Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Difference between "My Lane" & "Other Lane"

Post by zhong_chai
Hi everyone. This might be even an English question. I'd like to know the proper definition of "Lane". Let's take the following as an example.

I'm driving on a highway going northbound. This particular highway has 3 lanes. I am driving on the left most lane. My question is if I detect a heavy traffic on the right most lane, do I report as "My Lane" or "Other lane" ??

If the answer is "My lane" then i'd assume "Other lane" is for the southbound traffic which I can see because i'm on the opposite side.

If the answer is "Other lane" then is the GPS really THAT ACCURATE to be able to differentiate these 3 lanes which is probably just 1 or 2 meters apart?

The purpose of me asking this question is because I was driving northbound which was very smooth but I noticed a car accident on the southbound road just beside and I wanted to make a report. I'm not sure if reporting it as "Other lane" is what I want to do. So I'd ask here before I making a false report. Hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to say. Thanks!
zhong_chai

POSTER_ID:2283485

Send a message
Malaysian Wazer :)

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
FYI, this has been asked before.

EDIT, now that unwallflower has already answered...

This is supposed to work even for a split roadway. However, there are bugs with this and it doesn't always work. Waze is also working on the option for both "lanes." The buttons used to say something different, but it was confusing. It still isn't all that good. I proposed "My dir" and "Opp dir" but any shortening of words also needs to work for other languages.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I shall endeavor to add it to the FAQ.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Darthreflon
I agree that both lanes are needed for an option but when I see my lane or other lane there are arrows showing which direction. So my lane has an arrow pointing straight ahead and other lane has an arrow pointing behind me. Not sure if you guys saw that or not.
Darthreflon
Send a message

Post by emerson42
I've had it do wonky things like interpret the service road for the direction I'm going in as the "other lane". The intention was for the corresponding main lane going in the other direction, not the service road.
emerson42
Send a message

Post by five-driver
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: This is supposed to work even for a split roadway. However, there are bugs with this and it doesn't always work. Waze is also working on the option for both "lanes." The buttons used to say something different, but it was confusing. It still isn't all that good. I proposed "My dir" and "Opp dir" but any shortening of words also needs to work for other languages.
Might want to think about"
Oncoming shoulder, Oncoming lanes, Median, My Lanes, My Shoulder.

When I was driving into work on a snowing morning, there was a fair number of people in the ditches. which means tow trucks/cops on side of roads. and allowing you to report for the median (which impacts both sides) might be helpful.

If it is not a split lane, then median just becomes redundant, or it could be Median/middle of road...
five-driver
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
If there is something in the median it would affect both direction so just use that option when it's enabled. Wording needs changed as there is confusion here. It's not lanes, it's travel directions. We're not talking about reports for separate lanes of a carriageway or freeway, that's just overkill.

Sent from my Telenor_OneTouch using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by lurker101
Pjboi wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:FYI, this has been asked before.

I proposed "My dir" and "Opp dir" but any shortening of words also needs to work for other languages.
Really ? My bad. I actually searched everywhere for half an hour before I post this. I kinda guessed it but I just want to confirm it before I get reported for posting fake traffic reports hehe. Your idea of "My dir" and "Opp dir" is better IMHO. Anyway if this is a repeat I guess I should close this. Sorry again.
My dir & Opp dir got my vote. I was very confused about it.

The search engines are usually not so good on most forums.
lurker101
Send a message

Post by Timbones
The graphics need updating for left- drive countries too...

via Tapatalk
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by unwallflower
"My Lane" is for all reports on your side of the road, in the same traveling direction as you. "Other Lane" is for all reports traveling on the other side, in the opposite direction.
unwallflower
Send a message