Using Waze with Android Auto

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: S9 Android Auto deafault to Waze

Postby Pete_Ang » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 pm

DaveG46Sunny wrote:Afternoon all,

I've just installed android Auto on my Samsung S9 (android 8) and can't for the life of me get Waze to be my default nav app (keeps using google maps) so thought I'd ask if anyone else has had an issues/got it working? I've tried clearing the defaults for both Waze and Google maps, changing both to "ask always" and "ask in other app" disabling Google Maps but then auto just tells me that its not installed and lastly using a facebook place to change my default to Waze.... oh and using a 3rd party app to change my default but still no luck :? :?

Any help would be great ta

If you are using AA on your phone instead of on the headunit, it is not officially supported at the moment.
Pete_Ang

Re: In car volume control

Postby Pete_Ang » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:07 pm

kcuestag wrote:
Tomuk21 wrote:Hi!
Please help a new be, I have a 2017 Seat Leon with full link for Android Auto.
My problem is volume control using my cars controls with Waze, the first sentence spoken is ok but all the following sentences are very loud with no control at all.
When using google maps for navigation I can use the infortainment system vol control no problem.
Has anybody any ideas on how I can cure this problem? I prefer to use Waze for navigation.
Tom.

Another Seat Leon 2017 owner here.

I don't think there's a fix for that yet, not sure if it's on Waze's side or Google's side for Android Auto to fix.

But Google Maps does indeed work much better. :(

Not sure if Waze volume control only works when playing radio, usb and dvd sources for both your case. If so, it's a known issue as it's currently sharing the same AA media apps volume. There is no fix for now except to adjust Waze volume lower in Waze settings itself.
Pete_Ang

Re: Using Waze with Android Auto

Postby Pete_Ang » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:03 pm

9be9f11d95c34166ad256c9cf36e87b1 wrote:First post - so please be gentle.

I've a new Ford Focus with touchscreen and AA. I can d/l Waze to the phone, and it appears on the screen as a nav option along with Google maps.

It also fires up and works fine for a while both on the phone itself (a new P20 Pro), and also on the in car screen when it's plugged in, but then after a while it just stops. Black screen. Unplugging it allows Google maps to be used bit Waze fails the same way everytime.

I've uninstalled AA a couple of times, and have done the same for the Waze app. I've also master reset the cars infotainment thing twice.

It seems there's a conflict somewhere but I don't know where exactly, or how to fix it permanently.

Any observations/advice most welcome.

Greetings form Ireland btw :D

Some of the fixes that are known to work:

- disable system-wide power saving mode

- remove Waze from sleep list and add to unmonitored app list
Pete_Ang

Postby phiyuku » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Not sure if this has been reported but, if it has I am confirming it:

When using Android Auto with Waze the distance is not passed to the infotainment system though it is shown correctly on the Android App screen. This is needed for stuff like HUDs. This is done correctly on Google Maps.

I would also like to add what might not be a bug but, a usability issue or maybe I just don't see a way:

There does not seem to be a way to list out the next directions like you can on the App itself. This makes it hard to see if it is actually the route you prefer as the route summary usually doesn't tell the whole story.
phiyuku

Postby Ranman71 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:41 am

Similar issue. Waze works fine with AA until I place or receive a phone call through AA. When I go back to Waze, it is a white screen. The overlay with the ETA is still there, but it won't let you stop the route or find a new route.
Ranman71

Postby smartroad78 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Been using Waze with AA and mostly it is great. I have hit a few issues I just wanted to report.

When Waze reports that there is a delay because of traffic build up (the red card) it no longer shows any other cards after that (speed camera, hazards etc), it does vocally say about them though.

Sometimes I have had the speedo stop updating.

It can often take ages to plot a route, if it does at all in some instances. Feel like the early versions of the phone Waze which would take forever to plot. Having some form of cancel option to try again could be useful. Unplug an use on the phone it plots ok, reconnecting makes it use that route (mostly sometimes it still gets stuck anyway).

When searching for petrol stations it doesn't search on the route and doesn't respect the station preference settings in the app. As a company car user I have to use a specific station.

Could it be possible to have, like the phone app, an option to oversee the route? Even if only available when stopped. Would be useful to ensure destination is correct on the map and useful to have a mental map in case Waze or the car's AA implementation crashes (has happened a few times, I like to know the general route I am taking).

Lastly, could it be made to follow the colour settings from the main app as well, the grey is, well, dull ;)
smartroad78

Postby tcalvert317 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:54 am

I received a UR comment that stated they were having problems with Android Auto after the last update. I will direct them here.

Thanks,

Ted
tcalvert317
State Manager
State Manager

In car volume control

Postby Tomuk21 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi!
Please help a new be, I have a 2017 Seat Leon with full link for Android Auto.
My problem is volume control using my cars controls with Waze, the first sentence spoken is ok but all the following sentences are very loud with no control at all.
When using google maps for navigation I can use the infortainment system vol control no problem.
Has anybody any ideas on how I can cure this problem? I prefer to use Waze for navigation.
Tom.
Tomuk21

Previous

Return to Waze App