some more details on road shields and VIP users

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Postby krankyd » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi guys,
These two features are only available on beta, and the numbers might not be final yet - but here are the details.

VIP users
We have four categories, which are based on this order:
1. 1 Million points - congratulations asterix06 and mapcat!!!
2. Mega mapper - 200,000 map edits
3. Mega driver - 50,000 kms driven (approx. 31,250 miles) with waze on EXISTING roads. Unfortunately, the count does NOT include kms of paved roads or munching roads.
4. Mega reporter - 400 different users thanked you for your reports, excluding chit chats. This is for all your reports since you started using waze.

The first 3 are easy to spot from your dashboard. The 4th is not visible in the dashboard, so you'll have to trust us on it. We're also checking an option to add a special message that will be sent to each user who became a VIP (so you'll know).
If a user matches a few categories - i.e. mega driver and mega reporter - he will get the higher VIP status (where 1M points is the highest).

Road shields
we are working on finalizing the process - will update once it's done.
There are two issues which are known:
1. When the primary name of a segment has two different numbers (I-80/I-90) the shield will display the first one of the two.
2. We can't display a shield and a name. We hope to add this ability in the near future. In the meantime, it's best to give the primary name as the "I-80" or "US Hwy 101", and the 'local' name in the alias field.

thanks
wazing like a hurricane
krankyd
Waze Team
Waze Team

Re: some more details on road shields and VIP users

Postby dmcconachie » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Woohoo, straight in at Mega Mapper! :)

Will these manifest as selectable moods on the client like the current executive moods?
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ
OnePlus One • Android 6.0.1
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby mapcat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:09 pm

krankyd wrote:Road shields
we are working on finalizing the process - will update once it's done.
1. When the primary name of a segment has two different numbers (I-80/I-90) the shield will display the first one of the two.
2. We can't display a shield and a name. We hope to add this ability in the near future. In the meantime, it's best to give the primary name as the "I-80" or "US Hwy 101", and the 'local' name in the alias field.

Thanks Dror. I like the VIP idea.

Regarding the shields, what about this as a possible solution to issue #2: add a new field, "highway number", to the database and disassociate those numbers from road names. Then users could add as many highway number aliases as they needed, which could take care of issue #1. Seems that there would be a fairly simple way to detect and move those values in the database, and editors could clean up the rest.

For issue #2, I assume you mean the road name won't display on the client map. What about in the driving instructions?

Also, I'm just curious: are the shields going to be relatively similar to their appearance on the roads, or just a generic rectangle or circle?
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby unwallflower » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Mapcat - it seems that interstates get the fancy blue-ish shield, and state highways get oval shields. They look nice!

I'm still wondering what to do about including direction in interstate names. It seems that the I-15 shield isn't displaying for the most part in San Diego, instead it's just showing the "I- 15 N" and "I- 15 S" road names.
unwallflower

Postby gerben » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Where can I see the VIP status? Or is this an US/Can feature as well?
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben

Postby kieranrawley » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Mega mapper man!!!! Do I need to wear a flag as a cape?

It's a bit better/worse (delete as required) again today
(I'll go for a run when I've got this little bit sorted..........)

ImageImageImage
kieranrawley

Postby hallmike » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 pm

gerben wrote:Where can I see the VIP status? Or is this an US/Can feature as well?

I'm not seeing it either.
Image ...when you care enough to Waze the very best
hallmike

Postby mapcat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:16 pm

unwallflower wrote:Mapcat - it seems that interstates get the fancy blue-ish shield, and state highways get oval shields. They look nice!

So this must be the beta version where you see them? Because so far I haven't seen any.

I'm still wondering what to do about including direction in interstate names. It seems that the I-15 shield isn't displaying for the most part in San Diego, instead it's just showing the "I- 15 N" and "I- 15 S" road names.

I was worried about that several weeks ago and asked Dror to confirm that they still wanted us to add the directions. He said yes, so evidently they intend to make this work.
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby harling » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:00 am

krankyd wrote:Road shields

For all the major roadways in my area, the basemap lists the local name in the primary field, and highway numbers and other aliases in alternate field(s). Is it not possible for Waze to check the alternate name fields, if no number is found in the primary name field? The alternative is that we will have to "walk" the lengths of hundreds of roadways and switch primary and alternate names--which, knowing how Cartouche handles alternate names when editing multiple segments (i.e., it doesn't), is going to be a long process.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby rlpl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Will the shields work on the world server? If I name a road in my country like "US Hwy 123" will it display a shield? If the shields are rendered on the client then there should be no difference whether we are on the world or US server.

If the shields are rendered on the client then what about the shields for other countries? As far as I understand the only problem is the number of countries because the rules for each individual country can be simple.

krankyd wrote:2. We can't display a shield and a name.

We really miss this feature.
My previous login name was rl_pl.
rlpl

Next

Return to Waze App