These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Voice directions are too late SAFETY ISSUE

Post by
iOS 7.1.2
Waze release 3.8.1

Voice directions come in too late. While driving at 130km/h on the left lane, Waze tells me to take the right branch, literally 50 meters before the branch. This is really dangerous, and of course I did not do it.

Basically, Waze gives voice directions way too late. Besides, it omits to give those instructions a first time once in advance (say 1 min before the branch).

I cannot find any setting to specify how much in advance Waze gives its voice directions.

Current voice directions are totally useless, because they come too late. I don't remember having this issue in older versions, has anything been changed recently regarding voice directions?

POSTER_ID:11985689

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I can't say with certainty, but it seems that the majority of users are ok with the changes, though they still are not perfect. There is a small but vocal minority of users on the forum who are looking for more changes. I still have had no late announcements of any kind at any speed. My only complaint has been about announcements too early near roundabouts.

I doubt that Waze is planning any substantial change to voice directions at this time for the next version.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ppwe wrote:Is the behavior setting-dependent then? What setting should I change to revert to a more reasonable behavior?
There is not. Depending on distance or time to next "turn" Waze will by default give 3 instructions before the next turn. The first is immediately after the prior turn has completed/merge onto highway, the next, when at freeway speed, is at 1 mile prior, and the final instruction is at the turn itself. If the next turn is only a mile away, you may only get two. If it is less than 1/4 mile, you may only get one, but Waze should have included an "...and then..." in the previous instruction to prepare you for the quick turn succession.

With 3 instructions, you should definitely have enough time. But there is likely some road configurations or route peculiarities which expose a weakness in the Waze standard/expected instructions. Maybe could you provide some detail as to where you run into issues with getting only one instruction and only at the turn itself?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ppwe wrote:As you can see from these 2 examples, I never get the first or second voice direction in advance, making Waze dangerous or, in best case, useless for me.
Sorry, but what I meant by "example" was show me the route on a map, like from your Drives in the map editor as one possible way. With more information like that, I might be able to see where I'd expect Waze to give instructions, or a reason on the map why you aren't getting instructions and look for a way for Waze to augment the navigation instructions to account for certain situations.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Edward50095 wrote:Well that was interesting. Maps (Google) is apparently the source of Waze's deficient turn by turn directions. They are identical.
Coincidental. Google Maps and Waze Maps are completely and totally separate. Google would never run their maps out of a competitor data center, but Waze servers run out of Amazon. Clearly you are way off base here.
Edward50095 wrote:This update that has made my job so difficult was indeed the first update since google acquired WAZE. There you go.
Maybe your first update, but certainly nowhere near the first Waze app version update since Google acquired Waze 2 years ago. v3.7 released in May 2013 about when Google/Waze were finalized on their deal, followed by 3.7.2, 3.7.3, 3.7.6, 3.7.8, 3.8.0, 3.8.1. Any product plans for to v3.7 and v3.8 were finalized well before June of 2013. Then, the deal between the two companies keeps Waze as a separate company with its own management, product team and developers without significant influence from Google for three years. Not there yet. We'll see what happens in 2016.

Please stop attempting to pass off misinformed opinion as fact.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by banished
I find myself using Waze less in unfamiliar areas because of this problem. It is a safety issue. No GPS app should create an unsafe condition anymore than it should tell you to turn into a canal, railroad, or setting a dirt road segment type to freeway so the next unsuspecting user finds themselves flying down a cowpath at 60mph. :x We have control over those things, but not over TTS.

TTS is broke and needs to be fixed yesterday. Because of this issue, I've been trying Google Maps in unfamiliar areas: it has the pre-turn announcement timing right. I loathe to think we'd have to wait for Google to fix this.

Please forgive the emotion. Waze -- with our help -- is supposed to be moving forward, but this is several steps backwards. Frankly, in areas of safety, Waze should not be listening to us (whether we like TTS timing presently, or not), but seeking the advice of professional public safety personnel.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by bart99gt
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I can't say with certainty, but it seems that the majority of users are ok with the changes, though they still are not perfect. There is a small but vocal minority of users on the forum who are looking for more changes. I still have had no late announcements of any kind at any speed. My only complaint has been about announcements too early near roundabouts.

I doubt that Waze is planning any substantial change to voice directions at this time for the next version.
That's not good.

I was getting virtually NO voice guidance from between one mile and right on top of the turn itself a couple of times on a recent trip.

Yes, it was a bit too chatty in the previous version, but they went way too far in eliminating some of the closer in voice prompts. There at least needs to be one at a minimum of 100-200 feet from any turn, regardless of the speed you're driving. I don't need to be taking my eyes off the road to make sure I'm not shooting past a turn because it isn't going to give me an additional prompt until the very moment I should be turning.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
I continue to get URs for this left and right. Waze is likely losing quite a few users over this. Giving someone a warning at .25 miles and then at 100-150 feet before the turn regardless of speed is crazy. There needs to be one at 500 feet or so.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
The most recent version of the app seems to do a little better of a job with the default English voice. There is a warning, regardless of speed, about a quarter mile or so out from a turn, plus it does seem as if they have slightly tweaked the final turn guidance so it isn't quite as bad as it was in the last version of the app.

The worst issue I've found is when dealing with left turns at large intersections with dedicated left turn lanes. Often it isn't prompting you to make the turn until around 75-100', and at a large intersection it may be 40-50' to the middle of the intersection, meaning even at low speeds the prompt to turn is barely before the stop bars.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
And the "turn now" instruction is still a little too late if you're unfamiliar with the roads or the signs aren't very visible. On my way home last night, driving about 30 mph, I was getting "turn now" instructions so close to the street in question that if I had not been driving as slow as I was, there was probably a good chance I would have passed the street. They don't need to add much to the alert, probably another 25-50' would be sufficient.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by bart99gt
One nagging issue is that when approaching a larger intersection, since the turn guidance is based off of where the junction node is, you often will not get any voice guidance until you're past the point where you have to start to turn.

I had this happen this past week when I was navigating with Waze on a trip. Thankfully the 1000' prompt had me looking for the turn already, but it was disconcerting not to be told to turn until I was already in the middle of my turn. IMHO, this is a reason why Waze needs to speed along development of the intersection/junction "box" concept to allow editors to define the limits of larger and more complex interchanges and intersections.
bart99gt
Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM