Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[Page Review] Arizona

Post by Fredo-p
I have made a copy of the old Arizona wiki page layout and saved it in the discussion section. The Arizona page is now set to the new US State template. Took me a minute to understand the US_{{Subpage}}.png issue and why it wouldn't load.

Just want to know if it looks good so far.https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Arizona Also, the forum link at the top appears to be a possible "Champs Only" link since I can't access it. Would I change the link to the Arizona Forum link instead?

Lastly, looking around, I haven't seen other states incorporate this yet. What other states are up to date on this new state template change?

The real lastly, I tried to make one for Puerto Rico and the other territories, but I realized that US Territories doesn't really have a set location in Wiki to be able to link properly (US{{Subpage}} would try to bring to a person to US/Puerto Rico, but only /Puerto Rico exists).
Fredo-p

POSTER_ID:16781248

Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by dmcrandall
Kent, helpppp!

I'm sure Alfredo did it, but there seems to be a problem on the AZ wiki page.

Linked Here

The Area Manager heading is not displaying correctly. It's showing on the page as == Area Managers ==, instead of being formatted correctly.

As a temporary work-around I added it to the bottom of the "Other" segment, so it at least shows up in the Table of Contents.

I guess I'm following in Fredo's footsteps, and messing stuff up along the way. :/

David
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
"This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley

US Country Manager (In between deliveries)

Post by dmcrandall
I'm glad it's been resolved, and no one else runs into the same problem.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N900T
dmcrandall
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
"This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok." -Matthew Quigley

US Country Manager (In between deliveries)

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote: Actually the template is not quite done. That is why I have not posted anything in that thread to say it is done and let's start using it. ;)

Oops. :oops: :oops: That would explain it.

kentsmith9 wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:I have made a copy of the old Arizona wiki page layout and saved it in the discussion section. The Arizona page is now set to the new US State template. Took me a minute to understand the US_{{Subpage}}.png issue and why it wouldn't load.
Glad you did find the right page and solved the problem. Tell me what you did not initially understand and we can update the template to be more clear.
Well, I found out that if I had clicked on the USA.png link, it would have taken me to the upload page automatically. Unfortunately, I found this out after the fact. I went and found the wiki png for Arizona, to keep it similar to the example, and titled it as it would have appeared (US_ARIZONA.PNG). But it never showed up, so I ended up having to manually enter the file name. Wasn't sure on how the file should have been uploaded and named to get it to apply from the template.
kentsmith9 wrote:
Fredo-p wrote:The real lastly, I tried to make one for Puerto Rico and the other territories, but I realized that US Territories doesn't really have a set location in Wiki to be able to link properly (US{{Subpage}} would try to bring to a person to US/Puerto Rico, but only /Puerto Rico exists).
For some reason you changed a bunch of templates that are universal to all states and territories. Looking at the content of the first section of the template I have:
==Introduction==

{{:USA/CommonState/Intro}}<!-- Keep this common template.
Add additional state unique content below this comment.-->
<!--
The initial editor of this page should provide an overview of the state covering things like the environmental differences with the state compared to others. See [[New Mexico]] for examples. -->
I wanted to understand why you believed you needed to change the template to:
{{:USA/US Territories/Puerto Rico/Intro}}
Did you not see the comment directly next to it that says:
Keep this common template.
Add additional state unique content below this comment.
I apologize for the errors that I caused. I am still learning about templates and wasn't aware that adding/changing that one line would cause problems in other areas. I assumed that since PR was in the US Territories and not USA, I would add that. I know it said to "Keep this common template." but I had a massive brain fart and got excited that I believed I was helping by jumping the gun. Guess I ended up shooting myself.. :lol:
kentsmith9 wrote:Overall I am glad you took a shot at using the template. This feedback will help us create a better template.
If it won't cause problems, could I just delete the entire PR page and leave the construction template up, or would you have to go and manually fix the errors that I caused by changing the template name structure?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote: On the PR page, I believe that page did not yet exist. If you have not done too much customization already, I recommend you wipe the whole page until we finalize the template.
I haven't done that much customization to the page at all. The only thing I did was add US Territories, nothing else. So I will wipe that page.
kentsmith9 wrote: As for Arizona, if you already have all the original content of Arizona incorporated into the new page, then let's leave it for the week until we get the new template finished, then we can incorporate the other changes. Otherwise if you are missing a bunch of original Arizona page content, you would be better off putting that data back for now until after the template finalization.

However I was looking for a test page to see what the templates looked like on a real page, so maybe move your new [[Arizona]] page to [[Arizona/Test]] so we can see how it looks.
I actually moved all the information to the new template, so I can go ahead and move Arizona to [[Arizona/Test]] and have that as your "playground" since I have the original page with the data saved on the discussion section.

I did forget to mention that we (Arizona Editors) decided to include editors below rank 3. They are known as Area Editors and are in a small table under the Area Managers section titled "Other Area Editors". Instead of trying to rebuild a new table to match the one you had, I just used the {{AM/Editor}} template for the editors below rank 3 since that table only goes from 3 to 6. Hopefully this didn't mess anything up.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Page has been moved to [[Arizona/Test]]
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote: I proposed we use the Test subpage since there is still content that is not ready for normal review. I also propose you temporarily restore the original Arizona page since currently it is somewhat of a dead link and most people would end up on the test page before the talk page.
Done. Removed the redirect and restored the original page. [[Arizona/Test]] will not have a redirect anymore and is free to test till it's dead. :twisted:
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
kentsmith9 wrote: If you like to the current To Do pages or Construction pages, remember to link to them where they are now under the regular Arizona page. With the exception of the [[Arizona/To Do/Construction]] page should be moved to [[Arizona/Construction]]. Once you do link to those pages, the breadcrumb links at the top of the page will be going back to the wrong Arizona page, so during the test phase you have to use the back button.
I'll make sure to move the construction page to its own under Arizona/. As for the talk/discussion page, I like the way a wiki editor can just click and have a page auto-filled. I've played with it for a quick min. I will probably give it a full blown test (populate it as it were a live page) with AZ related information and see how it goes.

So far, it looks amazing.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
No problem. I don't plan on deploying it until you've given the template its final blessing. I'm going to keep everything on the /Test2 page so as not to migrate any problems elsewhere.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
Check it out and let me know how it's looking.

I've played around with it and added information to simulate that it was a live page. My ADHD did get the best of me and I over analyzed the instructions. :oops: :oops: :oops:

It took me a min to figure out that the Unique Portion link meant to create a small description and Unique Page was for anything that was larger than what would fit in the unique section ( anything larger than a paragraph). I think my error was that I was naturally selecting the first link in the column out of instinct and not reading the top of the list.

Once I figured that out, managing what was being added was a breeze. The only thing that I had problems with is trying to figure out what to put into the portions page. I'm not creative like the other editors and giving a small description to this page is a challenge for me.

I'm scared to take on the Intro page as my ADHD may hijack my brain and end up writing a 500 paragraph article titled "The integration of Waze and Arizonans: A pathway to ease the transportation efforts of the average American; Knowing where to go and how to do it - You to can become an editor" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fredo-p
Send a message