These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Suggestions for Waze app

Post by p2rlirax
Hello!

Here are some features that I miss (and why I need to use my Garmin sometimes):

1)App should be able to save a favorite point lat long coordinates. It's always good to share a navigation point to somebody who uses some other navigation system. Coordinates work always.
Addresses make a big mess most of the time. Specially in french language with lot of stupid letters that does not exist in english.
Also I can not see current place's coordinates at all anywhere in the App when somebody calls and asks my location. I need it every week many times. And then I put my call waiting, open my Garmin or some android app to look my coordinates.

2)App should give me an option to see my driven routes (navigation logs) on my screen during navigation. It's a must option if you work and drive in forest. There should be options for how long time or how many last kilometers you would like to see. My old Garmin keeps and shows me about last 1500 km for example. Then starts to overwrite. My Nissan Navara factory navigation shows a color bubbles on last 500km of driven roads.

3)I'd like to see the button: "add current location as home".

4)I'd like to enable satellite image layer sometimes. Then I have to switch to Google Maps.

5)In France, the cellular coverage is probably about 90% of the country. There's nothing to do with Waze on other 10%. A nice option would be saving offline maps on SD.

What do you think if we can find any of those options in Waze soon?
p2rlirax

POSTER_ID:16956368

Send a message

Post by alexs001
You can toggle the display of GPS coordinates by searching for "##@coord" in the navigate screen.

Reference: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Search_codes
alexs001
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 9
Send a message
Local Champ: Canada
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC / Newfoundland and Labrador

https://s.waze.tools/c6.png https://s.waze.tools/s0500.png

Post by Edward50095
I have to say, I agree with the first reply, which was well stated. You are wanting something it was never intended to be.

Almost none of your requests would be useful to me or the VAST majority of people using WAZE. Record keeping, tailored zoom/speed ratios, the ability to return to buried treasure in the woods. Yes, even the use of coordinates instead of street addresses is something the typical user would not use.

However, you can tap a road on the map and a white label will come up, and if you then tap the blue i on the right of the label you can navigate to a street without knowing the address or street name.

This cannot be done from the route preview map you are shown during setting up a new route. And I don't even see the route preview map if I am navigating to something I picked off my history. If I retype that same address in I will get the preview map. On that map if you tap the enlarge button you can pan the map around to see if you see better routes or to see if you see roads that you want to avoid.

But you cannot tap this map and drop pins on it. You do that on the map that shows you in real time.
Edward50095
Send a message

Post by felohidalgo
Waze is not GPS Survey app. Waze is for navigation by car, not even for walking or bike. So your suggestions, I am sorry but are pointless. if you are needing those features I recommend you Handy GPS, It is a good app for Survey and it does all you are asking for.

About your point 5, Yes Waze actually stores all maps in the phone. You can download them previously at home. Of course, the real time data wont work, but the maps will be there.
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE

Post by felohidalgo
You can leave your Garmin at home by using Waze and HandyGPS. I worked with GIS for several years and this mix is all you need.
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE

Post by felohidalgo
All your driven tracks are in the editing server, as long as you have internet connection Waze automatically upload them. Just enter to the Waze Map Editor. In the left panel click on the label "Drives", this will deploy all your drives since you begun using Waze.
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE

Post by Fish1552
Add another for "Add Current Location". I recently moved into a new house and had to add the house number into the editor. The problem is, the app does not find the address (I've verified the location is correct for the house number) and instead puts my "Home location" about 3 miles down the road.

My work address is the same - due to restrictions against adding addresses where I work.
Fish1552
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by p2rlirax
How can you say that showing current LONG LAT coordinates, is pointless? It's maybe pointless for you, if you are not used to navigate by coordinates. But for me it's a big miss. I have saved lots of personal POIs to my favorites and today I can navigate to them with Waze by inserting coordinates. Are you sure I could find all this places (many of them without street names) without using the coordinate system?

Coordinates is the base of any GPS device, why hide them from users?
Coordinates are precise.
Coordinates never mess you up (of course you need to understand basics about decimal degrees and minutes-seconds)

Why not make it better? Some more features and one can leave his Garmin home.
p2rlirax
Send a message

Post by p2rlirax
felohidalgo wrote:You can leave your Garmin at home by using Waze and HandyGPS. I worked with GIS for several years and this mix is all you need.
I have Garmin GPSMAP 78cs (it is handy) for that but it's one extra toy to carry with you every time just to see coordinates. Ok, it saves my tracks also. And measures distances and areas. Of course it's too much to put in Waze. But it would not be a big change to allow users (by checking the checkbox) to see coordinates and recently driven track logs on the map. The device has all the info anyway. Would be very easy to modify the app lil'bit.
p2rlirax
Send a message