Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[New Page] - Diagnosing Update Requests & Map Problems

Post by vectorspace
I decided to move this to a discussion of a potential new page on the Wiki. I started it in the Canned Response thread, but that is not completely relevant, just related.

It has occured to me for some time that we should document knowledge about how to resolve User Reports and Map Problems. Many of you are much more adept at this process than me, but together we could provide some information that educates other new editors and also shares ideas amongst experienced editors.

What I put together is really an experiment about how to convey this information. We might need to convey the same information in multiple ways.

One way is kind of a flowchart or pseudocode process for doing this that embodies process and knowledge. The other is more a list of observable and tools that can be used as piecemeal concepts or like an encyclopedia. I didn't consider other formats in this page yet, like tables, etc. I was trying to keep it simple. New editors would eventually remember most this information from experience and only return to it for bizarre items -- a section I have conceived but not put down yet.

This is really like an artificial intelligence diagnostic system, but we have to do it in a linear written format. I am not interested in embodying this in a flowchart or some other complicated format since we mostly just have the Wiki.

In any case, here is what I have so far...

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Vectors ... Rs_.26_MPs
vectorspace

POSTER_ID:4612247

Send a message
vectorspace

Post by fuchserl
Hi,

I would suggest to replace
If the path on a highway seems to take an exit ramp, then route right back on the highway on the onramp, Waze may have faulty speed data causing this navigation error. If possible, make sure to turn the stright-through turn restriction arrow to red to prevent this routing path. Only do so for ramp-only intersections that would not harm other local routing (such as those attached to frontage roads that must have straight-through routing).
with
If the path on a highway seems to take an exit ramp, then route right back on the highway on the onramp, make sure that both ramps have a different name than the highway, so the detour prevention mechanism can kick in and avoid routing via the ramps. It should not be necessary to turn the straight-through turn restriction arrow to red to prevent this routing path.
(feel free to rephrase in better English, I am not a native speaker)
fuchserl
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Wolfgang

Localiser (DE), Beta-WME, Android App Beta Leader, GC, LC, AM, CM (AT, BF, CD, CF, CG, CM, DJ, ER, ET, GH, GN, GQ, KE, SD, SO, SS, TD, UG)
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... rsig22.png

Post by kentsmith9
I think it is an interesting idea. I have not had a chance to review the full page content, but we definitely need to have some kind of breakdown of the data presented to help people visualize what they need to read vs not. Much like PesachZ Interactive Junction page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ottonomy
I think this is a VERY important thing to be available as a resource to newer editors. Yes, it could become bloated and overly complicated, because there is SO much to convey, but right now, we are sorely lacking on this front.

For the part of the page following all the general guidance on reading and etiquette, where diagnosis help begins, I would suggest setting it up like a typical FAQ page in structure, with a bold list of all the UR types which appear in the app, and each of those linked to expanded articles below. A list of MP types could follow. This would give the eyes somewhere easy to jump, when hunting for a particular answer.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by qwaletee
My initial thought is that a Wiki page is a bad way to do this. A flowchart? Maybe, but probably not, because the nature of flowcharts is to be able to ask discrete, small questions that have few answers and can be understood with terse question/answer descriptions (either because of general knowledge or presumed background knowledge of the reader).

What you are really going for is ANALYSIS, and that's knowledge transfer.

I think we can probably come up with something like flashcards as a storyboard for the lessons, and maybe that's good for a first draft. The next step would be to turn it into an interactive slideshow or a series of short videos.

For example, how do you use a flowchart or a web page to impart that your first step is to look for the route, looks for the divergence, compare it to the problem type and/or problem text, see if there's a correlation...and if there is, work on that. If there isn't, is it because route is missing, GPS trace is missing, classification is missing/wrong? Can any info be gleaned even with taht missing/wrong info?

Because that's the heart of your initial analysis, and I don't see a good way to document that is outline style or flowchart style. The key idea is to assimilate all the information, look for data you can glean from it, compare al the insights you have so far, and then try to bring it back together into a complete picture.

And usually, that's where you get stuck and as for more information, because the majority of URs are missing too much info to even make an educated guess.

So round two - figure out what you are missing and how to ask for it. Again, that's an analysis question, with perhaps some help from a canned response list. And you'd better be prepared to customize your canned response, too.

What happens next? There's the "mechanical" workflow of waiting for responses, possibly warning of closure, and closing on no response. There should be a background task of scanning for new URs (if you are an area manager) and for older URs needing responses, and how to use URO to help with that job.

Finally, you get to deal with driver responses. Which are often also still lacking info, not fully responsive to your requests. That becomes a social interaction skill. How do we impart that? COncurrently, we need to figure out how to combine analysis of unpredictable driver response content orthogonal to the original analysis. Do they converge and what is the impact on map work and/or next response? Do they diverge, and which one is wrong/how/why/what is the impact on map work and/or next response?

TL;DR Need a better format for transferring knowledge of problem analysis.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
I hear that. My advice is to KISS, even if all the heavy lifting is left out.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by vectorspace
kentsmith9 wrote:I think it is an interesting idea. I have not had a chance to review the full page content, but we definitely need to have some kind of breakdown of the data presented to help people visualize what they need to read vs not. Much like PesachZ Interactive Junction page.
Given little comment on my post here and the page, I am worried about it. Perhaps it might be too complex or everyone is on summer vacation getting ready for the holiday...

I like PesachZ's innovative approach to an interactive junction page, but it's pushing a Wiki page to its limits and seemed kind of confusing how it jumps around. Having some embedded videos might be easier. The volume of approaches for diagnosing MPs and URs seems more aligned with a textual format with graphics and videos. Being able to text search the article for terms seems important too.

If we don't have a Diagnosing MPs and URs page, then we will have no tool to improve the quality of the editors for the map in this area.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
Ottonomy,

Yea--I agree that we need some kind of index for FAQ list to jump into the information within the article. I wanted to prototype the types of ways to convey the information first to see which ones made sense and could be expanded with new ideas by others, how we might group or classify the issues.

Maybe there are so few comments to this thread because it is a difficult topic?

I was paying more attention to approaching URs. There are so many types. Some from sharp users. Others from users who's fingers are too big for the phone where the UR means nothing. Some from users that respond, some not. Some that you can solve instantly and others needing more info. Some that are completely mysteries that probably mean nothing. Some with GPS and drive traces, some without. Some report things completely unrelated to what the editor can do, like "my nose is itching." All of these are wetware based.

Then there are MPs. I have not seen many MPs lately, but they do pop up now and then. These are more mechanical but highly dependent upon the knobs that Waze staff twist and adjust. They are all dependent on logical considerations of algorithms. Perhaps there needs to be a concise introductory part on MPs and URs and where they come from and what variables they have.

As far as structures, I thought about:

=== A flowchart or AI approach
* Seems too complicated, difficult to add to by others

=== Observations / Suggestions
* Seems reasonable "if you see this, try that"
* Seems expandable and can be categorized

=== Tools of the Trade
* Conversation (easy, built-in)
** Canned UR responses
* Live Map
* Validator (seems way too complicated for the general population)
* Other scripts
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
Yea, good thoughts, and all make sense.

Trying to drive to a final solution in one medium is not going to be effective in general though. Knowledge has been conveyed in books forever, and a Wiki is close enough to a book. I think the lesson for us locally is that we cannot put EVERYTHING into a wiki page. Maybe impart what we can, then move on. Maybe have a Beginner, intermediate, and advanced topic seciton, then leave it at that. Maybe have a list of tools and how they might be applied, then leave it at that. The real integration is, as you said, ANALYSIS.

Other approaches could be interactive videos, webinars, etc. I have just been too busy to put together a webinar on something, but will hopefully do that soon... once I can talk reliably again.

I'm going to continue working and refining the one page on my user page , and others are welcome to help.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
I am so developmentally delayed in KISS... I will work at it.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace