Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by DwarfLord
qwaletee wrote:As to SV and Sat shifts, I did once check on this. SV pictures are taken with GPS coords, and I found they generally matched up with what Waze records for a drive.
It's a great technique and I've used it myself on many occasions. However, where I live we have forests of trees that grow a bit tall. Well, quite tall. Like, taller than the entire Statue of Liberty from the base of the pedestal to the top of the torch.

The ones that were THAT tall are nearly all cut down now, but even the "little" ones are pretty impressive. They make a big impression on the GPS signals that's for sure. I've found that SV position data is not that reliable in some of these forests.

But it can still be useful to get an idea of how the road turns, and you can use that with occasional glimpses of asphalt to register the track.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Hi Seakyle0712, thanks for your post but you posted in a thread that has been dormant for four years. Our convention is generally to avoid posting in threads that have been dormant for more than 6 months or so. Doing so is sometimes called "necro posting". Please see the Forum Etiquette post -- go to the top level of the forum and look in the top folder called "! ATTENTION: READ HERE FIRST !".

Regarding your specific point, private roads have a finite penalty that can be overcome if the stars align just right. They typically behave as you say but this thread was discussing extreme cases. But so much has changed since this long-dead conversation there is no point to picking it up.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
So, would all of the roads associated with a "no thru" community have to be set as private road? Or, could you only set the access streets as private and, depending on the type of location, (gated community), make the rest parking lot roads?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
I just remembered a UR about this exact thing. A road lead to a roundabout. A sign was posted that said not a thru-street, private road for community only. This was the back of the community. Yet, when you looked at the north side (main access) from the main roads, there was no sign that stated it was private streets.

Looking for that exact area so I can link it here.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Looking at the image, I can see that the larger-than-normal curb appears to be made that way to deal with the fact that the road afterwards is allowing curbside parking. The massive curb seems to "shield" the cars parked on the street from anyone coming westbound on Matteson.

Here is a clearer version of the sign that Kent showed in his initial shoot about the right hand turn. It states "No Thru Traffic" so it's trying to inform drivers coming off of the ramp that "this road is for those who live here" and not to be used as a regular street. Hence why certain trucks aren't allowed in it as well. Looks like the community managed to convince the city council to do this. But it does not restrict those travelling north or south on Sartelle Blvd as they do not have the same sign, thus the "no thru traffic" wouldn't apply to them.
big curb turn.jpg
(90.26 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
But if you look at this lovely, Californian decorated sign, you can see that traffic can go any way......Sorry, just wanted to show the sign. :D
lovely sign.jpg
(72.84 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
This appears to be a limit to Wazes nav functions. Until Wazes algorithm can determine whether to route some whose address is in that community vs routing someone around due to the road segment restriction, its going to be one or the other. Time to request this algorithm feature be developed.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
vectorspace wrote:The sign says NO THROUGH TRAFFIC, so it doesn't matter from which direction the traffic is coming. The sign is still there. So, I think we could dismiss the idea that only traffic from the off-ramp is restricted (because of the extended curb area). Does anyone disagree?
Well, what I was trying to point out in the last post I had with the screenshot was that the sign is in the direction of the off-ramp. If we go by how sings are displayed, we know that the direction of the sign is were the intended instruction is meant for. Since there is no other "No thru traffic" sings facing the other directions, it's safe to assume that it's meant for the off-ramp traffic so they don't go packing through the narrow opening.

As for the extended curb, I mentioned it before. IMO, I believe the curb is extended due to the fact that the road allows for curb/street parking. What was developed was a "bubble" curb to protect the parked cars from traffic coming in. This also indicates how restrictive the community is for traffic if they went as far as having the curb bulge out that far.

In regards to the curb and how narrow the opening is to this street, I don't think it plays any part in figuring out what to do, as it's just a effect from the design. I can say that is one hell of a right turn if your traveling south.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
I tried to explain this before, but I wasn't going to type it all out on my phone. Now that I'm on my laptop, this is something that I would like to know if it can be done.

Is it possible to have the navigation and penalty algorithm include codes that checks the destination address location for road types?

What I mean by this is, for example, using this ramp discussion, a user wants to go to destination A. Destination A is on the other side of the community. Having the road segment set to private would penalize it and cause Waze to an alternate route.

Now, say User#2 want's to go to destination #2. Waze recognizes the fact that the destination address in in the middle or near the road that is marked private. However, it knows that the segment is private but the segments afterwards are streets, so it would route through the private and make for a quicker route.

In order to have this "permitted" routing, a separate/special/or sub-classification would be needed. Maybe "Private-Residential"? This road type could be given to all the "no thru-traffic" communities so if an address is selected that isn't within this segment area, Waze routes around it. But, if the address is in the area of the "Private-Residential" road type, it will route using this road type.

I hope I'm explaining it correctly. My ADHD meds are wearing off and my mind is going faster than I can type. I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe a new or sub road category is needed. I know I read somewhere that there is a possibility that sub-categories may be coming in the not so distant future so maybe this could be included in it?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Yay, I found one in Arizona. How about this one:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... 25&env=usa
private road Waddell_AZ.jpg
(70.83 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
Fredo-p
Send a message