Waze & Apple CarPlay for iOS

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Waze & Apple CarPlay for iOS

Postby Wangta » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:24 pm

So what's the problem? Why isn't this getting done?

I'm guessing it could be a couple things - given the trend toward carplay/android auto being integrated into all cars in the next year, the logical choice is for Waze to add the functionality - but that is way too obvious and easy. There must be a business reason that causing Waze to be hesitant on this. I'm guessing it's one or more of the following:

1. Waze has to pay Apple or some Company (the manufacturers?) fees to access Carplay, which Waze probably doesn't want to do.

2. Waze wouldn't be allowed to have banners show on the Carplay platform, which would kill the revenue model for Waze.

3. Waze/Google/Android do not want to support Apple/Carplay and are trying to build up Android Auto. This is actually pretty logical...yet illogical at the same time - while the car market is and will be huge, simply not supporting Carplay will NOT be the determining factor of winning the whole Android vs. Apple competition - people buy their phones because of other things (price, ease of use, etc.) - not necessarily because it integrates with their car! Dumb by Waze/Google if this is the reason. I don't believe Waze/Google would be this stupid - if they were, they wouldn't have put Google maps or any google applications on the iOS platform!

4. Apple doesn't want Waze/Google on the Carplay platform. I would of believed this years ago when Apple was trying to establish and build Apple maps, but the battle is pretty much done - with Google/Waze being the winner. I kinda doubt this is the reason, but possibly still bad blood from the whole Apple vs. Google/Android competitive relationship? If this were true, Apple shouldn't want Spotify on Carplay (which it is) as it is a competitor to Apple Music (I don't use apple music - so I don't really know if it is really the same/similar as Spotify/Pandora).

5. Enabling Waze for Carplay is expensive from a programming/coding perspective? I kinda doubt it but who knows.

6. Waze doesn't understand that Phone integration with car systems is something that WILL happen and the key is having people use your application, regardless if it's via Android (Android Auto) or iOS (CarPlay). No way the smart guys at Waze/Google are this dumb.
Wangta

Postby warrior1977 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Yep +1
warrior1977

Postby Waz01234 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:58 am

+1 for CarPlay support!
Waz01234

Postby Whenke » Fri May 20, 2016 8:21 pm

I just spoke with the ghost of Chris Farley. And he said (make sure to imagine crazy hear, wide eyes, and hands waving)

For the love of all that is holy, for the sake of the starving children of Africa, For the hope of Humanity, for God's sakes: port Waze to Car Play!
Whenke

Postby wshives » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:19 am

I have Waze 4.10 and I'm having no luck getting it to work with my AVH-4200NEX in AppRadio mode. When I have my iPhone (iOS v9.3.3) plugged into my head unit and start up the Apps feature I can see the icon for Waze on my head unit but when I click on it all I get is a blank screen. I did a Google search and apparently there was a setting in Waze to "Control Waze from car unit" but that setting seems to have disappeared in 4.10. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix my issues with getting Waze to work with my 4200 in AppRadio mode.

Thanks!
Bill
wshives

Postby zliecho » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:46 pm

I vote for CarPlay support.
zliecho

Previous

Return to Waze App