These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

IOS app: "My side" vs "Other side"

Post by cooz531
I need some clarity on this topic. When posting a new report, the option exists to choose either "MY SIDE" or "OTHER SIDE."

To me, this means if I am traveling NORTH, and select "OTHER SIDE", then the report should be noted for the SOUTH-bound direction (or just the opposite direction). However, it appears to me that the app indicates it to be the same direction, just the "other side" of the highway. If I post a report and select "OTHER SIDE" and go back and view the report, the icon changes from right to left, but the direction of travel is still the same (i.e NORTH).

So if that is the true case, is there a way to tell the people who are traveling in the opposite direction of me that there is a hazard (or policeman) on their side of the highway? (If I am traveling NORTH, how do I warn the SOUTH bound people?)
cooz531

POSTER_ID:16965028

Send a message

MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by sketch
Simply put, no. This feature has sadly not worked properly for a very long time – so long, in fact, that I'm not sure if my memories of it working are real or made-up. It's a well-known bug, though.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Let me be clear – what I meant when I said that it might have worked someday in the past is that it might have worked for split one-way roads. It's on the radar to be fixed sometime in the future, but other things are higher priority, I think.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by SwenVandenberk
It does work, but only on 2-way segments. Highways are split up in two separate 1-way segments (one for each direction). Using the 'Other side' on a highway will show the icon on the map, but NOBODY will get a vocal warning about it because on your 1-way segment, nobody is driving in the other direction.

Waze cannot detect that there is another separate 1-way segment for the other direction where it can put your 'other side' warning.

On 2-way segments, this works correctly because there are people driving on the other side (direction) of the segment you are driving on.
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message