[Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuvers

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby qwaletee » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 pm

PZ< let's qualify. It is not recommended unless it truly necessary. If you have another way around it that's reasonable, avoid it. For example, if both COULD be a keep or both COULD be a turn, that might be better. Or you can sometimes accomplish this with a wayfinder, which is more acceptable.

The main reasons hacks are discouraged:
1) They are awkward, many editors won't recognize them, and may think they are just a bad edit
2) Since they rely on some esoteric behaviors of the routing engine (or other part of Waze), it is possible that these behaviors may change and turn the hack into a bad map edit

But we won't let those stop us from making a map work today if it is currently misbehaving in a significantw ay and there is no alternative.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 1134 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby PesachZ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:12 am

qwaletee wrote:PZ< let's qualify. It is not recommended unless it truly necessary. If you have another way around it that's reasonable, avoid it. For example, if both COULD be a keep or both COULD be a turn, that might be better. Or you can sometimes accomplish this with a wayfinder, which is more acceptable.

The main reasons hacks are discouraged:
1) They are awkward, many editors won't recognize them, and may think they are just a bad edit
2) Since they rely on some esoteric behaviors of the routing engine (or other part of Waze), it is possible that these behaviors may change and turn the hack into a bad map edit

But we won't let those stop us from making a map work today if it is currently misbehaving in a significantw ay and there is no alternative.

When I say not recommended, I mean that there is no support for this type of editing in the wiki. just because I am saying here that it works doesn't mean that I am recommending you do it

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby qwaletee » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Not in the wiki because the stubs to nowhere article is yet to be written, though i think there's a draft in user space now.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 1134 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby vectorspace » Thu May 14, 2015 2:36 am

I could use some expert help in a related (or same subject). I looked around and didn't find anything quickly.

Topic: TTS announcing continuation routes (or whatever they are called).

Example 1:

When two separately-named roads (A and B) are joined at a point, for instance at 90 degrees, and there is no other turn option other than to turn right or left (depending on which way you're going), Waze will not announce "Turn right on B"... it seems to assume you must turn right/left so announces nothing.

Example 2:

Same as in Example 1; however, there is a nearby (such as 50 feet or so further on the path) left turn one must take (on road C) after making the mandatory turn. Before one reaches the mandatory turn at A/B, Waze will announce the subsequent left turn on C.

Example 1 is slightly confusing (due to omission) because it makes no announcement that there is a turn. This is somewhat passable.

Example 2 is rather confusing because let's say you must make a right turn from A to B (mandatory) and then left on C. Before you ever turn right while on A, Waze is telling you to turn left a bit down the road. It would be better if it said "turn right on A then left on C."

Example 3 could be that two roads, A and B are joined at near 180 degrees. Waze will not state "continue straight on B" as one transitions from A to B without turn.

Tgfathergoose was having an issue with MPs on this topic and I know I have heard some discussion on these things. Can anyone shed light on current knowledge. I didn't find it in the Wiki either.

Thanks!
vectorspace
vectorspace
 
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:05 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Has thanked: 173 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby qwaletee » Thu May 14, 2015 6:54 am

I have seen this, too, though I have not seen Waze generate MPs for such. I do use stubs to force the instruction, even in case A, because it confuses people.

For example, here (your case 1): https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=81373183

And here (your case 2): https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 9,33540293

Someone removed the stub from the latter, but I just added it back in, and as you can see from the URO+ [NOTE] that I added, it does in fact currently have the problem you described.

Your case 3 is not really a problem. As long as their is no perceived turn, essentially, Waze is merely "failing" to call to the driver's attention that the road name is changing.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 1134 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby PesachZ » Thu May 14, 2015 11:10 am

vectorspace wrote:I could use some expert help in a related (or same subject). I looked around and didn't find anything quickly.

Topic: TTS announcing continuation routes (or whatever they are called).

Example 1:

When two separately-named roads (A and B) are joined at a point, for instance at 90 degrees, and there is no other turn option other than to turn right or left (depending on which way you're going), Waze will not announce "Turn right on B"... it seems to assume you must turn right/left so announces nothing.

Example 2:

Same as in Example 1; however, there is a nearby (such as 50 feet or so further on the path) left turn one must take (on road C) after making the mandatory turn. Before one reaches the mandatory turn at A/B, Waze will announce the subsequent left turn on C.

Example 1 is slightly confusing (due to omission) because it makes no announcement that there is a turn. This is somewhat passable.

Example 2 is rather confusing because let's say you must make a right turn from A to B (mandatory) and then left on C. Before you ever turn right while on A, Waze is telling you to turn left a bit down the road. It would be better if it said "turn right on A then left on C."

Example 3 could be that two roads, A and B are joined at near 180 degrees. Waze will not state "continue straight on B" as one transitions from A to B without turn.

Tgfathergoose was having an issue with MPs on this topic and I know I have heard some discussion on these things. Can anyone shed light on current knowledge. I didn't find it in the Wiki either.

Thanks!

Everything you stated is working as designed, and is explained in the wiki though it is complex. the junction style guide controlling turn instructions section touches on it. There's also 2 technical wiki pages that this thread refers to which discuss it a bit further and explain how it works.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby qwaletee » Thu May 14, 2015 10:59 pm

Forgot to mention the roads to nowhere section - don't know if that is one of the links PZ refers to.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 2936
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:42 am
Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 1134 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby PesachZ » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 am

I want to start a discussion on adding documentation and guidance for two segment uturns. This feature was included in the uturn feature roll with client v 3.9.4 but got little attention. It has been tested extensively for the development of the Junction Angle Info script.

The current findings show a turn between two segments, regardless of if other segments are connected to the same Junction, will provide a "make a Uturn" prompt. Provided the turnangle is above 168.24° ±0.5°. There have been inconsistent results in the gray area (167.74°-168.74°) sometimes giving a turn left, others a uturn.

There will need be a change to the algorithm, the existing algorithm never gives any propmt if there are only two segments connected, but in the case of 2 segments connected >170° there is a uturn prompt.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android


Sent using Tapatalk for Android
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 4507
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 am
Location: NY, USA (also NJ sometimes) {GC}
Has thanked: 1997 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby DwarfLord » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:15 pm

PesachZ wrote:I want to start a discussion on adding documentation and guidance for two segment uturns.

Is this different from the post in the Junction Style Guide thread? I responded there, and then saw this...not sure how to proceed.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:01 pm
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California USA
Has thanked: 1063 times
Been thanked: 1428 times

Re: [Page Update] How Waze determines turn/keep/exit maneuve

Postby voludu2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:03 pm

I think it is a good idea to put in-depth technical information in technical reference pages and keep the guidance and summaries more simple in "Style Guide" type pages.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
 
Posts: 3001
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:33 pm
Location: Chester County, Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 768 times
Been thanked: 1183 times

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users