These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Cleaning Up The Highways

Post by Edward50095
One thing I do like to do is remove stuff from the map that is now gone. Like cars that are no longer parked on the shoulder; speed traps that have moved or are gone.

South Louisiana along the I-12 corridor, and the I-10 closer to New Orleans and the 310 area, is pretty much a police precinct. I don't have a clue what's with all the police presence on the interstates between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Needless to say, the map on waze is quite littered with police icons.

We have these State Troopers that sit in the median at several construction zones (all construction is in the median and walled off with a concrete barrier on both sides). They never pull out to cite anyone. They just sit there with their lights on. Rain or shine, construction going on or no. Sometimes ones missing, but he'll be back.

One theory of mine was that the construction company was paying them (willingly) to help with traffic if need be to exit the construction area or bring something large in. And to protect their equipment when they are not there.

We do have frequent wrecks on I-12, a straight, four-lane divided highway. We have godawful number of 18-wheelers. The most popular car is the Camry, followed by the Semi I think. I reckon most all these trucks are only 10-25% filled, and if we could put some small o/o's out of business we could help traffic immensely.

So my second theory on the police on I-12 is to handle the wreck which is always soon to happen.

But my question: As I say "not there" to a speed trap it instantly disappears, but today 45 seconds or so later, it would re-appear as if I hadn't just told the ap that he was gone. So why did they come back? Just curious as to does it take multiple "not there's"?

Also, am I correct to presume that the police icons that are not identified as speed traps (such as the ones at the ends of the construction zones) are the result of reporting "Police, Visible"? Additionally, why are we not able to say whether these police are not here?
Edward50095

POSTER_ID:16957611

Send a message

Post by Edward50095
Thanks, taco, another question.

About three days ago I attempted to remove a bridge closure since it is now open and passable. I removed the gray box over the bridge by "deleting feature" and saved it.

The bridge no longer appears to be closed on the map on my editor. But it still shows as closed on my phone. It had a lock level of "1" on the closure.

If I return to the bridge in the editor, it appears open and there seems to be nothing more I can do to show this bridge replacement as complete. Or is there something more I should do to remove the closure from WAZE?
Edward50095
Send a message

Post by Edward50095
Thanks, Taco, will check on that.

Refreshing the map in my setting got rid of the bridge closure on my ap.

Is it possible to mark a different bridge as closed from my pc, or do I need to be parked near that closed bridge to mark it?
Edward50095
Send a message

Post by taco909
It depends on the level of the reporter compared to your level.

I reported a minor accident on the way home yesterday, and at 1-freaking-AM someone thanked me for it (8 hours later). This was a fender-bender that was likely cleared from the carpool lane within 20 minutes.
The higher level you are, the longer the report "sticks" to the map, and the higher level/more "Not there" reports it takes to make it go away.

Every now and then, I'll "not there" a cop and it remains, but usually they are gone and stay that way.

Functionally, there is no difference between "Hidden" and "Visible"... it is simply an indicator.
And you can "not there" any report, but only as it appears as you approach within 1/2 mile.
You won't get the alert on every report, and if you manually tap on an alert (to see who reported it?) you will definitely not get the pop-up alert because when you tap on it, Waze knows that you are aware of it.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Confirm on the Livemap that the closure has been removed.
Sometimes you need to physically "bump" a nearby road to force the map tiles to update.
Supposedly, the routine for live updates is that every 24 hours, all map tiles with segment/junction changes are updated, and 10% of all other tiles.
This means that if you only change a road's name or a turn restriction, it CAN take up to 10 days for the edit to go live. Just grab a geonode or junction and slip it by a couple of feet and save... that will force the tile update next cycle.

The editor always shows the most current revision, not the live version. Livemap always shows what is being distributed to the app.

If the Livemap does not match your app, then on your app, go into Settings > Advanced > Data Transfer > Refresh Map of My Area
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
You can drop a UR map issue from the Livemap, but here is all you can do without the app:
LivemapReport.png
(15.67 KiB) Downloaded 594 times
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich