These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Compass shows wrong direction while in motion

Post by
I've looked through the boards and don't see this problem addressed. Sorry if it's a duplication.

I use Waze on an iPhone 6.

When I display the compass in dynamic mode, it shows the wrong direction. For instance, when I'm heading SE the compass will show that I'm heading SW. It's essentially a mirror image of what should be displayed.

I've check the iPhone's compass and it works properly, always pointing in the correct direction. I did a re-calibration of the iPhone compass but that had no effect.

Does anyone else see this issue or is there a solution?

Thanks,

Jim

POSTER_ID:17225205

Send a message

Post by Discovandc
Hello, I am just seeing if this has been addressed somehow my S8 S10 and now my S20 ultra its all the same when I am driving east on a 2-way street and I stop the compass will show I am going west. I know this is an old post but this has been going on for some time now. and I would like to know if there is a fix for this> doing ride share this is a big problem. It might tell me it will take longer to get to the pickup spot and the rider might cancel the ride.

Thank you for your help
Discovandc
Send a message

Post by FzNk
The compass on the map really just shows the orientation of the map itself and shouldn't be susceptible to any issues with your device's internal compass. Would you mind posting a screenshot showing this issue?
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta

Post by FzNk
Voxjim wrote: In the second shot, I was in dynamic mode while traveling West on the same road in the same direction as the first shot, but the compass shows me traveling East:
http://www.larksongsings.com/IMG_2060.jpg
In this shot, I was in dynamic mode, traveling East on the same road in the same direction, but the compass shows me traveling West:
http://www.larksongsings.com/IMG_2066.jpg
Both of these are showing the correct heading based on what you've said. The compass needle points north so with it pointing right/left, you're travelling west/east respectively.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by FzNk
mowgliii wrote:I think compass should work same way as Google map does. A dot with an arrow attached pointing in and showing what way you are facing.
It already does that when it detects that you're not driving.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by FzNk
The "needle" always points north, like on a real compass.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by FzNk
To clarify, the map will only point in the direction you're facing if you are not "snapped" to a road. Not being near a road or not having a good GPS signal are the reasons why I've gone into this mode. If you are snapped to a two-way street, however, Waze will guess which direction you're facing and it will not turn you around until you start driving. I'm not sure how that guess is made if you've just started up the app, but it does not appear to be done by which direction you're actually facing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by mowgliii
It is very disturbing that the compass shows wrong direction. Android. Phone compass works fine. It is the app that is wrong. This and other important errors is impossible to contact any support with cause there is none where u can get a reply. Very bad.
mowgliii
Send a message

Post by mowgliii
I think compass should work same way as Google map does. A dot with an arrow attached pointing in and showing what way you are facing.
mowgliii
Send a message

Post by mowgliii
As I see it now. The arrow points at North. But if I face west with phone in hand then then map show road ahead of me, the road that in fact is behind me. In East. So it is wrong. This is if I just open waze. Not in car. Or driving. This is also NOT in mode to show north at top of map always. This is on mode where as I understand it, it should show you the direction you are facing with phone. In this example west. But shows wrong and shows east...
mowgliii
Send a message

Post by Stanswe
North is always north irrespectively which direction you drive or which way you hold the map. How hard can it be to understand this? The compass in the app shows wrong - period!
Stanswe
Send a message