Have any users with newer OLED screens encountered burn-in?

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Have any users with newer OLED screens encountered burn-

Postby TheDonger7 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:19 pm

kelemvor33 wrote:I'll be getting a GS9 when they come out. I might be leaving the Waze community at that time. The product is great but the complete ignorance and lack of response from the developers on what is an obvious flaw in the Waze design is just stupid.

A problem like this can be fixed so incredibly easily by just changing the color scheme slightly or enabling the Battery Saver thing but yet they just don't seem to care.

This is not a Waze issue, it's an OLED manufacturing issue. How can you blame the developers for what is an inherently flawed OLED technology? It is the plasma days all over again, just not quite as bad. But it exist.
TheDonger7

Postby trendygamer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:31 pm

YES THERE IS BURN IN. Waze ABSOLUTELY needs to address this and create in-app anti-retention features with more phones switching to OLED. I have had both a Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S8. I would use it for my morning and evening commutes, which changed from a 15 minute each way to a 40 minute each way around the time I switched from the S7 to the S8.

I primarily use Waze in a vertical mode, and with the S7 it took approximately 9 months for "miles" to be burned in up top as well as the orange report button in the lower right hand corner to be burned in and noticeable - this would normally be during web browsing or anything else with a predominately bright white background.

What's more alarming is with the increased commute time...it has only taken approximately three months of use for the S8 to start displaying hints of the same burn in.

OLED phone screens have been around for many years at this point, and the phone manufacturers themselves have taken steps to keep the static images in the Phone's UI from burning in. Waze needs to implement the same ASAP, especially with the influx of OLED screens from the iPhone switching to OLED. Failure to do so is going to result in a lot of angry feedback.
trendygamer

Postby TripleFun92 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm experiencing Burn-in with my Samsung S8 Plus.
I will provide screenshots soon.
The entire lower section of the UI is "Burned In"
It's very apparent when the screen turns white.
TripleFun92
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby uberrookie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Same here on galaxy S7.
Sure you can blame oled, but it's easily prevented by changing the software. Movable items, softer colors, etc.
Please slice this asap.
uberrookie

Postby VprX » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:29 am

S7 with severe screen burn.
Waze Team, you must try to address this if you want people to continue to use the app.
VprX

Postby VVazr » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Upper screen part turn /distance indicator burn in here on OLED Samsung Galaxy S8.

Waze should provide mitigation to this oled-inherent problem: They cannot fix OLED technology, but they can provide a varying display layout.
VVazr

Postby wazhermangert » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:52 pm

I had a terrible burn in my G S7 (using it 4hours a day). Now I bought a new G S10+. I'm really very cautious now using waze 'cause I don't want that burn again. Any S10 users with screen burns?
wazhermangert

Postby Wazing_Saddles007 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Yes, major damage on my Galaxy S8+. I didn't realize OLED displays would burn out like this. Now I can see a negative of the Waze buttons every time I have a white or bright display.

I SERIOUSLY wish Waze made the Battery Saver option available as Always On. It serves better as a screen saver than a battery saver.
Wazing_Saddles007

Postby WBe99 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:30 pm

With my GS5, I have the same problem with the orange report button.
WBe99

Previous

Return to Waze App