[Update] Road Names (USA) - City names

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update] Road Names (USA)

Postby CBenson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm not advocating the use of the Google data. Nor at this point suggesting that we correct everything in Google Mapmaker. However, its just a fact that waze uses the Google data so whether there is a match matters at this point.

Say there are two nearby towns of Greenville and Franklin and they both have a 2nd Ave. In Greenville the addresses on 2nd Ave run from 0-500. In Franklin they run from 600-1500.

What happens if you search for 101 2nd Ave, Franklin?
What if there is no 101 in Greenville?
What happens if Google has an incorrect pin in Franklin for house number 101?
What happens if you search for 101 Second Ave, Greenville?
What happens if Google has an alternate street name of Second listed for Franklin but not Greenville?
What happens if Greenville is not an incorporated town, say a CDP, and Franklin is a city?
What happens if the mailing addresses for Greenville use a ZIP code for Franklin?

I doubt we can solve all these issues even if waze does take into account alternate street names.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:07 pm

I wish we had the answer for that. But it does seem to depend on a bunch of factors. One seems to be if you are searching for an address, is the number you are searching for in Small Town also used as an address in Large City. Another is does Google have a matching address or business in its data.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:02 pm

I would note that the basemap import used census data and thus used the CDPs. The locals do use the CDP name where I live, but that certainly varies from location to location.

Be aware that waze can eliminate, merge or change city names en masse on the back end. There is form to enter the information. However, waze does not act on submissions unless they are verified by a high level trusted user (i.e. someone with the optional special PIN code). At this point its likely better to just ask your RC or a Champ to submit the change and verify it at the same time.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby CBenson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm

I believe that city naming is very difficult to clarify on a country wide basis. Basically, because the are such wide difference is what gets incorporated in different jurisdictions the guidance almost has to change from state to state and sometimes even region to region or county to county within a state. My understanding is that other countries have clarified the issue by simply providing the list of cities that will be used in waze. I don't think that is workable for the US.

The other problem at this point is that that waze address searching seems to be in a state of flux. We should really know how the address searching is going to work before we make any changes in the way cities are defined.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion