These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Blurry Street Labels on Maps

Post by toddayoh
I've noticed on my relatively new Pixel 3a that that street label information is slightly blurry but not too bad. Subsequently I now have a car w/ Android Auto and the Waze map street label info is MUCH blurrier to the point of being illegible. However the accompanying Waze text boxes such as the speedometer and directions along w/ corporate logo icons for gas stations and fast food are absolutely sharp as are borders between water and land etc. The blurriness is mostly localized to text labels for street names.

I dug around and couldn't find a setting in options to turn off the blurry label feature. Why would they make street labels blurry and unreadable without an option to turn it off? That would seem to be a safety issue as ones attention might be distracted trying to squint, decipher and guess.

I can still use Waze for daily commute but for safety reasons I no longer feel comfortable using Waze in unfamiliar territory.
toddayoh

POSTER_ID:16888690

Send a message

Post by toddayoh
The issue appears to be specific to Waze street labels.

Here's what street labels look like on my Pixel 3a with Google Maps demonstrating sharp resolution on all text labels and 100% readable:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/487 ... 0f30_z.jpg

Now looking at the same location in Waze on the same Pixel 3a, they are noticeably blurry - If I'm in an unfamiliar area I personally have to study the letters a bit in some cases depending on context to understand what the street name is - definitely taking a step down the path of BLURRY street labels on the phone...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/487 ... 7f97_z.jpg

And finally that somewhat blurry Waze label issue gets exaggerated when I try to use waze via an Alpine head unit with Android Auto. Now those blurry labels are so blurry they are completely illegible! (not pictured but using Google Maps on the same head unit is perfectly sharp, focused and usable)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/487 ... c0ed_z.jpg
toddayoh
Send a message

Post by toddayoh
Hmmm, perhaps this isn't the ideal forum to find assistance with this Waze blurry text issue... :?:

Is there another forum, site, avenue, method someone could recommend where I might find a solution or workaround to the blurry text Waze displays on my mobile devices?

Thanks
toddayoh
Send a message

Post by toddayoh
I check once every year or so to see if Waze has fixed the blurry illegible maps on Pixel 3a. They haven't (I got a new Pixel phone a few months back - same problem).

And I check back here every year or so to see if anybody else has experienced this problem and shared it (or a workaround) with the community... Anybody?

Looks like I'm back to Google Maps for another year...
toddayoh
Send a message

Post by usa_9tw0r76g
Same here
I solved it by going to settings > accessibility and turned off High Contrast setting for text. This was on a cheep phablet running Android 11.

usa_9tw0r76g
Send a message

Post by usa_bt9w2g0v
Still bad on my New 6a.

usa_bt9w2g0v
Send a message

Post by YeOldSunny
Pixel 5A w Android 12; seems the same issue; appears the font in question is an outline font. Terrible user experience.
YeOldSunny
Send a message