Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by qwaletee
This runs counter to previous discussions. They are not intuitively "lodging" to someone looking for that category. We should not shoehorn "orphan" places into a novel use of a category.

Remember, the purpose of categories is to:
* allow searches for that category instead of a place by name
* allow Waze to treat certain categories specially (gas prices for gas stations, opening hours for many types, different icons)

By so shoehorning, you pollute the searches, pollute the special handling (not always detrimental but sometimes yes), and may cause confusion.

Unless there is some fantastic need, OTHER is really the best choice for categories that don't exist.

TL;DR Don't force a category name unless the place is obviously meant to be in that category. You'll screw things up

Note: We do have special guidance surrounding parking lots, police/fire/ambulance, and medical/doctor, some others I can't remember offhand.
Le_Mig402 wrote:During the last map raid, we used the parent category Lodging to mark apartment complexes, nursing homes, and the like.. it'll just mention a basic-level flag for using a parent category, but you'd have the same problem with Other with less detail. You'd have the ability to use an unnumbered house name, it'd be searchable, and you could even mention in the Description that no house number exists so people won't simply make things up. The only thing it won't do is make it invisible on maps like other residences, but perhaps that's just the price you'd pay for not numbering your houses. :P
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Except that it may encourage bad usage of the second level categories as well. I'd rather make it clear that categories should only be used if they are a strong fit. It waters down and confuses the message when one say s"don't do it for second level categories, but you may do it for top level categories." Not every editor gets the tree, and not everyone will grok it on a casual first read.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
PesachZ wrote:The guidance always was if it doesn't specifically for into a sub category, then you use the best fit parent category.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android
That's not accurate. It is not guidance in the wiki. In the forum, several options (parent, other, closest match) have been discussed.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by sketch
Yep, here is right. We don't really make use of the talk pages. Instead, we discuss wiki changes in this particular forum.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Are parent categories used for searching, though? If someone searches "hotel", they get Hotel category results. Are there any searches that will lead you to Lodging, or Transportation, or Culture & entertainment? Somehow I doubt it.

Many Places don't fit into specific categories, but if they fit into a general category there is no harm in placing them there. Examples include liquor stores and tobacconists – they go into "Shopping and services". What happens if you search "shopping"? Do people search that? Should people expect reasonable results when they search that? Does it even link to the parent category? Somehow I doubt it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
Good. Then we should not be concerned with the use of best-fit parent categories in particularized situations (or in any other situations).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
OK, but parent is the right answer ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Definitely a fair point, although the functional question is whether searching "Lodging" will show results within the "Lodging" category. Regardless, perhaps "Other" would be a better location for apartment complexes etc.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
DwarfLord wrote:There is a user in San Francisco who is desperately trying to add supercategories to everything. Starbucks is not only a Coffee Shop, it is Food & Drink also. The Hilton is not only a Hotel, it is Lodging also. And so on. To me a subcategory implies the supercategory and there isn't (or shouldn't be!) any reason to have both.
Agreed.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by TheMKLightning
In UK, most rural homes do not have a number and even in Towns quite a few older homes don't have numbers. For example, I was in Goodwick,Pembrokeshire yesterday and the road Manor Way which is two terraces totalling about 25 houses has no numbers, rather names such as 'Ty Ni', 'Casnewydd', 'Bournville', 'Orielton', 'Llandovery House' & 'Monarch House'.

I cannot work out from the wiki or this discussion how I should enter these names.
TheMKLightning
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
AM for West Wales Rheolwr Ardal Cymru Gorllewin