Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Fredo-p
CBenson wrote:Another is does Google have a matching address or business in its data.
Yeah, but how accurate has Google been on its address pins for rural areas? God help the poor soul who wants to try and fix all the bad ones in their area and not have those a*hole map editors that deny everything. :evil:
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by Fredo-p
CBenson wrote:I'm not advocating the use of the Google data. Nor at this point suggesting that we correct everything in Google Mapmaker. However, its just a fact that waze uses the Google data so whether there is a match matters at this point.

Say there are two nearby towns of Greenville and Franklin and they both have a 2nd Ave. In Greenville the addresses on 2nd Ave run from 0-500. In Franklin they run from 600-1500.

What happens if you search for 101 2nd Ave, Franklin?
What if there is no 101 in Greenville?
What happens if Google has an incorrect pin in Franklin for house number 101?
What happens if you search for 101 Second Ave, Greenville?
What happens if Google has an alternate street name of Second listed for Franklin but not Greenville?
What happens if Greenville is not an incorporated town, say a CDP, and Franklin is a city?
What happens if the mailing addresses for Greenville use a ZIP code for Franklin?

I doubt we can solve all these issues even if waze does take into account alternate street names.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Fredo-p
Send a message

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by ply8808
CBenson has pointed to the main issues of this discussion and the complicated details to having a standard assigned.
There is a need for guidelines with an understanding that those will not satisfy all of the issues in routing at this time with the current tools available.
I will give the example of my location between 3 unincorporated towns and a small city, I live in a section of strip annex of that small city, any address I search must be scrutinized to insure the route is not taking me to another location that is not even close or in the right direction.
I have been able to place pins and house numbers in waze and move Google pins as each comes needed in my travels, but that would be a huge undertaking to try and isolate each and every location.
However, it would be great to know if the city names are creating the issues on routing for the inner city boundaries, whether alt or otherwise.
Maybe a test area......we have one in Phoenix that would be a good candidate :shock:
ply8808
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Global Champ
Local Champ - USA
HD riding wazer, Arizona.
iPhone 7, iOS 13.3.1

Post by sketch
I changed the name of the thread to better reflect the content of the thread. I feel it would be a threadjack to come into this post and talk about a different aspect of the road names article, so it seems best to compartmentalize various discussions about different topics on the page.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!