Meetup Minutes (finally!)
The first part (presentation from Waze HQ) is confidential. Presentations was about:
- Chen: World & CE stats
Interesting note - Android vs iPhone. Android: Lower average speed, use Waze less. iPhone: Use Waze more minutes a day, higher average speed. Chen's note: "Maybe because of battery life". Zirland: "You mean they're in a hurry for a charger?"
- Ori: Feature plans for Map Editor
- How is ETA calculated? Amir & Chen: "We wish we knew it"
2nd part: PROBLEMS & FEATURE IDEAS discussion:
POI & ADDRESS SEARCH
POI & Address search is something that definitely needs to be improved (guri211).
- letters in house number not accepted (i.e. Halkova 1/A, Bratislava)
- search for tesco sygic vs. waze
- make relation between POI and a parking lot to make sure you are directed to the right segment (and not some supply service road)
- guri211 is presenting ideas how should it work: PDF
HOW TO COOPERATE TO GAIN MORE USERS
- Wroadd presents status in Hungary
- Best communication practise
- Presentation available: PDF
- Asked to look at the state of mapping the gas stations in CZ to turn on the gas prices here. - fotrik: Done and prices are enabled since Christmas. (Thanks!!!)
- Asked not only for full list of own URs even when closed recently but asked also for list of all URs for AM in his managed area.
- Offline reporting - remember report when temporarily offline and send a few seconds / minutes later (in case there is temporarily no network coverage, or during a phone call in 2G GSM network)
- Report Closures
- Option to report Ice on road
- Consider transforming the speedcam report into an Update Request. (Probably in the whole Europe, the Police Traps are reported as Speedcams because of different terminology)
- Option to report hazard in "both directions"
- "Hazard ahead" voice prompts - 500 meters is too early in the city, but too late on the highway. Use time prediction instead of distance
- Zirland and other wazers are asking to fix issues first, and then implement new features. Waze HQ: "We cannot release new version without a core new feature"
- Accident: not possible to click "not there"
- ETA +1 min. guri211: "Even if ETA is 17:59:01, it will show you 18:00" HQ: "Isn't it fine to arrive 1 minute earlier than ETA?" Champs: "No" HQ: "OK, will check it"
- Unicode characters when loading favorites / driving to - fixed now
- Do not allow jumping to lat=0,lon=0 position - show previous position instead. Ehud: "OK"
- ETA historical data do not respect day of week. HQ: "already working on it" guri211: Looks like fixed now (2013-01-20)
- Wroadd: UR in map - misplaced pin - HQ: "being solved by R&D"
- Fotrik: 2d, no zoom, doesn't revert to selected zoom lvl (after hazard pin,etc.) HQ: "OK, will check it"
- WiFi-> 3G on Android - sometimes doesn't reconnect. Looks like a rare issue (only 1 or 2 guests reported it)
- Always downloading voice prompts after app upgrade - need to clean everything to be sure that everything will work correctly, so it is needed to re-download them
- Turn rest. not "updated by" - have to have perm. to both segments
- Drive summary window transparent (or at least make the first turn visible)
- Extreme speeds traffic jams. Ehud: "Please send it to me" guri211: "OK, sending 1 example
right now - speed limit is 50km/h, traffic jam speed is 108 km/h"
- Speed limits
- Lane Guidance (incl. hazards)
- Vehicle types (incl. type-specific turn restrictions)
- Navigation signs & Traffic signs
- TopWazers version w/map debug information
- Add option to manually reorder favorites (Android)
- List of (own) URs in Editor, even if closed recently
- Access to bug tracking (ticketing) system for betatesters (at least read-only)
- IMPORTANT: What kind of hazard is ahead?
- Time vs. Distance of Hazard ahead
- More destination alternatives in "Driving to...?". POI icons in map.
- Glipko: Show railroads in client map
- Have an option to opt-out from automatic traffic reporting (BUS drivers, bikers, etc)