These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Waze Stops Navigation When Screen is off

Post by cba5a3b1d9cd4c5c99261b71e2b24127
Waze doesnt stay in navigation mode when the screen is off. Every time I commute home, I start my navigation route, place my phone in the center console and turn the screen off to save battery (I use the USB dongle to play music so I cant have my phone charging at the same time). Typically after about 5-10 minutes of driving I will unlock my phone to check the navigation route and Waze is no longer in navigation mode. When I re-open Waze, it says "would you like to continue navigating to..."

This has been happening to me daily for almost a year now. On my Google Pixel 2 (Android 8 & 9) and now on my Google Pixel 3 (Android 9 & 10). I have turned off battery optimizations for Waze.

This is really frustrating and it seems like this has been going on for years an no official word from Waze about it. There are multiple threads about this issue (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=250534).
cba5a3b1d9cd4c5c99261b71e2b24127

POSTER_ID:17893724

Send a message

Post by Alberta_Ice
S20+5G
For me it was the location setting that fixed it. Allowing location all the time, instead of just while the app is open. Now it continues to navigate and give me full audio feedback when my screen has timed out.
Alberta_Ice
Send a message

Post by cba5a3b1d9cd4c5c99261b71e2b24127
The problem is that Waze will just stop navigating randomly if I let the screen time out or if I lock my phone and let it work in the background. Sometimes im able to lock my screen and let Waze run in the background, but a majority of the time it will quit navigating at some point after I lock my screen.

Yesterday it worked fine, I was able to navigate my normal commute while Waze was running in the background. It gave me all of the navigation prompts until I reached my destination. A majority of the time it quits navigating by itself and I have to reopen the app for it to ask if I would like to continue navigating to my destination.

I dont use Android Auto, nor Apple Carplay. On my commute home I typically have Waze and either Spotify or Soundcloud running in the background. Music keeps playing, but Waze will stop navigating randomly.
cba5a3b1d9cd4c5c99261b71e2b24127
Send a message

Post by dubla89
Hi,

Just thought id update this. I had this issue once switching to Android. I had to disable power saving to allow Waze to continue notifying while the phone was locked.

Unfortunately now my s21 battery doesnt even last a day

Use for motorcycle and bluetooth headset.

Thanks
dubla89
Send a message

Post by jbehr56
I use Apple Car Play and when I lock my phone it stays navigating. I don't even have to have the Waze app open on the touch screen of my truck, it will pop up on any screen with instructions as I come to turns.
jbehr56
Send a message

Post by JenarXxx
Still some problems when screen is locked. Tried all settings like disable battery optimization, keep in background and location always. 
I Am using it for motorcycle navigation with Bluetooth headset and locked phone in pocked.
Sadly not working.Have to switch to sygic which works in that way without problems.
I hope waze team could fix it 
JenarXxx
Send a message

Post by kchiewtrc1
I had this problem and found it frustrating, but fortunately managed to solve it by disabling battery optimisation for the Waze app. Before that background usage was shown as 0 min. This can be done in Samsung devices by going to Settings - Apps - top right triple dots - special access - optimise battery usage (can just search this in settings)
Change "apps not optimised" to "All", scroll to find Waze, if it is on, toggle it off, and now you app should run in background 😊
kchiewtrc1
Send a message

Post by Mvan231
The OP isn't using Android Auto, but CarPlay and AA will continue navigation with the phone screen off or while using another app via the car system.

OP, my guess is that this is Android closing out the app because of it running in the background, but I'm not certain about that. Are you only locking the screen and not opening other apps after Waze was opened?
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)

https://s.waze.tools/c3.png

Post by Mvan231
For you that are having the issue, what are your location settings set to for Waze? I'm on iOS, and I have mine set to allow Waze to Always use my location. Maybe yours is only allowed to use location while the app is open and the OS thinks that the app is no longer open so it doesn't need location, then without location data, Waze closes itself?
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)

https://s.waze.tools/c3.png

Post by WeetzWeetz
The same is happening to me
WeetzWeetz
Send a message