Post by kentsmith9
Fredo-p wrote:Added the map. Check and see if it's the right size.
It sure it big. :lol:

Maybe it is OK at that size.

There were problems created when you renamed the Southeast Territories page, but I got them fixed now. There is a lookup table in {{StateForum/List}} that had to be updated.

I moved the list of numbers into the field with the names. They are highly related and the sortability of the names has minimal benefit since they are not really listed anywhere else that someone would come to the page needing to find that name (and not seeing it in the table based on its number.

I can create links to the actual map to make it dynamic to each area.

With feedback from other countries, their use of Regional Coordinator is not 100% the same as ours. I am thinking of having this table be USA only and then having a table for other countries, especially since in the USA we have the states. Then I can remove the USA forum links in the table and replace it with the state names/links.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
After studying the new map more and matching it to the forum, I see the Territories are all managed by Txemt and they all fall under the same forum, so currently it does not appear that we need two separate entries. That would also mean we should move the page back to its original name "Territories" at this time. We can merge both 7a and 2a into the same entry as well.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
After talking to the other country managers, I think I have realized that it is only the USA that has Regional Coordinators. All other countries just have Coordinators because they cover the whole country with a few exceptions that have 2 or 3 Coordinators.

I plan to make that point on the page and send people for other countries to their respective country pages to find their appropriate Coordinator (unless we come up with a universal Wiki page for that).

I removed the country column (as unnecessary), moved the links into the body of the paragraph above, and then added a linked state list for easy access.

I am mainly done on this page if one of the regional coordinators wants to describe the roles and responsibilities of a Regional Coordinator in the Overview and Responsibilities sections.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
ps_au wrote:We have regional coordinators here in Australia (but we call them Regional Managers), same thing. We only have 5 RC's due to each editor responsible for their own State.
With so few countries having RCs, maybe we should just create a separate page for each. We can move the USA RCs to a subpage of the new RC page and do the same for Australia.
CBenson wrote:Is there anyway to display an entry from the table in other wiki pages? What I'm looking for is something to link back to that displays the Mid-Atlantic RC information on the various state pages and any other place the RC contact info is appropriate. Then when I pass the responsibility to someone else, all the references would be changed with one wiki edit and i wouldn't have to worry about needing to check my inbox for RC issues from outdated references in the wiki.
I am sure we can build up something to achieve this purpose. Maybe you can give some specific examples of what you want to have on the page. I build some basic template lookup pages so all the data is driven from one place as much as possible. What I could do is add the names of the actual RCs to a template list.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:All I was really looking for was name and the PM link.
I meant an example of a page that you want to do this on. Do you want to do something that is specific to a region therefore there would only be one Coordinator name and PM? Like on a particular state page you could place a template that picks up the name of the state and automatically determines the region and RC and displays the RC name and PM?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I'll be specific. On the new State Page template we have an Area Manager table. It is manually populated by the editors who also add if they are an RC for that state. It is manual because there are comment fields.

I can see here is where we might want to automate things. If the current RC changed, they would need to find all the states that they displayed their name and included their RC badge/indicator. Maybe it would be better for me to create a more advanced template that automated the RC indicator. It could look up all the names in the AM table and if it finds an RC name in the list it automatically adds their RC badge/indicator as first. (That controls the color coding in the table. See the Template for details.)

We could also add a link to the Forum section of the new state page that automatically shows the name of the RC and their PM. That one is simple really.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
As you probably already noticed, I created all the regional pages based on automated content. The one you control Mid Atlantic actually requires no maintenance, ever.

In the case of the Southeast page, Banished and the team wanted to group the three states into a single page for easier maintenance overall. So that page is unique in the country and that is fine.

For the other regions I expect them to stay pretty basic and automated. That is why they are all driven by a common template for even easier updates as well. ;)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Nearly completed with the RC page when I ran into a complication.

Currently all the automation of pages and lookup tables depend on a single RC per region. In two cases we have 2 RCs listed for South Central (Jasonh300 & txemt) and South Atlantic (WeeeZer14 & HavanaDay).

Three choices that I would appreciate some feedback on:

1. I modify the templates to allow for two (would make coding easier than 3+) Regional Coordinators with the secondary RC as a backup when the primary is unavailable. All regions would then need a backup and maybe that should be the case anyway. Then 100% of all pages with RC information would be 100% automated. If we want only some regions with a backup, then I can still code those with the backup automatically. (BTW, this is my vote.)

or

2. We can simply have the first listed RC be the primary person listed on automated pages. This means that some pages are now manually maintained and I am trying to avoid that. The table would continue to list both since today that table is manually driven, but I was thinking about making it 100% automatic from the database making RC changes all possible in one single place.

or

3. Eliminate multiple RCs for the same region. This is a harsh position and certainly not flexible given people's schedules and needing backups sometimes.

Thoughts?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Fredo-p wrote:For the cells that list section 6, would it be better to merge those two since they contain the same information?

I would do it but I forget how to apply the rowspan code properly and I'm busy till later tonight.
I agree with the idea, but if you note in my prior question, if we have multiple RCs, I will need to solve that at a higher level. We may want to include the two RCs in the same cell, or create two columns. The same cell may look cleaner especially if we only have a few double RCs.

For now I would ask that everyone hold off on making any changes to these RC related pages. I am in the middle of some final automation changes that may need to make other changes or may need formatting currently in place.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I did want to point out that due to automation the idea of just moving the two users together is easier said than done. However, as I mentioned, once we decide on the final outcome I can rebuild the automation to take care of it for us automatically when they repeat.

Code: Select all

{| class="wikitable sortable" 
! States/Territories || Area<br/><small>Wiki & Forum</small> || Coordinator<br/><small>User page & PM</small>
{{RC/Editor|(1) {{RC/Region|Northwest}}|{{StateForum|Northwest|state-list}}|AlanOfTheBerg}}
{{RC/Editor|(2) {{RC/Region|Southwest}}|{{StateForum|Southwest|state-list}}|jemay}}
{{RC/Editor|(3) {{RC/Region|Plains}}|{{StateForum|Plains|state-list}}|the1who}}
{{RC/Editor|(4) {{RC/Region|South Central}}|{{StateForum|South Central|state-list}}|Jasonh300}}
{{RC/Editor|(4) {{RC/Region|South Central}}|{{StateForum|South Central|state-list}}|txemt}}
{{RC/Editor|(5) {{RC/Region|Great Lakes}}|{{StateForum|Great Lakes|state-list}}|GizmoGuy411}}
{{RC/Editor|(6) {{RC/Region|South Atlantic}}|{{StateForum|South Atlantic|state-list}}|WeeeZer14}}
{{RC/Editor|(6) {{RC/Region|South Atlantic}}|{{StateForum|South Atlantic|state-list}}|HavanaDay}}
{{RC/Editor|(7) {{RC/Region|Southeast}}|{{StateForum|Southeast|state-list}}|banished}}
{{RC/Editor|(7a) {{RC/Region|Territories}}|{{StateForum|Territories|state-list}}|txemt}}
{{RC/Editor|(8) {{RC/Region|New England}}|{{StateForum|New England|state-list}}|orbitc}}
{{RC/Editor|(9) {{RC/Region|Northeast}}|{{StateForum|Northeast|state-list}}|orbitc}}
{{RC/Editor|(10) {{RC/Region|Mid Atlantic}}|{{StateForum|Mid Atlantic|state-list}}|CBenson}}
|}
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message