Setting a start point other than "current location"

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Setting a start point other than "current location"

Postby woodvale » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Search for the location from which you want Waze to navigate. Once you've identified it from the search results, click on the 3 horizontal dots on the right hand side of the screen. You get the option either to view it on the map or to start your journey from there. You can then search for the destination for the journey from there.

I think it's fairly straightforward to do this once you've got that distant location set as the start-point.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 via Tapatalk
John
woodvale UK Champ, UK CM, AM City and South London, Jamaica WI
Latest Waze on Galaxy S7 Android 7.0
Waze FAQ UK Wazeopedia UK Forum
ImageImageImage
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby wikicare » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:35 am

RussPA wrote:When you select a destination from a search result, you should see something like this before it starts navigating
Screenshot_2016-07-06-10-48-45.jpg

If you choose an item from your Favorites or History, then it will immediately begin navigation. In this case, instead of tapping the item, swipe right on the item and choose the "i" bubble, and you'll get the three dots like in the picture.

Your are very right! Muchas gracias!
wikicare

Postby RussPA » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:01 pm

When you select a destination from a search result, you should see something like this before it starts navigating
Screenshot_2016-07-06-10-48-45.jpg
Screenshot_2016-07-06-10-48-45.jpg (63.84 KiB) Viewed 5794 times

If you choose an item from your Favorites or History, then it will immediately begin navigation. In this case, instead of tapping the item, swipe right on the item and choose the "i" bubble, and you'll get the three dots like in the picture.
Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1
Image Image Image Image Image Image
USA CM/NOR MSM
WME Beta Deputy Community Coordinator
RussPA
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby RussPA » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:49 pm

You can search for an address that is across the country and once you see the three dots, you can set that as your starting point, so you don't have to scroll for it.

Yes, there is the Waze symbol in the lower left, that brings up your history and Home and Work.
USA CM/NOR MSM
RussPA
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby RussPA » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:16 pm

You can either long touch the screen at your desired starting point, then tap the "i" bubble, then tap the three dots "..." then choose "Set as start point" or choose an address then proceed from the three dots "..."
USA CM/NOR MSM
RussPA
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby nwoodsxx » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:26 pm

This shouldn't be so hard but like many of the other iPhone users on this board, the solutions I've seen do not work on my iPhone. After lots of fiddling around, I finally stumbled on something that works (for me, at least). BTW, I'm on Waze 4.24.0.3

1. First, I tap the magnifying glass to reach the "Search window"; there are 2 ways to set the origin:
.......a. If the origin is a new location that I have to search for: type the address or location and
select and tap on the hit that I want to use as my origin. Next, I tap the three horizontal
dots on the right-hand side of the screen. <Go to step 2 >

.......b. (i) If the origin already appears in my list of remembered/saved locations, I tap on the three
horizontal dots to the right of it (a right-swipe, as some have suggested, doesn't work
for me here.

........(ii) Next, I see 7 options ("send location", "edit home", "info",...). I tap on "Info".

........(iii) Now, I see 2 buttons at the bottom of the screen: "Later" and "Go". Just a little above
the "Go" button on the far right, ANOTHER three horizontal dots appear. I tap that.

2. FINALLY!!!! I get a pop-up entitled "More options:". Beneath this, one of the selections is
"Set as Start Point". Tap it.

3. Next, I see another pop-up entitled "Start point" and it lists the address and displays 2 buttons:
"Cancel" and "Search". Tap on "Search".

4. Now, I'm back at the Search screen and although nothing indicates it, this search is where
you specify your Destination. From this point, you're back into familiar territory.

====================================

If there's another iPhone user out there who thinks I'm making this too hard and could show a simpler way, we would all welcome it. Question to Waze: was it supposed to be this difficult?
nwoodsxx

Postby kumiankka » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:58 am

johnas9000 wrote:setting up a drive to start anywhere other than current location is impossible, I have read it all tried all the options,,
I cant even look to see for another family member how the drive is from work to home, if i am at home

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Just tried this with the latest version for Android (v4.32.0.3 at the time of writing) and it it works fine.

If your desired start point is a favorite: Tap three dot menu next to it, tap "Info", then three dot menu again and tap "Set as start point". Then tap search button and pick or search your desired destination.

If your desired start point is not in your favorites or search history: Start by searching it as you would normally search for your destination, tap the correct item in the search results, tap three dot menu and Set as start point". Then tap search button and pick or search your desired destination.
kumiankka a.k.a. the rubber duck. Quack quack!

Image Image
kumiankka

Postby johnas9000 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:07 am

setting up a drive to start anywhere other than current location is impossible, I have read it all tried all the options,,
I cant even look to see for another family member how the drive is from work to home, if i am at home
johnas9000

Postby JoanneFPeaceful6 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:26 pm

I search for the location, choose it, then It immediately starts calculating and starts the app as if this is my destination. There are no three dots on any screen. I wish I could see the dots because then I wouldn't have had to post this. I need an iphone user to reply to this or I should just get an android...
JoanneFPeaceful6

Postby JoanneFPeaceful6 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:00 pm

That doesn't help me if the start location is several hours away. I would be scrolling forever to get to the approximate location. I have long touched a location close to home, then I can tap the "i" bubble to get the 3 dots but it doesn't help me when the location is so far away. What happened to the waze symbol on the bottom left for the menu button? Do you still have it?
JoanneFPeaceful6

Next

Return to Waze App