These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

voice commands and wave commands

Post by ATHiker95
I have an iPhone 5s and for the life of me, I can't get the phone to recognize anything I say to it and waving my hand in front of it doesn't work as well. I've enabled this stuff in settings. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark
ATHiker95

POSTER_ID:8161338

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ATHiker95 wrote:I have an iPhone 5s and for the life of me, I can't get the phone to recognize anything I say to it and waving my hand in front of it doesn't work as well. I've enabled this stuff in settings. Any thoughts?

I should have mentioned I can do a 3 finger tap on the screen and the mic appears asking me "How can I help?", but aren't I supposed to be able to just talk out loud to it without the need to tap?
The settings has 3 options for tap, tap or wave, tap or wave twice. You have to do what the settings show. Waving means you must activate the phone's proximity sensor. Also, Apple disables the proximity sensor when the phone is in landscape, so tap is only available in landscape.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You can say 'take me' 'let's go to' 'drive to' etc. It's documented in the "voice commands reference" thread here on the forum and in the wiki page.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
timbeauFlyball wrote:I find this an annoying feature. Until I read these posts, I didn't know why it kept asking me, "How can I help?" Just bump the phone, bump it with my coat sleeve, or grab it to put in my pocket and I get this annoying thing. I tried many times to get it to do this, but no. When you don't want it, it's there, when you want it, it won't come up. Is there a way to disable this feature?
:evil:
Menu->Settings->Voice Commands

There you can enable/disable and select what it will respond to (3 Finger Tap / 3 fingers or wave / 3 fingers or wave twice). You may want to try the third option - I've found the single wave to be too sensitive (just like you describe).

Also, try to see if voice commands work when you are not connected to bluetooth (car, headset, etc). Not all bluetooth devices support having the mic open for this (I've had several that didn't and one that did).

If you are triggering it when you are putting your phone in your pocket, that means Waze is still running - you need to shut down Waze when not driving or you are contributing false data to the system.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by ATHiker95
I should have mentioned I can do a 3 finger tap on the screen and the mic appears asking me "How can I help?", but aren't I supposed to be able to just talk out loud to it without the need to tap?
ATHiker95
Send a message

Post by jobeleca
Say "Navigate Home" per the FAQ
jobeleca
Send a message

Post by timbeauFlyball
I find this an annoying feature. Until I read these posts, I didn't know why it kept asking me, "How can I help?" Just bump the phone, bump it with my coat sleeve, or grab it to put in my pocket and I get this annoying thing. I tried many times to get it to do this, but no. When you don't want it, it's there, when you want it, it won't come up. Is there a way to disable this feature?
:evil:
timbeauFlyball
Send a message

Post by timbeauFlyball
In my work, I am in and out of the car knocking on doors constantly. It is a matter of leaving it on all the time or leaving it off all the time. I really need Waze to help me find the addresses I have to knock at.
timbeauFlyball
Send a message

Post by xmatador
I get a voice prompt, but the app won't recognize anything I say regardless of what I say or how I say it. There is only a limited number of ways to say: "Drive home".

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1, English, US
xmatador
Send a message