iOS 3.8.1 Feedback Thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: iOS 3.8.1 Feedback Thread

Postby sketch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Some of us beta testers have confirmed it's a difference between the current release and the current beta... I will make sure staff knows.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby srichgtr » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 am

Delete and reinstall I have just done. It's made no difference. Background app refresh still isn't available.

Found the login again. It kept asking for a phone number.

I restarted the phone the other day so it is still definitely missing on my iphone 5 with ios8.

I only have a very small number of apps that I allow background refresh on. Waze is one and mynd is the other.
srichgtr

Postby sketch » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Odd, it's in both places on my iPhone 5.

I will say that I am testing a beta version, but that shouldn't matter – since Waze already had a background app refresh setting before iOS 8, as I recall...

Have you tried a fresh reinstall of the app?
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby srichgtr » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:33 am

sketch wrote:
srichgtr wrote:I don't know whether this happened before IOS8 but now with IOS8 there is no way to alter 'background app updating' with waze. Is this a change so it can't be turned off or that the app cannot ever be updated in the background? Waze is missing out of the list of apps that can have this toggled on or off.

Those settings were moved in iOS 8. Go to Settings and scroll way down to Waze.

Waze isn't in the list under 'background app refresh' in Settings -> General. Lots of other apps are there but Waze isn't.

In main apps list in Settings Waze is there but there isn't a background app refresh setting. There are settings for notifications, privacy and mobile data.

This is all with an iphone 5.

Where else could it be?
srichgtr

Postby sketch » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:50 pm

srichgtr wrote:I don't know whether this happened before IOS8 but now with IOS8 there is no way to alter 'background app updating' with waze. Is this a change so it can't be turned off or that the app cannot ever be updated in the background? Waze is missing out of the list of apps that can have this toggled on or off.

Those settings were moved in iOS 8. Go to Settings and scroll way down to Waze.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby srichgtr » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:15 am

Update turned off auto lock prevention so screen goes dim and sound goes quiet even though the app stays running. I hadn't used Waze in a while so this was a real annoyance as I was stuck with tapping the screen constantly while driving as there was nowhere to stop and fiddle around in the settings to prevent it. It's not a setting that should be altered during an update.

A screen off but sound on normal for a low energy mode would be useful. If it cut the screen but kept the sound on normal volume that would have been fine but it cut the sound so you could hardly hear it. I'm sure a previous version did do this.

I don't know whether this happened before IOS8 but now with IOS8 there is no way to alter 'background app updating' with waze. Is this a change so it can't be turned off or that the app cannot ever be updated in the background? Waze is missing out of the list of apps that can have this toggled on or off.
srichgtr

Postby kjstech » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Mayhew3 wrote:
nothlit wrote:For a while now (through many updates, and continuing into the current 3.8.1 version) Waze seems to forget my sound settings. I like it set to "Alerts Only" but sometimes I will start up Waze and somehow mysteriously it has reverted to "Sounds On". No one else uses my phone, so there must be a bug somewhere that is making it forget which setting I have chosen. This is on iOS 7.1.2, iPhone 4S. I use Waze primarily while the phone is in a docking station in my car (sound goes out through the 30-pin dock connector).

Same thing for me. I use it most of the time with no sounds, and every couple weeks or so, my theory is every time the app has an update applied, it will revert back to Sounds On. This is really frustrating, because I don't know it's happened until I'm driving, and turning it off means 4 clicks including 2 on TINY buttons while I'm on the road. If there was a voice command for turning sounds off it wouldn't be so bad, but it really should keep my setting until I change it.

I have this same issue, IOS 7.1.1.

Also sometimes (but not always) the whole screen will go dim and I have to touch the screen to make it come back to full brightness. Then in a few minutes it goes dim again. It's almost like going to sleep but it doesn't actually turn off the screen. Anyway there is another thread about that.

Those are really the two most annoying bugs in this app.
kjstech

Postby krikketdoug » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:21 am

I've held back on mentioning this here, because the problem I'm having could be related to the broken bluetooth headset that I have more than Waze. Only it occurred to me, that the information could be useful to the Waze staff in tracking down the problems with bluetooth (Plural, blueteeth? :D ) that have been reported in the past.

Until recently, I've used a Platronics M-25 headset without an issue. I recently upgraded to a Platronics Legend headset. It hasn't worked exactly as the instruction manual indicates, but otherwise has worked well for hearing things from my phone and sending it audio. The primary function of a bluetooth headset. I don't really care if the other bells and whistles are working.

When driving, and using the headset to hear the voice commands, it will occasionally (and randomly) open a channel to the headset (I can hear an audio connection if I'm using more than one phone) and then something breaks, and Waze is routed to the phone's speakers. But *ONLY* Waze is routed to the phone's speakers. None of the other phone's applications have this problem, or are affected when Waze stops working nicely with my bluetooth headset.

As for fixing the problem, it appears that resetting the headset's internal sensors fixes the problem. Most of the time. (Hook it up to a charger and lay it flat on a non-metallic surface for 10-20 seconds.) Sometimes killing the application (double-click, then swiping up on the app) will work. Sometimes it takes a phone reset. Sometimes just giving it time, it will start working again on it's own. Sometimes what works is to tell my phone to "forget this device" and re-pair with my headset. The only thing guaranteed to make the Waze/bluetooth connection work again is to delete and reinstall Waze.

So it sounds like that if I had a fully-working headset, I wouldn't have an issue. But Waze is interacting differently than anything else, so this might be a clue as to the root of other bluetooth problems that might be out there.

I hope this helps,

Krikket
krikketdoug

Postby sketch » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:08 am

JohnDoe75 wrote: :shock: what ? Really, Waze does not use live-info but learned habits ?
I should plan a trip friday evening instead of thursday because Waze knows - thinks people leave work earlier and not because the roads are actually cleared earlier ...

Waze uses both live info and historical info.

Live info is obviously more helpful, but it isn't always available, because there aren't always Wazers ahead of you.

Historical info goes back a few months or so I believe, and if I'm not mistaken it's a weighted average, with more weight given to more recent data (to account for shifts in traffic patterns, etc.).

Depending on how much live data is available, Waze uses some combination of live and historical data to determine your route.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:26 am

JohnDoe75 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
redvers76 wrote:Any chance public holidays can be treated as virtual Sundays in future so that routing doesn't go screwy?

Holiday-optimized (different) routing is in planning.

:shock: what ? Really, Waze does not use live-info but learned habits ?

Absolutely. Historical traffic data is a big part of the routing code. Holidays and other events (closures) are out-of-norm and in order to optimize routing, knowing what days to capture traffic data differently is important for things like yearly events.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App