[New Template] ForumLink

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New Template] ForumLink

Postby PesachZ » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:07 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Phase 1 complete. Still working on the no break space element. It is not currently working as I expected, but still in process.

Example can be seen at https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Talk:Road_names/USA

I think the text looks strange with the unread icon in the middle of the text with no other notation. I think the prior idea for the () surrounding the icon might make it look less awkward. Or go with the original idea to place it at the end of the sentence. I realize the forum has it at the front of the title, but that is a title with no prior text. Placing it at the end would also improve the no break space issue.

I think it only makes sense to have the icon before the text when the text is the title of the forum threads, when we're using the default text "this forum" then put the icon after the text. Would that make sense?

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:31 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:I think it only makes sense to have the icon before the text when the text is the title of the forum threads, when we're using the default text "this forum" then put the icon after the text. Would that make sense?

Agreed. Which of the current example cases would keep the icon at the front?
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Template:ForumLink#Examples

IMO, the three that apply for using the icon in the examples should all move to the back. Under what condition can you use ForumLink to have the link at the front of the text in the box?

I think the icon goes before the text in the final two examples, as well as when set up using the link text syntax in these examples
Code: Select all
{{ForumLink | forumid=nnn | search-linktext | topicid }}
{{ForumLink | lang=aa | forumid=nnn | linktext | topicid }}
 {{ForumLink | forum=url | linktext}}

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:14 am

I made a few simple tweaks to make the output more uniform, and versatile. These can be undone if not in the spirit of this template.

1. Since we formatted the unread link to be on a new line before a custom link text, I added code that checks if there is custom text when using the |forum=URL method. If there is custom text the unread link will now be formatted like the other methods (on a new line in the front).
  2. I added an optional named parameter |section=yes (in reality it only checks that section is defined). When used on a method that would have output the text "this page", it will instead output "this section".
  3. I created a talk page with a {{ForumLink}} linking back to this thread.
Changes can be seen here.
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Re: [New Page] WME Chat

Postby qwaletee » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:38 pm

On WP, the talk page is mostly used the way we use the forum, and is a poor tool for that purpose. We don't often underuse the talk/discussion page, since we do use the forum. It might be useful to keep notes for other wiki editors to have a handy reference for plans for the page or why it is constructed a certain way. I'm certainly good with the forumlink template idea.

However, I think as kent implemented it, the usage is fairly awkward, so I went ahead and rewrote it with a bunch of options. It will still support EXACTLY THE SAME SYNTAX as Kent provided, with some mild formatting changes to the result, but also supports a lot more.

Below is a descriptin of all the functionality, but you may want to just take a look over here to see what it does.

1) As originally implemented, you either link to the default Wiki updates forum main page, or specify a forum name. But if you specify the name, it doesn't really link anywhere. I set it up so it will now search the Wiki Update forum for a topic with the specified name

2) As originally implemented, you had to know the template's internal syntax of "forum=text" to invoke the alternate topic name I mentioned in the previous point. I simplified it so that you can give the text as a nameless parameter. {{ForumLink | Any text to search topic name}}

3) Instead of specifying the text of the topic name, you can specify a topic ID {{ForumLink | 89344}} would link to the topic we are in now...

4) ...but using generic text for the link. Instead, you can specify both text and ID: {{ForumLink | New WME chat Wiki page | 89344}} - this will link here using the specified text. Note that 89344 can be easily found in the URL while you are reading the topic (after the &t= in the address bar).

5) Some pages may need to link to a different forum. For example, the state pages pages might link to the state forums instead of the Wiki updates forum. The syntax here is a little more convoluted -- just add forumid=nnn, where nnn matches the forum ID, which can be found in URLs for any page in that forum (after &f= in the address bar). For example, the NJ forumid=249, so {{ForumLink|forumid=249}} (default link text) or {{ForumLink|Go to New Jersey's forum, guys!|forumid=249}} (specified link text) will work

6) The above won't work for the country forums, because the URL changes for each country. An additional parameter is available to support the other countries: |lang=aa - for example {{ForumLink | Can you read Hebrew? | 23238 | forumid=59}}

FYI, I kept Kent's original parameter of "|forum=any-url-you-want" out of deference to him and so as not to break any pages he was working on. But honestly, it is confusing, as it goes to any page, not just a forum, and you have to use the whole URL. If he's OK with it, I'd like to drop it and use a different name. Since you don't have to use forum= (because I support nameless parameters), please don't specify forum= if you can possibly avoid it. It will make it easier to rip out later.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby qwaletee » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:43 pm

There are named parameters for everything, I just left the simple case of a search string or thread ID as unnamed. I could make URLs do that, too, but it would probably be easier in Lua.

I did have an issue with linking externally. I have already expressed a concern that the community is getting fractured by growing use of external tools. I believe we should be trying to limit that.

The search parameter is useful for where there may be multiple threads on the topic. For example, there are several threads in the Wiki Update forum related to Road Types. A single link can get all of them. Also, not a terrible way to fish for a thread.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby qwaletee » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:32 pm

The fracturing concern is not specific to [[Template:ForumLink]], but given my concern, I didn't really want to encourage anyone to make, say, a Google+ page as the update discussion link for a Wiki page.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby qwaletee » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:30 pm

Either way works for me. I like this mod.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby qwaletee » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:27 am

PZ, I'd rather you changed the way the section parameter works to be consistent with the way wikipedia does it. Check out the problem templates that allow you to use a parameter to override the default text "article."
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion