[Clarify/Update Page] U-turn policy?

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Clarify/Update Page] U-turn policy?

Postby PesachZ » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:45 pm

dmcrandall wrote:Ran into a UR about Waze directing a driver into a dead end street to make a U-turn. I closed it before remembering this thread (courtesy of Otto).

Here's the link to the UR. Hopefully you can get something from it before it closes out completely.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... st=3910028

This thread is specifically discussion the penalty preventing u-turns as they apply to 3 segment u-turns on divided roads.

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby dmcrandall » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:46 am

Ran into a UR about Waze directing a driver into a dead end street to make a U-turn. I closed it before remembering this thread (courtesy of Otto).

Here's the link to the UR. Hopefully you can get something from it before it closes out completely.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... st=3910028
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby karlcr9911 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:54 am

purposeguy wrote:I've since been "on patrol," removing U-turns wherever I find them.

It's not necessary to remove the 'legal' ones you find, which is stated in the u-turn wiki guidelines...FYI

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Turn_restriction#U-Turns
karlcr9911
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby purposeguy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:56 am

Yeah, this really bummed me out, too. I had started allowing U-turns in my neighborhood when I caught wind of what was going on in the forums. I've since been "on patrol," removing U-turns wherever I find them. I look forward to U-turns being implemented in the client, since they are legal by default throughout California.
purposeguy
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:07 am

I have only personally see the 2-way U-turn on segments during a real-time route recalc because I turned a different direction than originally advised. I have reported it in the past and saw it again just two weeks ago on a different segment with the same conditions.

Since it is not that typical and I presume Waze currently classifies it as a routing bug for now, I would not propose changing away from keeping the U-arrow if allowed in advance of the feature working. Either way there is work to be done since it is enabled in most of northern CA after the feature was made available.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:30 pm

voludu2 wrote:
stephenr1966 wrote:"normal routing server" = server that computes your route when first ask for navigation.

"real-time server" = server that (re) calculates your route due to deviations or real-time impending traffic.

It is probably actually the same server (or server farm)...but, different algorithms with different applications of the penalties.

Subtle. Complicated.

And deceiving. The idea that we are told about features of the routing algorithm, which we then rely on to prevent impossible or illegal routes, but then turn out to be features in only one (or some - see reference to a long route server) of a set of algorithms on different "servers" is a problem. It is particularly difficult to find out what issues there are with the "real time" routing because there is no way to trigger it in testing. Thus an odd route in a UR that we can't reproduce, may well be caused by the "real time" server providing a route that is calculated not only based on different timing data but using different routing rules than the rules applied when we ask for a route in the app or the live map.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby voludu2 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 pm

stephenr1966 wrote:"normal routing server" = server that computes your route when first ask for navigation.

"real-time server" = server that (re) calculates your route due to deviations or real-time impending traffic.

It is probably actually the same server (or server farm)...but, different algorithms with different applications of the penalties.

Subtle. Complicated.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby ottonomy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:16 pm

I would say that in recent months, the only two-way segment U-turns I've seen (or heard reported) have been upon route recalculations, which backs up the idea that Waze has effectively penalized them out of the usual routing server options. Having said that, one of the reasons I may be seeing SO few U-turns lately is the simple fact that almost ALL of them have been disabled in greater Los Angeles. When the time comes that Waze supports these, I will happily make it part of my routine to allow the U's where appropriate. I don't mind the general guidance being permissive on enabling U-turns, but some kind of a clause suggesting that in urban areas there should be consultation with local AMs before actively enabling U-turns would be much appreciated by me.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby stephenr1966 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:15 pm

voludu2 wrote:real-time server vs normal routing server?

"normal routing server" = server that computes your route when first ask for navigation.

stephenr1966
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby voludu2 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:49 pm

real-time server vs normal routing server?
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion