[Update] Road Names (USA) - City names

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update] Road Names (USA)

Postby DwarfLord » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 pm

We could probably come up with a list of things that are NOT a city. That might be worthwhile. For example -- these are just brainstorming thoughts -- could we say:

• If it doesn't have a post office, it's not a city?
  • If it's not listed as a Census Designated Place (CDP), it's not a city?
  • If it has no identifiable and distinct "downtown" it's not a city?
  • All of the above?

In my area we have a city Waze calls "Live Oak CDP". I've never heard a local refer to Live Oak, although there is a school district by that name. There is no Live Oak post office here, that is reserved for a real town called Live Oak around 200 miles away north of Yuba City. Being unincorporated and without anything resembling a "Live Oak town center" it is perilously close to being a "neighborhood" which we do not map in Waze (right?). Finally, even if it is a valid CDP, what is the acronym "CDP" doing in the City field? My leaning for this case would be to change it to "No city". But that would be a lot of work :mrgreen:

Fredo-p wrote:I know, for roads that border city boundaries, using the same street name with the other municipality in the alt is one method of doing so.

This wreaks havoc with Validator for parking lot roads and such that have no name. You get an alternate-name field that has a city but no street name. I've fixed a bunch of those...I'm not sure if the alternate-name field for these odd cases is really the best approach. More work to maintain them that's for sure.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Fredo-p » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:30 pm

On my phone right now but I do have a good suggestion/response to this issue.

It goes along with the new state template format.
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby CBenson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm

I believe that city naming is very difficult to clarify on a country wide basis. Basically, because the are such wide difference is what gets incorporated in different jurisdictions the guidance almost has to change from state to state and sometimes even region to region or county to county within a state. My understanding is that other countries have clarified the issue by simply providing the list of cities that will be used in waze. I don't think that is workable for the US.

The other problem at this point is that that waze address searching seems to be in a state of flux. We should really know how the address searching is going to work before we make any changes in the way cities are defined.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

[Update] Road Names (USA) - City names

Postby Fredo-p » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:59 pm

I've been asked this question and can't seem to find the info on the wiki page.

Here is the question asked in our local Google hangouts convo:
Browsing the wiki... so, what's the official policy for "city" on street names? Based on city annexed area? based on mailing/zip code? based on City Planning

Can this information be clarified and also included in the Road Names (USA)?

I know, for roads that border city boundaries, using the same street name with the other municipality in the alt is one method of doing so. But it would be a good idea to include when the city name field should be left blank as well.
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion