Waze took me down a dangerous unpaved trail

Post by sak90027
Today I used waze to meet a client in a mountain property in Boulder County, CO. I live in the area and thought the map route was a bit odd. But I took a look and it seemed the most straight forward. Well, straightforward but it took me through an incredibly dangerous and rocky mountain pass road that was not only unpaved but rocky and not drivable. I was in my SUV and turned around. I missed my appointment with my client who was understanding. The other issue is that these mountain passes do not have any celluar phone reception. If I was not local and was not in an SUV I would have been in a very dangerous situation. We also had flash floods today and these mountain passes with rocks become slick. 

How do I edit this so this doesn't happen to anyone else? 
sak90027

Post by sak90027
So do you need cell service on mapped at or my home? i have perfect internet at my home. I will say that if you check off unpaved road it will take you the proper route but I only figured that out afterwards. I was trying to get to Four Mile Canyon Rd. and it took me up Sugarloaf Rd to Switzerland Trail. NO ONE should be going down Switzerland Trail unless they have an off-road jeep. 
sak90027

Post by kumiankka
I've never visited USA, not to mention Boulder, CO, but after following a certain popular Boulder based, car related YouTube channel for several years, even I know that The Switzerland Trail is no place for regular cars  :) Waze shouldn't consider it as a viable option when providing routes.

kumiankka

Post by sak90027
The address I was trying to get to is: 8768 Four Mile Canyon in Boulder. It is someone's private residence (not mine) however, the home is for sale. If you're not paying attention, Waze will take you up Sugarloaf Rd then up Sugarloaf Mtn Rd. Somehow Waze will not mention Switzerland Trail as part of this route. There are two Switerland Trails. The one that veers Southwest is not paved but somewhat drivable. This road will take you to the dispersed camping areas and eventually to Peak to Peak Hwy. in Nederland. The one that Waze had asked me to go down is not a graded dirt road. An Ungraded dirt road, if you can imagine is comprised of rocks and boulders. We have graded dirt roads in the mountains. A good example is Gold Hill Rd. While it's not paved, one can drive this easily in a regular rental car. I did eventually turnaround as my AWD truck was not able to handle this road. Keep in mind, I live in Boulder and used to dirt roads. This not a simple unpaved road. This is a really dangerous road and if there is any preciptaion, it will potentially turn into a bad situation. 
sak90027

Post by sak90027
turbomkt wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:45 pm
vince1612 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:31 am The Switzerland Trail he's speaking about appears to be in Boulder Colorado, I was curious about it :)

https://waze.com/editor?env=usa&lat=40. ... 369&zoom=3

You can see that it connects Four Mile Canyon Rd (North) to Sugarloaf Rd (South) which are the two other mentioned road names.

This was my assumption as well, but without knowing the address it's a lot of supposition to determine the issue and correct it.   I'm not sure why I asked what state in my second response.  I really just wanted the address.

Can this get moved to the Colorado forum?

Should I repost this in CO forum? Not sure how to move this other than reposting. Thanks!

sak90027

Post by sak90027
kumiankka wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:32 am I've never visited USA, not to mention Boulder, CO, but after following a certain popular Boulder based, car related YouTube channel for several years, even I know that The Switzerland Trail is no place for regular cars  :) Waze shouldn't consider it as a viable option when providing routes.

I agree. We have a lot of tourism here in CO. Most rental car places will not rent out an SUV with AWD. Even if you rent an SUV it will not be AWD. You have to go to companies that will rent out AWD cars. A regular Enterprise of Hertz have SUV's but not ones capable of handling rocks and Boulders. Not many tourists would be going to my destination but I can see many going for a joy ride to drive through the mountains. Thank you for understanding. Someone gets it!

sak90027

Post by chucksways
Thank you for reaching out.  We have corrected the map.  Please allow a few days for the app to update.

Thanks to @turbomkt  getting this fix started and moved to the CO forum.

Chuck
CO State Manager
chucksways

Post by JoshJMM
We did a lot of clean up work in that area yesterday. Directions should keep drivers on drivable roads now. The changes should go live tonight.
JoshJMM
State Manager
State Manager

Post by sak90027
JoshJMM wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:18 pm We did a lot of clean up work in that area yesterday. Directions should keep drivers on drivable roads now. The changes should go live tonight.

Thank you. I appreciate it. There are various "off road" types of roads in CO. We also have a ton of tourists who rent regular sedans and go to the mountains. We've had crazy rains here recently and things can turn very quickly here from sunny to flash floods. If someone from another area/country decided to go for scenic drive they would surely get stuck if not worse. Thanks!
sak90027

Post by JoshJMM
I know, Chuck and I live in Colorado. I used to go up to Boulder quite often before COVID. I need to find some time to go up there again.
JoshJMM
State Manager
State Manager