No through traffic

Moderator: Unholy

Re: No through traffic

Postby qwaletee » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:43 am

CBenson wrote:The result from submitting this example on the form is:
The penalty for going out of the parking lot road is given. The problem is, that the penalties on the first segment are taken with a factor of the location on the segment. Since we are about mid-segment here, only 50% of the penalty is used. We will look into this further to see how we can fix it. ​

This is very good, very specific information. Thank you.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby qwaletee » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:11 am

I think there are some mysterious gremlins in Livemap deciding where a "dropped pin" actually sits. It isn't entirely consistent. That may be partially due to the maximum zoom, and maybe some funky "try to find the nearest mapped location" logic.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby Seakyle0712 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Private Roads would define "No thru traffic" so unless you cannot access your destination without going another route, It would prohibit you from going on this road.
Seakyle0712
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:26 am

I am also curious about this. Theoretically, routing out of an all-private cluster of roads should be fine, since there should only be one transition penalty at the moment you leave the cluster, and that's it. So it shouldn't matter where the penalty comes, because the penalty only comes once and will be equal on all alternative routes. Unless the transition penalty isn't actually uniform — that could be the problem. Or, maybe it's just a weirdness with the way the A* search algorithm works. I might ask the routing dev about it if we determine it's actually a problem.

I'm extra-curious about HavanaDay's statement that the large private installations method leads to weirdness getting out. Isn't the large private installation method only supposed to use a private road on the entrances? So then why would any of that matter when exiting the facility?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Not a fan. They're public roads. This isn't a problem yet but it will be once private roads are differentiated in the client: If we start setting public roads as "private", users will see public roads displayed as if they are private roads, then people will see private roads on the map and think they're public, and may drive on them anyway. I just don't like it.

It should be within a GPS user's expectations that, if they drive against the route or miss a turn, the GPS will sometimes route them in a weird way to get turned around again. Maybe I expect too much from users, but I am always skeptical of turn-around routing in rural areas.

The real solution would be "Turn around when possible" like the big players seem to have.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:41 pm

I agree with that.

I did also notice the large deviation between the segment and the street view the other day. I wanted to fix it at the time but chose to preserve the state of the map at the time.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:50 pm

Good catch! Glad to finally understand the problem with private road installations.

So, actually, we don't need to set the middle segments as non-private. Instead, if we split each entrance segment into a pair private road segments with a short segment near the entrance/exits and a longer segment for the rest of it, it won't be a problem, because you won't start a route while at the gatehouse (or at least, won't expect the route to send you right back through the gatehouse).

This is a better solution than using the "large installation" rules. This way, the "private road" appearance is kept on the live map and, in the future, in the app.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

No through traffic

Postby sketch » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:02 pm

The penalty is upon leaving a private road, but there appears to be some bug that occurs where the penalty is not assessed from the segment the route begins on. So it should only be a problem when starting a route from a private road segment which connects directly to the public road system.

CBenson, maybe we should tell staff about it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:15 pm

Right, and not even necessarily 5 m; if there's a gatehouse, that segment could start at the gatehouse, so people wouldn't be led back in just to go back out.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:13 am

Want to add it to the form?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion