[Page Update] Places: Named Residences

Moderator: Unholy

[Page Update] Places: Named Residences

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:50 pm

There are a few countries in the world which do not use numbered addresses for home residences. There may even be a US territory which does this, but I can't locate it right now. These countries use names like "Red House, <street name>" which have no chance of being properly entered into the House Numbering scheme.

I propose that the global guidance for Places include the explicit guidance on using the Residence category for specifying house locations in places where this is the default/standard addressing scheme. These would also be created as Point Places, as almost all residences are too small for an Area. And, since this is about search/navigation and not visibility on the map per se, then a Point Place is reasonable.

I don't have any draft text to include yet, nor examples to post. Let's discuss. And, anyone who lives where named houses are use, please include your feedback, experience, ideas or support here.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: [Page Update] Places: Named Residences

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:09 am

That sounds like it will work. I don't know if any examples to use though. I believe in Costa Rica that is still a common practice in some more remote areas.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kobes1878 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:29 am

Hey Alan -

Sounds like a great idea. I remembered hearing a while back about this tiny village in California which had some really strange laws & customs, one of which was to never use any numbers as addresses. After some poking around I found it and thought it may be useful for this thread to have a US example. Village is named Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA. Heres a link to the Wiki and some fun facts Both include the "Strict no address rule".

Hope this helps!

At the very least some of these laws should provide one with an edge in a game of Balderdash :)
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
State Manager: NJ | Country Manager: USA
Kobes1878
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Nice example!. I have stayed in and visited that city a number of times and never even noticed that.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Costca Rica does indeed have odd addressing practice: https://www.correos.go.cr/nosotros/codi ... index.html
  • Provide a reference point, which is not susceptible to changes or disappearances.
  • The reference point must appear first in the direction. Ej . De Farmacia Fischel , 75 meters north
  • The distance from the reference point to the delivery point (home) should be short intervals.
  • If the reference point is a park, church, school, for example, you must specify which corner (southwest, southeast, northeast, northwest); and the name of the school.
  • It must take into account that there are places that do not receive correspondence from employees not official.
  • Use in the metropolitan district, or in places that have clearly defined, the number of the street or avenue for ease of accommodation of the address. Avoid combining numbers with odd numbers:

Incorrect: Avenida 2, between Calles 2 and 3
    Correct: Avenida 2, between Calles 2 and 4
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby hatzemberg » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi! This page needs some attention: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Talk:Places#Question.

The first link is locked, so where is the right place to discuss that page? Here?
Hatzemberg - Campinas, SP
hatzemberg
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby sketch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:48 am

Yep, here is right. We don't really make use of the talk pages. Instead, we discuss wiki changes in this particular forum.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby qwaletee » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 am

I updated the ForumLink header to make the current discussion first and the historical one clearly marked as such.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PesachZ » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:22 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There are a few countries in the world which do not use numbered addresses for home residences. There may even be a US territory which does this, but I can't locate it right now. These countries use names like "Red House, <street name>" which have no chance of being properly entered into the House Numbering scheme.

I propose that the global guidance for Places include the explicit guidance on using the Residence category for specifying house locations in places where this is the default/standard addressing scheme. These would also be created as Point Places, as almost all residences are too small for an Area. And, since this is about search/navigation and not visibility on the map per se, then a Point Place is reasonable.

I don't have any draft text to include yet, nor examples to post. Let's discuss. And, anyone who lives where named houses are use, please include your feedback, experience, ideas or support here.

What to do, we no longer have a residence category? :cry:
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:45 pm

PesachZ wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There are a few countries in the world which do not use numbered addresses for home residences. There may even be a US territory which does this, but I can't locate it right now. These countries use names like "Red House, <street name>" which have no chance of being properly entered into the House Numbering scheme.

What to do, we no longer have a residence category? :cry:

I think what you mean is that you cannot name the new residential-type place, an can only use the address.

How about using category OTHER and specifying a format such as "Red house (residence)" for the name? The street name can still go into addresses - I think a search for PLACE NAME, ADDRESS INFO works, even with PLACE NAME only having a prefix search, and ADDRESS INFO being street, city, state from the place's address fields (minus house number).
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion