginia"
S-out is 50m ramp "Locust Ave / St. Charles Ave, Charlottesville, Virginia"
angles at ID: 43599247 179, 22, 160

Live Map
(random character guy)
[ img ]
Area Manager in VA; Culpeper to Amherst, Rockingham to Cumberland
SeZAKxing
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:05 pm
Location: Troy (near US15&I64), Virginia, USA
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby PesachZ » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:22 am

SeZAKxing wrote:Is there a minimum ramp length to generate an "Exit Right"?
Permalink

S-in is Major Highway "US-250 E, Charlottesville, Virginia"
S-1/best continuation is "US-250 E, Charlottesville, Virginia"
S-out is 50m ramp "Locust Ave / St. Charles Ave, Charlottesville, Virginia"
angles at ID: 43599247 179, 22, 160

Live Map

No the only minimum is that no segment should ever be less than 5m.

Keep in mind livemap may not give "exit" instead of "keep" the same way as the app.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
[ img ]
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby iamrioo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:48 am

Hello guys.

I am sorry if this ever asked before, or maybe its already basic known for all of you :D

Sometime we need to make a junction that say keep and turn, but so far I tried in many ways it didn't work unless, there is an additional segment connected to the same junction (3rd S-out) like below image.

[ img ]

Do I missed something here? to make it works both keep and Turn? without that "illegal" 3rd segment
:shock:

Thanks
[ img ]
telegram me
The best of people are those who bring most benefit for others
iamrioo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:04 am
Location: Indonesia
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 293 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby PesachZ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:06 pm

iamrioo wrote:Hello guys.

I am sorry if this ever asked before, or maybe its already basic known for all of you :D

Sometime we need to make a junction that say keep and turn, but so far I tried in many ways it didn't work unless, there is an additional segment connected to the same junction (3rd S-out) like below image.

[ img ]

Do I missed something here? to make it works both keep and Turn? without that "illegal" 3rd segment
:shock:

Thanks

No you did not miss something, if it is truly needed to have a keep and a turn where there are only two parts, you'll need a second "keep" path. But at you mentioned it is a hack and not recommended.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users