[New page] Formal mentoring

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [New page] Formal mentoring

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:15 am

It is up to you in the mentoring team, but nav boxes do not normally have so much messaging. In fact on Wikipedia you have nothing but the navbox itself. It is implied that you add content as needed, but you would not say it on the page with the navbox.

The Intel Wikipedia page is a good example.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:33 am

qwaletee wrote:There are a couple of tricky things where a template ends up referring to itself instead of the page it is transcluded on. One of those is the edit link for section headers.

I figured that by accident with this (original) setup, and didn't mind it much. But I like it even better now that it 'looks like' a header but behaves differently. The 'edit' link now goes to the regular view of h template page with the documentation visible.

Thanks for your suggestions
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:48 am

There are a couple of tricky things where a template ends up referring to itself instead of the page it is transcluded on. One of those is the edit link for section headers.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby PesachZ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:41 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:Thanks for link and heads up. I researched it, and created {{Mentoring navbox}} which I've now used to replace the wiki outline on all mentoring pages.

Very nice work.

I was reviewing the template page and thought I would make one change recommendation. We try not to include section headings in templates because you don't know if a template is at a particular level of a page into which it is transcluded. You would be better off having the template simply be at the bottom of the page on its own. That way if there are other templates that are desired on the page, you can list them one after the other and they somewhat stack upon each other.

Note the new state template pages do have section heading separating the two template boxes I built, but the template does not include the section headings.

I removed the section heading, and converted it to appear like a heading, but the edit link now goes to template page showing the documentation instructions.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby PesachZ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:18 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
PesachZ wrote:Thanks for link and heads up. I researched it, and created {{Mentoring navbox}} which I've now used to replace the wiki outline on all mentoring pages.

Very nice work.

I was reviewing the template page and thought I would make one change recommendation. We try not to include section headings in templates because you don't know if a template is at a particular level of a page into which it is transcluded. You would be better off having the template simply be at the bottom of the page on its own. That way if there are other templates that are desired on the page, you can list them one after the other and they somewhat stack upon each other.

Note the new state template pages do have section heading separating the two template boxes I built, but the template does not include the section headings.

Even given the very specific application of this template, and the instruction for it to always be included as the last thing in the page. Is it still a problem?

PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:12 am

Very nice work.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:56 pm

qwaletee wrote:I believe what you are asking for in wiki parlance is a navigator, though they don't necessarily follow the outline structure. As you add many countries, that outline would get very bulky, so we would probably want to have some way of reducing it in context -- say, only top level always displays, and the full subtree matching the second level you are currently in.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _templates

PesachZ wrote:I've also been debating using a hybrid of the stem you suggested, while leaving the current subpage links in place as redirects to help with search.

So I would have pages for
...snip...

Thanks for link and heads up. I researched it, and created {{Mentoring navbox}} which I've now used to replace the wiki outline on all ntoring pages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby qwaletee » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:03 pm

I believe what you are asking for in wiki parlance is a navigator, though they don't necessarily follow the outline structure. As you add many countries, that outline would get very bulky, so we would probably want to have some way of reducing it in context -- say, only top level always displays, and the full subtree matching the second level you are currently in.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _templates

PesachZ wrote:I've also been debating using a hybrid of the stem you suggested, while leaving the current subpage links in place as redirects to help with search.

So I would have pages for
...snip...
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby qwaletee » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 pm

In grade school, I was taught to minime "I think" and "In my opinion." If it isn't your opinion or your thought, give attribution. Otherwise, everything one writes should be assumed to be that person's opinion, expert or not. This is an open forum, so I'm sure that anyone who likes the aesthetics of Mentoring/Informal will speak up.

My preference/objective is to keep it as close to normal spoken/written English as possible.
Formal mentoring in the USA
Informal mentoring in the USA
Formal mentoring in xyz
Informal mentoring in xyz

If that seems to words or "hides" the country too much, the parenthetical version is also OK:
Formal mentoring (USA)
Informal mentoring (USA)
Formal mentoring (xyz)
Informal mentoring (xyz)
...this format echoes the wikipedia disambiguation format. I don't know that everyone "knows" this format, but it is at least fairly intuitive.

For searches, we can do aliases (redirects) like we do with many other pages... and which we already do (Formal mentoring redirects to Mentoring/Informal, I'm just proposing to swap that relationship).

So Mentoring/Formal (or Mentoring, formal or both) would redirect to the main page. Searches would still find all the mentoring entries together in the predictive search dropdown, aka autofill.
Last edited by qwaletee on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:30 pm

For those not around in the original subpage discussions, the key advantage for subpages was to have a basepage that covered material for all countries and then individual countries could have a subpage under that with their specific or unique content. The Wiki automatically creates the breadcrumbs back to the basepage. You always know where you are in the hierarchy.

Using parenthesis or other punctuation does not provide the automatic breadcrumbs. Since many of our Wiki editors are not Wiki experts, we tried to automate as much of the infrastructure as possible.

Note that nearly everyone reading the Waze Wiki is a map editor. That implies some level of technical knowledge and experience. I personally have found these end users to be more adaptable to alternate logical structures than the typical Wikipedia reader.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion