Using Waze with Android Auto

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Using Waze with Android Auto

Postby cadd918 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:42 am

What exactly does checking the "unknown sources" box do?
cadd918

Waze + Android Auto + making/receiving calls problems

Postby Zeux79 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi,

first of all I'm sorry for my poor English...

My Apps Version:
- Waze: 4.57.1.0
- Android Auto: 4.8.594324-release
- My phone is Xiaomi MI 9 with MIUI Globa 11.0.6 (Android 10)

Waze whith Android Auto works correctly until I make/receive calls. During calls Waze, I think, loses GPS signal and the navigation stops to work. When the call is over, after 10-15 seconds waze returns to work correctly. Battery optimization is turned off for Waze and Android auto.
Could someone help me, please?

Thank you very much
Zeux79

Postby vince1612 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:26 pm

Staff has opened a dedicated feedback form for the GPS bug with Android Auto:Form URL: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

Please fill and submit if you have that issue.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Fredo-p » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:10 am

vince1612 wrote:Staff has opened a dedicated feedback form for the GPS bug with Android Auto:
Form URL: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

Please fill and submit if you have that issue.

Question with the form. It says car model. What about those who are using aftermarket receivers that have AA capabilities?
[ img ][ img ]
Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

Postby vince1612 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:26 am

I'm only guessing but I guess you could use that field to provide references/details for the device you use and specify it's not a car model.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby e1157cedb1224350b64daa38c7e5b34e » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:45 pm

Resolved my issue of Waze losing GPS only while using Andriod Auto on my Samsung Note 9

Settings > Device Care > Battery Icon > Power Mode > Optimized (or High Performance)

I hope this helps
e1157cedb1224350b64daa38c7e5b34e

Postby Fredo-p » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:24 am

e1157cedb1224350b64daa38c7e5b34e wrote:Resolved my issue of Waze losing GPS only while using Andriod Auto on my Samsung Note 9

Settings > Device Care > Battery Icon > Power Mode > Optimized (or High Performance)

I hope this helps

I don't understand why this was done. I switched it to Performance a while ago. Then again there was a big android update so that probably reset it.

I'll see if this resolves the issue of my GPS lag.

On a separate note I do have another issue related to this. I can tell when I'm going to have an issue because the map recenter icon is showing on the map. The only way to get rid of this is to pan the map, click the recenter icon and it goes away. This only happens on initial start. If it's showing then I'm going to have lag issues. This only happens when AA connects to my radio unit.
[ img ][ img ]

Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

Postby mariettagecko » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:59 pm

I'm having this problem as well. My battery has been set to High Performance for a while (ever since I started trying to deal with the issue). The *ONE* solution (if you can call it that) I have found to be effective is to lock updates on my phone (so that updates only happen if I actively choose to install them), uninstall Android Auto, then reinstall AA v4.6.593334 or earlier. From there, the phone will track me properly in Waze. Unfortunately, that "solution" is untenable for me, since I am not willing (or in some ways, able) to sacrifice security on my device for the sake of waze reliability.

As a workaround, I can run some other GPS-enabled app (Pokemon Go, Harry Potter Wizards United, Ingress, etc.) on the phone itself and then the GPS data doesn't get lost. At least, not as long as the screen remains active. If the screen goes to sleep due to no touches, GPS is almost instantly lost. An alternate workaround is to start Google Maps on the car head unit once AA connects to the phone, then switch back to Waze, but that's nontrivial to do while trying to drive.

I'll also note that I'm still having multiple issues with Waze apparently restarting on my head unit in the car, but I don't think that issue is directly related to this one, and this one is almost a show-stopper for me.
mariettagecko

Postby Fredo-p » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:08 am

mariettagecko wrote:An alternate workaround is to start Google Maps on the car head unit once AA connects to the phone, then switch back to Waze, but that's nontrivial to do while trying to drive.

This is what I was doing at first but it proved useless since Waze would still lag and jump all over the place. Now I just run Gmaps on my head unit and Waze on my phone. But I have Waze set so it doesn't shut the screen off and I'm always plugged into my car or truck.
[ img ][ img ]

Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

No GPS

Postby karl_db » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 pm

WAZE cannot find GPS in the current version. I'm using a Mi Mix 2 with all the latest software. All apps are up to date. Other GPS reliant apps are working fine.
karl_db

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App