Post by Fredo-p
After checking Google Street View, I have noticed that nearly every road south of this location is sporting the "Private Road" sings. So how would this be addressed?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
......Litchfield Park, AZ is littered/loaded with open access roads that are considered "Private Roads" as per the sings displayed all over the place via Google Street View. While going over some Validator issues, I discovered that a good portion of these areas have almost all of the roads set to PR. So this is going to be a pain. Going to post in the Arizona G+ page to inform them and ask for help.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Well, it has to be something along the lines of an HOA, because the Private Road signs all appear to be the same. If it is something like an HOA, then they, sadly, have the power to govern roadways on the property that they own. I know a law was passed to change this, but it was only for new HOA's and the old ones would keep this unneeded power.

Here in Buckeye, AZ, the local police came to an HOA meeting to discuss the issue with overnight parking on HOA roads. Surprisingly, the HOA had the authority to dictate what roads could and couldn't be used as overnight parking, and the police would have to ticket and tow at their request.

So if some of these communities in Litchfield Park operate under something governing body like the HOA, then it is possible that the city has some sort of agreement with this governing body and authorized them to place the private road signs as per their request.

Looks like I'll have to dig into the Litchfield Park website and see if I can find any traffic doc's mentioning this. If not, then it's the harder task of searching for a governing body that controls that area.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Working a UR, I found a gated community and tried to apply the "no thru-traffic" principle as this gated community wasn't mapped at all.

Could you guys check it out and see how I did? Marked red are the gates to the community.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-112.0 ... 25&env=usa
gated community example_v1.jpg
(117.45 KiB) Downloaded 742 times
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
CBenson wrote:Why the parking lot roads?
Sorry, its not a gated community but a gated complex/condos. Those are all parking spots and don't have named roads. So I was under the impression that they would labeled as PLR's.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote: Yes the bulge is protecting cars, but it is also part of the Traffic Calming techniques used in many cities to make the streets more constricted and "mentally" reducing the desire to drive through areas. Case in point, in a neighborhood near me, a small island was added in the middle of a road to reduce through traffic between the neighborhoods. In the words of the city planner (yes I directly spoke to him at one city counsel meeting), "the constricted width of the street will reduce the probability that someone would pick that route out of the neighborhood."
son of a bitch.gif
(205.62 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:
son of a bitch.gif
No audio with that? :D
I wish. It's a bitch with that 256kb limit. The gif was originally 500x281 and 1mb. Took a while to shrink it just right. :evil:
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Gazoo4U
vectorspace wrote:I agree -- I just was prompting txemt and Driving79 to expand details on the brief comments I had heard about this all-private-street issue so that the rest of us could learn from their experience.
Here is an example, of poor exit routing from an all private neighborhood. The neighborhood was set to all private due to UR's reporting that Waze was having them cut through the neighborhood from NB telegraph (south of Hickory Grove) to EB Square Lake Road. Followed by a note from the township manager. Now that its private, this no longer happens.

But even on this attached route, it is significantly quicker to go north and exit the neighborhood that way, but Waze does not send them that way. I would guess, based on cbenson's earlier post, that Waze wishes to take the south exit of the neighborhood from this segment because there is no transition penalty for the first segment to exit onto a street.

https://www.waze.com/livemap?lon=-83.27 ... =-83.27749
Gazoo4U
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
Fredo-p wrote:So, would all of the roads associated with a "no thru" community have to be set as private road? Or, could you only set the access streets as private and, depending on the type of location, (gated community), make the rest parking lot roads?
I would get txemt or driving79's input on this as they deal a lot with gated communities and "no through traffic"

My understanding of the situation in talking to them is that the roads need to be set like the large private installations. Otherwise people leaving the neighborhood or access will have trouble getting the correct routing out. The routing engine for some reason seems to have a tough time in larger areas that are all set to private roads on the correct routing out of the neighborhood.

I have been trying to prove that theory wrong for about two months now, but have been unsuccessful in doing so. I am not sure if either would have any input in no through streets but the concept seems to be the same to me.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by HavanaDay
@CBenson. This is what I know and have seen. If you mark the roads in a bigger neighborhood with just private roads at the entrances it will not route you out at the most efficient manner.

Now if all the roads are private in the neighborhood there seems to be some issues with still allowing routing to go through there even if it isn't your destination.

Regarding using parking lot roads (not specific to the case above) but isn't that hacking the map?

Has your opinion changed after posting in this thread, Or do you consider it two seperate matters?
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message