These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by kumiankka
vince1612 wrote:This is only available in the EU, you won't see this option unless you're from one of these countries:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
I'm from one of the listed countries but the download link is no longer visible in my Dashboard. It was there when I started this thread. What's going on?

Direct link to the download page still works:
https://www.waze.com/user/download_data

Help page also says that the link should be there:
https://support.google.com/waze/answer/9002354?hl=en
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
vince1612 wrote:I don't know, I'm not in the listed countries so I don't really follow or care much about this.
What I do know is that the CC thread staff opened spoke about the feature being open to all and asking people to help them "test" it. So maybe they gathered feedback and are now making changes based on what people said, but there was no post to confirm this it's just my guess.
Ok thanks for the update. It would be nice if Waze would make the download feature open to all users, not just to EU people.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
BigDaddyTurbo wrote:I don't suppose you could make that script public in some way? I'd like to look at my journeys for the last year and assess the average journey length, etc. I am buying a new car and this will have quite a lot of influence on what I choose.

Thanks!
Hi!

The script can be found at the Waze Map Editor ‹ Addons, Extensions, and Scripts subforum. That's also the place for discussion about the script, like help and feature requests & bug reports.
viewtopic.php?t=261936&p=1844473
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
PaulD318 wrote:Is it possible to view MPH data for a specific date and time? I ask because I was charged with 86 mph in a 65 mph zone when both my speedo and my Waze app indicated I was going 78-79 mph. The Virginia Hwy Patrolman who pulled me over was very aggressive even though I was extremely polite with him. Please help me prove that I wasn't doing what I was charged with. :-(
No. Firstly, the date archive is officially available to residents of European Union only (I've seen it been downloaded from Canada as well, but it might had been just a lucky coincidence). Secondly, the data does not contain vehicle speed. Due to the format coordinates and timestamps are encoded in, even though speed can be calculated from the gps positions, the result is good for statistical purposes only. It's not accurate enough to fight a speeding ticket.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
dooogsx wrote:Interesting topic., I also wondered if this was possible after receiving a ticket in the mail regarding my 'alleged' speed passing a camera prior to starting to use waze - i'm a new user so not sure how enhancement requests are done but believe this would be a great feature. i understand adding the travelling speed for all travel would be an overkill, but since it can be calculated from the gps data, the travelling speed could be captured only as we pass the fixed camera locations - this would be good to verify the speed camera readings and confirm how accurate they are on average - the readings would be confirmed by all the wazers that pass the camera on mass. This would help identify problems that cameras surely have from time to time allowing the system & community to advise authorities with technology, that a camera is recording inaccurate speeds - an added check that would definitely prevent speeding tickets and benefit wazers - what do you think?
Waze as a company clearly wants to stay away of all the legal perils related to driver breaking rules. And I fully understand that. (Yes, behind all this community stuff is an Israel-origin commercial entity owned by Google)

The GPS data in the archive is stored so that all recorded GPS positions are clamped to the road the car was travelling on at the time, not the actual postion seen by the GPS receiver in the phone. It makes GPS points appear at irregular intervals even when car was travelling on steady speed. So it's not raw data that could be used to check speed at a given point. An average speed calculated over multiple records is accurate enough for statistical purposes (I use it together with color by speed coding to verify speed limits on WME) but like I've said, it's not accurate enough for pretty much any legal purpose.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
JonathanBridger wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:57 am Does it also show start and end time of journeys? Or is there another way of finding this out retrospectively? Thanks.

If you just need start and end time with visual representation of the route, you can look Drives tab in Waze Map Editor (WME)
https://www.waze.com/editor

WME also has raw(ish) GPS data of the drive (without speed) hidden under the hood but I don't know wheter there is any extension/script with graphical user interface that could extract the data.

The script I made is not easy to use because it's written as a crude command line tool for someone who's somewhat proficient with PowerShell. It's more of a prof-of-concept than easy to use everyman tool.

kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
world_1axhnmol wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 am Hello guys, 

I have just come back from a US road trip and wanted to download my driving data to build a small travel diary. However I don't see the option to download data anymore? Is there something I am doing wrong? thanks! 

As far as I know the personal data archive has never officially been available to anyone outside European Union. So it's a GDPR thing. If you want to test your luck, there should  be direct download link somewhere in this thread or in some other thread, but no idea if it still works.

kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
BigDaddyTurbo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:08 am Has the period that this covers changed?  I can only see data for the last 4 weeks.

My last archive covered 11 weeks, which is a bit weird period. Might be countrly/region specific. Can't remember what was the usual retention period in EU for this kind of data.

kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by PaulD318
Is it possible to view MPH data for a specific date and time? I ask because I was charged with 86 mph in a 65 mph zone when both my speedo and my Waze app indicated I was going 78-79 mph. The Virginia Hwy Patrolman who pulled me over was very aggressive even though I was extremely polite with him. Please help me prove that I wasn't doing what I was charged with. :-(
PaulD318
Send a message

Post by PaulD318
Ok guys -that's what I was afraid of. It looks like an expensive attorney is in my not-too-distant future. :-(

Thanks for your help.
PaulD318
Send a message