[Page Update] Best Map Editing Practice

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Page Update] Best Map Editing Practice

Postby deeploz » Thu May 21, 2015 2:51 pm

I've identified some improvement area in this article, about Bridging Road.

The bridging tool is no longer existing and has been replaced by a Junction Tool that behaves exactly at the opposite of this section : If you select 2 crossing segments, WME propose you a Junction Tool at the position of the cross, allowing you to create an intersection by adding a junction.

Besides, the end of this section (about Railroad) is obsolete.

PesachZ on GHO wrote:This section is discussing how to fix the map (common in base map areas) where an actual bridge is reflected on the map as an intersection instead. The guidance is still accurate for that scenario. Even if it it doesn't clearly indicate when is the proper time to use it. The only changes I would make would be a) to clarify the use case. And b) to remove the obsolete note about Railroads and other non-navigable types. This section is the proper solution in most cases to the problem presented immediately above it in the caveat section.

As an revision is on-going for this page, thank you to take into consideration these elements in your touch-up.
deeploz
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby deeploz » Fri May 22, 2015 7:55 am

qwaletee wrote:This is the only correct way to remove one roadway from an inappropriate junction with another roadway. The only other methods will involve recreation of new junctions (and possibly new roads), with missing speed data.

You're right and therefore, this is justifying to document it in the "Best map editing practice".
deeploz
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DrCron » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:19 pm

On the title, should it be "Map Editing Best Practice", or 'Map Editing Best Practices" ? The current title in a link looks like it could be some sort of "go here to practice map editing" rather than the current editing guidelines.
DrCron

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:22 am

In a section on bridging roads, briefly saying when NOT to bridge roads seems OK to me. I lean towards keeping some aspect of this guidance. Perhaps something more general? For example:
strawman proposal wrote:Note that, as of July 2015, some non-drivable road types are typically not junctioned to drivable roads even when they cross. See Road Types for details.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri May 30, 2014 9:00 pm

PesachZ wrote:This link to Unlocking segments above your rank as well as searching for [unlock request] leads to page with no instructions on how to request an unlock it should be fixed.

I only found that first link in the Best Practices page and fixed it to go directly to the better link (your second one).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat May 31, 2014 2:36 am

Done.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby martinmaseda1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:55 pm

The youtube video player under the "How to un-divide two one-way roads" section does not seem to be working. It currently has a template with the video ID but the player is not displayed.

I was going to change it directly to a normal link but noticed that the person who wrote the original text refers to the viewer ("Press the "enlarge button in the lower right corner to see it full screen.")
martinmaseda1

Postby moweez » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:20 pm

I agree with the reasoning, but just deleting the node two connect two segments is often a simpler solution than bridging. Unless it really is a bridge...
moweez
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby orbitc » Tue May 27, 2014 1:45 am

Once the roads are split,
- naming needs to be done correctly according to our Waze naming guideline/state guideline.
- Make sure to include directional letters for the splitted road (E, W, N, S)
- We can also create a short video as well.
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

[Page Update] Best Map Editing Practice

Postby PesachZ » Tue May 27, 2014 1:34 am

There is a How To section on un-splitting a road properly, but no instructions on how to split a road properly. I believe we need to add a How To section for properly splitting a road while preserving the historical traffic data Waze has stored. This is my quick draft of what it should look like.

How To Split a Road
  • Emphasis not to attempt to split a road without first consulting (and collaborating) with an Area Manager or higher rank editor.
  • Directions on how to split the road without deleting or creating any new segments.
    • Split each segment in the middle
    • Separate one half from the split in the middle and drag it to end
    • Do the same with the other half, and drag to the other end
    • Do the same for the next segment
    • Set the directions
    • Connect the segments that are going in the same direction at the ends
  • How to properly name the resulting segments following national and state standards, including travel direction.
  • To ensure that all resulting segments are set to the correct direction.
  • How to set correct turn (and U-turn) Restrictions (with a link to the JSG on bowties, and to the U-turn routing penalty page).
  • How to check for and correct soft turns.
  • How to check for and fix RevCons.
  • To fix the geometry, with links to sections on how to unnecessary geometry nodes, and unnecessary nodes.

There is currently no guidance (which I was able to easily find) to a new editor on how to do this. And nothing saying they can't attempt it alone if they are sure it is necessary. Something clear and concrete would be nice to reference when new editors are trying to attempt this.
Last edited by PesachZ on Tue May 27, 2014 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion